PDA

View Full Version : Training at Shoreham

X-ray Lima
13th Jan 2001, 00:28
Has any done any training down at Shoreham as I have just moved to nearby? If so have you had any good or bad experiences of the various clubs? E-mail me if you don't want to post your views.

Thanks

XL

:)

TTT
13th Jan 2001, 04:59
Don't

Shoreham is over busy, over priced. The management is inept, the fuel and landing fee prices are amoungst the highest in southern england. Touch and go's are the Outrageous at £7.00 a go, which goes some way towards paying the the £45k currently payable towards the airport manager (bearing in mind this is a council run airport).

I am not bitter, just a former instructor at this once great airport that has seen better days. Still I guess one can also vote with their feet.

Did I mention that fuel is 103 pence per litre inc VAT.

I'd love to be able to recommend a flying school to fly with, but all are serverly limited in their future plans as the airport is intent in eradicating all GA flying.

Anybody else care to conmment??

Jimmy Mack
17th Jan 2001, 19:27
Sky Leisure Aviation are down there.

I know them as I used to fly from Redhill (at Redhill Aviation) and Sky Leisure is owned by the same people. Give them a ring and ask to speak to Tuhin (the CFI).

Shoreham is busy on the radio, but unlike Goodwood or Redhill, it DOES have a tarmac runway, which helps when it's wet (i.e. a lot of the time at the moment).

Your only other option down that way is Lydd...but that's a bit of a hike from Shoreham.

foghorn
17th Jan 2001, 20:34
Lydd's landing fee has gone up to £15 for singles. This is ridiculous for an uncontrolled VFR-only strip of patchy concrete on a remote salt flat next to a nuclear power station and a firing range. But hey, it's London Lydd Airport now despite being 60 miles away.

At Biggin Hill, you get full aerodrome control, an ILS, surveillance radar and it's only 15 miles from central London, all for £15.

Even Elstree can partially justify charging the same for similar facilities by pointing out that their field is built on expensive suburban land, not in the middle of nowhere.

Why do some airport managers think that they can charge such ridiculous amounts for such poor facilities? I'm voting with my wheels and not landing at Lydd again.

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 17 January 2001).]

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Jan 2001, 22:16
Hope you knockers of Shorham are speaking from personal experience and that what you say is accurate otherwise any complaints from the proprieters will see this thread removed.

Possibly useful gen though.

PPL“s completed in the UK oop North, in Scotland or indeed in Wales (wait for it henri) are usually substantially cheaper than those in the Home Counties...

Good luck,

[This message has been edited by Wee Weasley Welshman (edited 17 January 2001).]

CRP5
17th Jan 2001, 23:14
Did my very first flight out of Shorham!

If and when I hire an aircraft I use Sussex Flying Club on the second floor of the terminal building. The owner is one of the fairest guys I have ever come across!

Miles High
18th Jan 2001, 00:36
WWW, I can assure you TTT knows what he/she is talking about. He/she (I'm trying to protect anonimity here) has flown in and out of egka as much as anyone.

*It is also VERY busy on good weather Saturdays and Sundays, and you can wait an awfully long time at the (surface) holds.
*At the moment there is no flying club twin based there.

On the plus side however;
*It is always open (hard runway as mentioned).
*It has proper ATC (but not radar).
*It has an instrument approach (NDB/DME but not ILS).
*It has LOTS of flying clubs for you to choose from.
*On weekdays it is not too busy.

Like anywhere else it has its pros and cons...it's a matter of personal opinion!

Good luck

meslag
18th Jan 2001, 02:13
egka wants to be a commercial airport (some may say it is), thus it wants atc
This is what makes it busy. if atc spent a lot less time talking it would be better.
Otherwise its a good field. Good area around with lotsa airspace and difficult not to find it.
Only trouble with the flying schools is there is little diversity in the types of aircraft avaiable for training. (1 cub and 1 chippy)

yesterday fuel was about 89p +vat

InFinRetirement
18th Jan 2001, 13:20
Shoreham is a great place that has seen some good changes and some bad changes but that happens at every airport/airfield. Justification of charges is sometimes difficult to stomach or to see why but thats the way it is.

BUT..........see Tuhin. One of the best instructors around. Been there for years our Tuhin, lovely guy and knows Shoreham like the back of his hand. If it can be done cheap he knows how to do it. Shoreham is an OK place.

Charlie Hotel
18th Jan 2001, 17:01
X-ray Lima,

Check your E-mail. :)

Charlie.

TTT
19th Jan 2001, 05:43
Their are still lots of good flying instructors at Shoreham - The best bet for stability of training try Sussex Flying Club

nuff said

SKYYACHT
19th Jan 2001, 12:20
You could try the Flying Hut, run by Paul Crosskey. Good Aeroplanes, Reasonable rates, and very friendly. And yes, SHM does have its problems, and most of them are ATC based. Anyone used to flying in the US will be suprised by the delays waiting to take off, and you have to make allowances for the attitudes of some of the ATCOs, but otherwise its a good place. Fuel/Landing fees are expensive, but thats life.

Tailwinds

:)

one.dot.lo
19th Jan 2001, 18:50
Miles High

Doesn't airbase have a twin in Shoreham for hire and training?

I used to fly a C310 out of there with them.

Personally I think the field is stupidly expensive and delays are unacceptable. However, from a training point of view it is excellent, it will teach you fantastic situational awareness and R/T discipline.

Otherwise GWC is a lovely strip, but terribly limited by weather. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

You pay your moneys......

ODL

JB007
19th Jan 2001, 21:55
EGKA has my thumbs up!!!
Yep, so it's expensive...big deal, what isn't in aviation !!!!

It's very handy - be in JSY or into France in less than an hour...

And Transair's new HQ is useful for those needy purchases.

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

avserve
22nd Jan 2001, 13:57
for milehigh information The Flying Hut has a PA23 Aztec for hire at just £220 PFH wet inc VAT and no membership fees just good flying fun also CAA approved for twin training
Talk to paul on 01273455177 or
email [email protected]

Miles High
23rd Jan 2001, 05:01
one.dot.lo
I haven't seen a C310 for months. I don't think Airbase have one, but I stand to be corrected...

avserve
thanks for that I'll look into it as I wouldn't mind getting my mits on an Aztec again.

avserve
23rd Jan 2001, 13:30
Look foward to seeing you mileshigh