PDA

View Full Version : How do you check tyre pressure?

alex79
16th May 2016, 15:31
Hi

As part of the pre-flight we need to check the tyre for 'proper inflation'. I was just looking at the POH for a 172 and a 182 for any references regarding what type of gauge one would use. Would a normal car tyre pressure tester work?

Any experience? Suggestion? Product recommendation?

Thanks

Sunfish
16th May 2016, 20:57
first, find a certified and calibrated tyre pressure gauge. better still a nitrogen cart.

Ixixly
16th May 2016, 21:49
Then after you've found the certified and calibrated tyre pressure gauge, forget about that, go back to your Aircraft and have a look at the Tyres, do they look pumped up? Excellent, continue as you were....

No offence intended Sunfish ;) it honestly is one of those things where if it's wrong you'll see it, if it looks a little low grab a compressor and give it a pump up, nothing scary about a GA Aircraft Tyre, they're nothing special really when it comes to inflating them. Just check the pressure required and fill to that with the compressor.

sms777
16th May 2016, 22:19
How does it go again?....."Kick the tyres, light the fires"..:ok:

Old Akro
17th May 2016, 00:15
Is this still pilot allowable maintenance ???

To answer the question properly:

Aircraft tyres use a Schrader valve the same as a car. So car pressure gauges and pump fittings work.

Nitrogen is a technically better gas than air for both cars & aircraft. It doesn't permeate the rubber (ie leak) as easily as air and its heat dissipation is better. However, like cars, most GA aircraft just use air and only high performance cars / aircraft bother with it.

You'll need to check the Flight Manual for tyre pressures, but they are typically in the car domain, ie most are 35 - 50 psi. Cubs & other light aircraft are maybe 12 - 15 psi. The rule of thumb is that tyre beads become insecure on the rim below about 12 psi.

Correct pressure will enhance both wear life and braking performance.

Some aircraft require a hub cap to be removed to gain access to the valve.

The $10 gauges that you buy from the car accessory shops are not too bad in terms of accuracy. Just buy one of those. Don't trust an airline gauge (ie the service station type incorporated in the hose fitting) these are notoriously inaccurate, even before they get driven on or thrown across the workshop / hangar.

Check the tyre pressures, you may be disturbed by how low they are - not many other people check them. And do your car while you are at it.

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 01:39
EAA Video Player - Your Source for Aviation Videos (http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1620037881001)

Squawk7700
17th May 2016, 03:27
These days the cool kids use these but probably not legal for a Cessna.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TPMS-Car-Truck-Tyre-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-4-Sensors-Cigarette-Lighter/151854596179?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201 50313114020%26meid%3D20bbb2b441bb4301b92bfe3adcb1ae15%26pid% 3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D19%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D13115661087 6

TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System CAR 4WD Caravan 4 External Sensors 12V 24V | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/131156610876?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=107&chn=ps)

Capt Claret
17th May 2016, 05:45
In thirty + years of flying I've not once checked tyre pressure, save looking at the tyre condition, and observing that it "looks" ok.

Grogmonster
17th May 2016, 07:12
Well I am really surprised at the comments here. Maybe they are tongue in cheek!! Correct tyre pressure is critical in respect to runway performance and braking effect. Maybe not so much in a C172 / C182 but never under estimate how important in larger aircraft. There have been a number of well publicised accidents in corporate aircraft as a result of poor runway performance resulting in fatalities.

Groggy

Ixixly
17th May 2016, 07:23
Groggy, all due respect, the question was specifically asked in regards to C172 and C182 in which case, as you pointed out, is not quite so critical.

megle2
17th May 2016, 07:50
yea, stay on subject groggy :E

Capt Fathom
17th May 2016, 07:55
I'm surprised we manage to get airborne these days!

How many pages will this go for? :bored:

Mr.Buzzy
17th May 2016, 08:07
Too true Capt. Fathom.
Anyway, there's an "App" isn't there?

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 08:14
Make sure when you "kick the tyres" you're wearing approved pilot shoes.

I think we should discuss what shoes pilots should wear. :ok:

Ixixly
17th May 2016, 08:41
LB, I believe it is generally accepted that the only "Approved Shoes" are RM Williams, they must be Black and always shiny, not more than Size 8, anything larger may cause fowling when using the Rudder Pedals and general perception of "Over Compensating", failure to comply may result in 50 Penalty Points and as always Strict Liability applies.

It is up to the CASA Inspector to determine if your shoes are of a "Shiny Enough Quality", if the day is gloomy and there is insufficient Sunshine around to make your RMs properly "Shiny" this is your fault and will not be taken into consideration by the CASA Representative, Airline Pilots will of course have the benefit of Airport Lighting at all times, GA Pilots are buggered and should have stayed indoors until the sun was shining outdoors.

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 09:07
Presumably socks need approval as well?

"Fowling". Is that what happens when chickens are allowed to roam, free range, in a cockpit?

Ixixly
17th May 2016, 09:13
No, the socks don't need to approved, don't be ridiculous. And yes, that's exactly what Fowling is, everyone knows Free Range Chickens are the best sort and a good chicken can fetch a nice price in the right places, always good to carry around just in case.

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 09:19
Seems risky: allowing pilots to choose their own socks to wear inside the approved shoes. Surely the wrong socks could shift in flight, under G loads, resulting in inadvertent and potentially dangerous control inputs. What about blood flow?

I reckon that pilots should be required to undergo their medical examination while wearing the approved shoes and chosen socks, and there should be a law prohibiting the wearing of any other kinds of socks while exercising the privileges of the pilot's licence.

Band a Lot
17th May 2016, 09:27
Ixixly, CASA under the regs and Schedule 8 state that current data must be used. The current & other data require basically calibrated tools to be used and training on them.

Sorry that is the facts.

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 09:32
Hear! Hear! Band a Lot.

I think CASA should be fining every private pilot who does and certifies a daily inspection without checking the tyre pressures using a calibrated pressure gauge by reference to the current approved data.

We need a compliance blitz. NOW.

By the way: What is the correct tyre pressure for a Cessna 172R on a 15 degree Celsius morning before flight?

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 09:55
That's only acceptable in the Southern Hemisphere. Beware if you go on a trip into the Northern hemisphere.

gerry111
17th May 2016, 10:35
My Pre-Start checklist begins with 'Shoe Colour'. (I have sometimes forgotten to change into my white shoes once aboard.) Then Control Lock...

:cool::p:)

Ixixly
17th May 2016, 10:41
I believe in the Northern Hemisphere you need to use your Left Boot don't you?

And you're probably right LB, the socks are exceptionally important, if they begin to slip and the shoes move there could be all kinds of Fowling that occurs!

And Band A Lot is correct, but I happen to have an Exemption from CASA, they've observed my Right Footed RM Boot Tyre Pressure Check Technique and confirmed that in combination with my current Mk 1 Eyeball and so long as I use to same Kathmandu Merino Wool Socks each time this method is appropriate. There's a large list of rules such as making sure the Chickens I keep on hand don't get in the way and Fowl things up and it took me many many hours of Tyre Kicking to show them how accurate my Technique is but in the end they have accepted it. This is a great showing of common sense from CASA and we should be so glad that with all the current changes to their Culture that such things are now occurring. Praise be to CASA!

Lead Balloon
17th May 2016, 10:55
Well (of course) a system approved by CASA is objectively safe. The opinions of CASA staff are objective truths.

I'll have to seek some guidance from CASA on the left boot/right boot Northern Hemisphere/Southern Hemisphere question, though, because I'm now confused but keen (as ever) to remain 'safe'.

AU-501
17th May 2016, 15:08
Temps should be @ ISA or practically not following high speeds, lots of brake usage or doing burnouts in the car park ( ramp )

Band a Lot
19th May 2016, 07:50
As per the Flight Manual Lead, but it will not be called that- Owners Manual most likely or a POH.

Enough black marks you will be terminated over easy to prove stuff - as history shows.

Band a Lot
19th May 2016, 08:01
Currently and honestly there are folk at CASA that want the Daily Inspection Certification to include all Current Data (chapter/sub chapter or page #'s inc manual & revision # of engines/airframes/instruments/radio's) they also want all tooling used to be recorded on the MR including calibration dates if required for each Daily!

I am not joking on this, it is fact!

LeadSled
19th May 2016, 08:40
Folks,
Simple answer, really, use approved and calibrated instruments (have the calibration certificate available) and in accordance with airframe manufactures CASA approved data.

And, don't forget, when you replace the approved valve cap, ensure that IT IS TORQUED TO THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS WITH A TORQUE WRENCH WITH A CURRENT CASA APPROVED TORQUE CALIBRATION CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY A CASA APPROVED TORQUE CALIBRATION SERVICE.

I kid you not, a mate of mine was "done over" for the most serious crime of not doing the above.

It's AIR SAFETY, after all, and we can all read S3A and S9A of the Act, no matter is too too "trivial" for the bloodhounds of the Airstapo, in protecting the innocent public from the ravages of pilots and LAMEs of a criminal bent.

Tootle pip!!

Yes, such services exist, and the typical figure is 10 inch/pounds. For you decimal kiddies this will be a real challenge.
And do not neglect the relevant entries in the MR. as mentioned in the last post.
A daily will only take an hour or so on a C-172, five minutes to do the inspection, and 55 minutes the complete the certification.

Lead Balloon
19th May 2016, 12:09
Currently and honestly there are folk at CASA that want the Daily Inspection Certification to include all Current Data (chapter/sub chapter or page #'s inc manual & revision # of engines/airframes/instruments/radio's) they also want all tooling used to be recorded on the MR including calibration dates if required for each Daily!

I am not joking on this, it is fact!Names please.

If it is fact, there can be no impediment to naming names.

Otherwise, I call bull**** Band a Lot.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
19th May 2016, 14:56
Wot happens if Ya on the 'dreaded' equator.......??

NO CHEERS...:mad:

LeadSled
19th May 2016, 15:48
Otherwise, I call bull**** Band a Lot. Lead Balloon,
Sadly, I can believe it, the outputs of some recent AWI recruit/refresher training is quite strange --- remember the "how to wash a windscreen" nonsense a few years ago, centered in the Queensland regions --- and there seem to be a number of new "managers" with what seems to me be very limited relevant experience.

There are a couple of recent CASA actions that I would love to put up here, but I fear CASA retaliation against the individuals concerned.

Tootle pip!!

Ixixly
19th May 2016, 20:52
Griffo, in that situation you're required to choose your dominant side and move one metre over to the appropriate side of the equator before performing said ritual :D

Lead Balloon
19th May 2016, 21:30
If it is true that CASA people are doing this, they are doing so in their capacity as public officials. Their names can be published.

It is important that as many people in industry as practicable are informed of the names of the arseclowns who are at large and wreaking havoc.

Until names are named, I call bull****. :=

Grogmonster
20th May 2016, 04:44
Ok OK you are bunch of funny buggers!!! Jokes on me. Sorry I took it seriously.
Have a great weekend.

Groggy

megle2
20th May 2016, 04:57
My sincere apologies Groggy, you were far more on subject than the last couple of dozen posts :ok:

sms777
20th May 2016, 21:02
Back to tyre pressures.....my landings were always softer with underinflated tyres....:E