PDA

View Full Version : Personal Mobility Scooters

pzu
18th May 2016, 01:14
HI Folks

Am unfortunately starting to run into Mobility Problems, and am considering a Personal Fold Up Mobility Scooter for my travels (have seen ones allegedly suitable for Air Travel weighing just under 30 Kilo's)

Can someone advise policy (& charges) re these both by Legacy & LoCo carriers

Cheers

PZU - Out of Africa (Retired)

wiggy
18th May 2016, 06:01
Info with regard to one legacy carrier in the link below...FWIW the info on handling of batteries is in accordance with the IATA dangerous goods regs, so those rules will be similar to all carriers.

Disability and mobility assistance (http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/disability-assistance/disability-and-mobility-assistance#wheelchairassistance)

750XL
18th May 2016, 14:51
AFAIK airlines have to allow your mobility scooter to travel free of charge? Just make sure you inform the airline beforehand and have all the details available (make, model, name, dimensions, battery type etc).

If it's a dry cell battery it'll have to be disconnected and isolated (usually by removing the key) before it can be loaded onto the aircraft. If it's a lithium battery, it has to go in the cabin with you in a suitable container.

I've had everything from 7kg fold up type scooters to the 100kg+ beasts

HeartyMeatballs
18th May 2016, 15:08
Two items are carried for free on easyJet. You need to advise them 48 hours in advance. Please note that some airports lack the ability to load and unload the heavier mobility scooters, but at under 30KG I'm sure yours would be fine. So if you do fly with them maybe it would be best to call the special assistance team for advice. They will not carry unsealed spilable batteries however.

Happy flying.