PDA

View Full Version : Internet connection in rural area

testpanel
8th May 2016, 16:01
Hi all,

Anyone have experience/tips/tricks on a good internet connection lets say somewhere down in a "jungle" type environment?

Me and the mrs. just bought a home in a rural area with a pretty bad internet cover.
We are planning to install a home security system (with camera's) just to keep track and in case something happens while we are not there, its being recorded, and we can connect to the memory-"disc".

I have seen some systems, remotely controllable, but i am struggling with the connection.
I am thinking about installing a satellite disc and "do it my own way". (i know i need a contract for the satellite connection).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

crablab
9th May 2016, 07:30
For what it's worth, I'd look at what your mobile signal is like in the area - sometimes you can get a fairly decent 4G signal in the remotest of places!

If all else fails, Immasat may be the way to go although latency is aweful! Especially given the price you pay for it...

ExGrunt
9th May 2016, 17:27
Hi tp,

I have experience of a holiday home with a remote CCTV system somewhere in the UK sticks.

It had a direct exchange line (ie no street cabinets) with a 512k down and 384k up ADSL connection.

I was recommended a Bipac Billion router as this gives fine grained control over the signal to Noise settings to allow you to get the best out of your line.

I used zoneminder running on a linux box to run 4 cameras, through a 4 port AV card.

From my experience I would recommend:

1. Get a business rate tariff with a fixed IP as it will make logging in much easier and you are likely to get slightly less contentions so a bit better performance;

2. You need to think about UPS for both the system and the router for the day when the alarm goes off because the power has failed;

3. You need to think about remote reboot because some day the system will freeze at the least convenient moment and you will need to reboot either the system or the router.

HTH

EG