PDA

View Full Version : BIOS changes when installing an SSD?

Loose rivets
15th May 2016, 20:56
Just idly looking through MS notes and happened across the need to change to AHCI in BIOS in IDE config. Also, changes to the registry. :bored:

I'm on W10 and the notes were for W7.

Is this still necessary in 7 or have things moved on, and was it ever/is it still, necessary in 10?

crablab
16th May 2016, 07:23
Just idly looking through MS notes and happened across the need to change to AHCI in BIOS in IDE config. Also, changes to the registry. :bored:

I'm on W10 and the notes were for W7.

Is this still necessary in 7 or have things moved on, and was it ever/is it still, necessary in 10?

Absolutely no need at all - things have moved on since then :)

Loose rivets
16th May 2016, 10:52
Glad about that! Thanks.

And a warning. Being on the machine I'm going to strip I did try AHCI in BIOS, and W10 started to repair itself. :eek:
Trouble with t'net is the time some of these very well presented posts seem to stay at the top of the search despite being well out of date.

This pales compared to my poking about in the BIOS the other day. (I used to build systems - starting with 386, and finishing about the time of twin Pentiums.) Somehow, and I'm convinced I didn't change it, the boot order was changed. Anyway, the blue screen. "Bootmanager is Missing" did little to make me feel my self tutoring was working.

Now there was no indication the BIOS was seeking the Toshiba SSD. It just wasn't there (despite being able to select it from the initial DOS type screen, where it would go on to work.)

I went into the Advance bit of 10 that fixes things - it offered specific help for the issue - but finally told me it couldn't help. However, when I went back into the BIOS, it was now showing. I put it to number 1, and away it went. So, I concluded the fixit program had helped, but didn't know.

One's bewilderment continues to climb exponentially.