PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet Airbus A320 Approach and Landing at Gibraltar

piper mohawk
10th May 2016, 12:15
Hi Folks,

I have a few techie questions after my trip to Gibraltar with these nice EasyJet people. I suspect a lot of this will depend on weather, traffic, scheduling etc, but here goes!

I've found out that civilian arrivals come down over Marbella then to fix PIMOS then to a 10.0 NM fix for runway 27 or VICTOR (for runway 09). Is that correct?

So if you're driving an A320:
Does the FMC take you to these fixes or do ATC vector you?
On arrival at these waypoints (assuming good, clear weather) what mode is the autopilot on?

The runway 09 approach looks a bit more complicated with 10.0 NM, 6.0 NM and 3.0 NM RADAR fixes round the back of the rock. What is the purpose of these fixes? Are they programmed into the FMC or are they solely for ATC to monitor your approach?

Many thanks guys and girls.

chevvron
11th May 2016, 01:51
If it's the approach track I've experienced when flying to Gib with BA, they're to keep the aircraft out of prohibited airspace.

flap full landing cx
12th May 2016, 16:24
Is my experience we fly to PIMOS and the get radar vectors to start SRA approaches. For RWY 27 its a straight in approach which is is an SRA down to 3 miles with the rest of the approach continued visually. Runway 09 is an SRA in a northerly direction (right base) from victor with a right hand visual turn to land.

The auto pilot would be in a selected/selected mode, pilots selecting track and flight path angle to conduct a 3 degree descent profile, on a lateral track as directed by atc.

Tricky approach with difficult winds coming around the rock.

Hope that answers your question.

piper mohawk
13th May 2016, 12:31
Perfect answer - Thanks @flap full landing cx.