PDA

View Full Version : Canadian ICAO licence conversion

MikeP2012
12th May 2016, 20:20
Hi All,

I'm from the UK, currently in Canada and just about to sit my Canadian CPL flight test, and will then possibly move onto the MEIR.

Is there any disadvantage of doing this and then converting to the EASA CPL MEIR? i.e will airlines look at this as a disadvantage?
OR should I pack it in here and do all the complete courses in the EU?

I have all 14 EASA ATPL exams completed.

Thank you for your advice :rolleyes:

RedBullGaveMeWings
12th May 2016, 23:07
I know a couple of pilots who did their PPL in Europe and did the rest of their training in the US and then converted to JAA/EASA and they're working. One in general aviation and the other for Ryanair.

MikeP2012
12th May 2016, 23:14
Thank you RedBullGaveMeWings.

paco
13th May 2016, 04:54
No disadvantage at all - the Canadian licence is well respected and it gives you another string to your bow, especially as you can exchange it for an FAA one.

NEDude
17th May 2016, 17:03
You do not exchange it for an FAA, you use the conversion agreement between the FAA and TCCA to acquire an FAA license. You end up with both an FAA and TCCA license. It is pretty easy to do, at least when going from FAA to TCCA.

paco
17th May 2016, 17:16
OK, bad phrasing..... That is indeed what you do.

MikeP2012
18th Aug 2016, 23:11
Hi All,

I now have my Canadian CPL, would any of you know...

Do I have to convert it to EASA or can I just do the whole CPL again in Europe?

Reason I ask is because there is a flight school in Poland that offers the CPL MEIR course at a very reasonable price and it works out cheaper for me to just do the whole course.

Thanks,
Michael

rudestuff
21st Aug 2016, 09:36
I assume you only have the CPL? You can get dispensation to do hours as required, but Bartolinis CPL/MEIR course is so cheap you may as well do the whole thing. If you have an IR then it's a whole different matter, and converting would be cheaper.

Griffon_PMI
23rd Aug 2016, 14:05
Exactly, if you have CPL you need to fly 25 hours, but if you have an IR+NVFR, you can do it in 15.

Basically, an ICAO CPL will be converted in EASA PPL and then add a CPL crediting the experience you already have. (at least 150 TT)

For the theory... I think you will have to redo all the 14 subjects here.

paco
23rd Aug 2016, 14:19
13 for the CPL

Phil

Griffon_PMI
23rd Aug 2016, 15:00
Correct, but I think is not worthy to do CPL theory when for a very little extra you can do fATPL... and you have 7 years to decide if you want to continue that path.

paco
23rd Aug 2016, 16:31
Only 3 years because you have to get the IR - those exams only have a validity of 36 months.

It's only very little extra if you are doing the CPL and IR. Otherwise it's almost double the work.

phil

Griffon_PMI
24th Aug 2016, 13:55
Yes Paco!

Youre aware to every detail! :ok:

Again I was assuming that the guy wants the full pack of fATPL + MEIR.

MikeP2012
24th Aug 2016, 19:17
No IR just the CPL right now. Well, based on me needing 11 more hours instrument time to meet Transport Canada CPL course requirements...

Would you know if any instrument hours on the EASA course can contribute to the 12 hours I need in Canada?
I've tried to call Transport Canada but having issues

paco
24th Aug 2016, 19:25
You're probably best trying a regional office for Transport - I always found Winnipeg very helpful.

If you are only doing the CPL, the legal minimum is 250 hours of study.

Phil

MikeP2012
24th Aug 2016, 19:41
After doing some research, am I right in saying once I have my EASA CPL MEIR I can convert it into a Canadian CPL pretty easily as I would have met the hours requirements (using my instrument time from the MEIR training), passed the written exam and passed the skills test in Canada.

Is this correct?

paco
25th Aug 2016, 06:03
If you have an EASA IR you will be able to take the Canadian one without formal training. That was the case when I did it way back when, but they may well accept it directly these days. You could have a chat with someone like Pro IFR in Boundary Bay. They would be more up to speed.

phil

MikeP2012
8th Oct 2016, 18:42
Hi Again,

Would any of you know if my ICAO Canadian Night rating is transferable to EASA? I have 18 hours TT (6.4 Solo) at night.
I will be applying for my CPL under the IAA

Thanks,