PDA

View Full Version : RAF Museum Hendon Visit

Coochycool
20th May 2016, 23:16
Hello fellow Ppruners

Sorry to be so self indulgent but I shall be visiting the above next month for the first time in half a lifetime.

Just wonder if there is anything in particular I should look out for or consider, that will not be immediately obvious? Bit of a pilgrimage and I just want to do it justice I hope you understand.

Not sure I'll have time for it, but ditto Bentley Priory

Any suggestions?

Thanks muchly

Cooch

10 DME ARC
21st May 2016, 07:45
I would say give your self plenty of time, with all the out buildings plenty to see. Last time I was there you only paid for parking?? It is easily walkable from Colindale tube. The early years and Battle of Britain out buildings I enjoyed best. The Bomber Command section I thought was a little dark, trying to give atmosphere I guess! My son used to live next door to it but we haven't been for about three years mind!

Herod
21st May 2016, 11:42
I think it's possible to get inside the Vulcan, but it has to be pre-booked. Check out the website.

caped crusader
21st May 2016, 12:30
I think the Vulcan is at Cosford as part of the Cold War exhibition.

Herod
21st May 2016, 16:22
I was there a few months ago. to watch 558 fly over, and there was certainly a tin triangle in the Bomber Hall at that time. It could have been moved, but I doubt it.

caped crusader
21st May 2016, 17:14
Herod,

You are quite correct, Hendon still has the Vulcan in Bomber Hall.

I did not realise that the Museum has a Vulcan at both sites.

CC

Wander00
21st May 2016, 18:56
I was there a couple of years ago and a bunch of kids were in and out of the JP banging the stick about to ne real purpose. When they had gone I sat in it and the next group of kids (and parents) started asking questions ("What you doing, Mister?") so I took a quarter of an hour explaining what the bits did. Went away and a lots less banging for half an hour or so. Suggested to the museum that with a bit of thought they could have a more useful and instructional exhibit. They thanked me but not sure anything positive has happened

Herod
21st May 2016, 20:40
Wander00; it hasn't. Still the same. My best bit was being photographed in it; it's basically sitting inside a Zimmer frame which, thankfully, I'm not (yet)

Jhieminga
21st May 2016, 22:18
They have an option where you can sit in one of the Spitfires but that needs to be pre-booked I think. I noticed it when I was there a few months ago. Don't miss the Grahame-White hangar, including G-W's office upstairs. In the main halls there are a few displays in various places (such as the medal groups from various airmen) that can be missed when you wander around from aircraft to aircraft but if you take your time you'll have a great day.

Krystal n chips
22nd May 2016, 05:41
Make sure you walk through, and around, the Sunderland.

This may take a while, but, for me it was the highlight of the visit.

When you see just how comprehensive the interior was in terms of equipment, and space, it really is a revelation.

toscana24
22nd May 2016, 07:01
The Graham White Aircraft Factory (a hundred or so yards South of the main museum entrances but within the museum site) is rather special : WW1 and earlier aviation.

Coochycool
22nd May 2016, 13:36
Many thanks to all contributors. One thing I wondered for example is whether any of the aircraft displayed were ever flown by the likes of Bader/Johnson/Galland? Might not always be mentioned.

BTW, I visited Cosford a few years ago and was charmed to see that the Victor preserved in the Cold War gallery is XH672, the one and only I ever managed to score a flight in.

Convenient rail station nearby, I highly recommend the place if you ever find yourselves in Brummieland.

Cheers muchly

Cooch

Umkubas
5th Nov 2016, 14:02
There is a bus, 303 (indicated on the bus stop in front of the Colindale station), that stops at RAF Hendon.

There is a variety of aircraft.....depends on your interest.

I have, in the last two visits, been attending the archive. An excellant service with very interesting information. It is my favorite but I did, on the last visit, take many digital images of the BE2a in the Graham White factory and the Tempest.

lotus1
6th Nov 2016, 17:53
Was there last year great aircraft good area for children to explore in kids section only downer bring your own food cafe prices terrible west end prices for 1 adult 3 children 3 bottles of water 3 sandwiches not much change out of £20?

By George
6th Nov 2016, 19:17
One of the best Aviation Museums in the world. Only disappointment it took several visits before finding the Graham White Hangar open. "Staff shortages" I was told and "ring before you come" was the suggested solution. Living on the other side of the world makes that impractical. Also, while I appreciate space is always at a premium, hanging a rare aircraft like the Tempest from the ceiling is such a loss of perspective. It looks like a model and most people around me didn't even notice it. It totally loses all sense of scale, a shame in my opinion for such a brute of an aeroplane. (Don't get me started on the 'Target Towing scheme', hardly a fitting tribute to all those young men killed in Tempests during the final years of the war).

joy ride
6th Nov 2016, 19:52
Walking through the Sunderland is fascinating. They also have a wooden fuselage from an earlier flying boat whose name I have forgotten. It was found in use as a beach house, restored and won a major restoration prize. Specially made brass screws and nails, beautiful varnished timber, and twin skin construction is beautifully done and clear to see in the curved open gunner's ports. Absolutely stunning piece of woodwork and restoration!

Edit: Supermarine Southampton, they also have a metal one:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wooden+flying+boat+in+RAF+museum,+Hendon&biw=1107&bih=581&tbm=isch&imgil=EveBL5efJ08iCM%253A%253B_43EB4srvcsMaM%253Bhttps%25253 A%25252F%25252Fwww.flickr.com%25252Fphotos%25252F16498755%25 2540N07%25252F7703273368&source=iu&pf=m&fir=EveBL5efJ08iCM%253A%252C_43EB4srvcsMaM%252C_&usg=__6CNKhEoJjG3-WnzFptLrWbN8O38%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjBzZnRgZXQAhVpBcAKHRifBSwQyjcIMw&ei=VJgfWMHTOumKgAaYvpbgAg#imgrc=EveBL5efJ08iCM%3A

deeceethree
6th Nov 2016, 20:02
Was there last year great aircraft good area for children to explore in kids section only downer bring your own food cafe prices terrible west end prices for 1 adult 3 children 3 bottles of water 3 sandwiches not much change out of £20? lotus1, I think I have a second keyboard, with working punctuation keys, that I can send to you. If you like? :E

Planemike
7th Nov 2016, 09:40
:=:=......................