PDA

View Full Version : Dakota over Ascot

avionic type
8th May 2016, 10:37
Smartly presented C47 in American markings , full Invasion stripes flew over North Ascot/Ascot race course at 1125 am today Sunday have you Spotters and movement followers any clues? Thanks .

Contact Approach
8th May 2016, 11:09
It's attending the airshow at Old Warden today!

avionic type
8th May 2016, 11:30
Many Thanks, Does anyone know who owns it ,I'm a Dak nut case spent many happy hours servicing them for B.E.A in the 50s

DaveReidUK
8th May 2016, 16:02
It's attending the airshow at Old Warden today!

The Shuttleworth display programme for today includes a flypast by the BBMF Dakota. That sports invasion stripes but not AFAIK US insignia.

Hotel Tango
8th May 2016, 16:04
Seems it was ZA947 the Battle of Britain Memorial, once 42-24338 of the US Army Air Force and 661 of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Also did a stint with the RAE.

avionic type
9th May 2016, 01:35
Thank you all, I realise I must have been mistaken about the America markings just saw the invasion stripes and assumed it had them, also the eyes misted up seeing and hearing a Dak flying again after all these years.
Still I'm lucky I had a 2hr flight in a C.A.F. Dak in Texas about 8 years ago
oh joy.

chevvron
9th May 2016, 10:09
Seems it was ZA947 the Battle of Britain Memorial, once 42-24338 of the US Army Air Force and 661 of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Also did a stint with the RAE.
It was KG661 'Portpatrick Princess' when it arrived at Farnborough (along with it's sister TS423 'Mayfly' which was supposed to be a source of spares) from West Freugh, however an eagle eyed spotter from Brize Norton pointed out that KG661 was written off in 1945, so how it acquired that airframe number is a mystery.
It was re-registered ZA947, was almost written off after a main gear failure in about 1990 but was repaired.
Lined up for departure from runway 07, the crew reported they had a problem and were shutting down and vacating the aircraft, however before the props stopped, the left main gear collapsed allowing the still turning prop to contact the surface. It broke off at the reduction gear and bounced up, hitting the fuselage neatly in the middle of the forward escape hatch, the crew fortunately choosing to leave via the main door (someone told me the escape hatch had been sealed and could not be used anyway). The skin on the upper wing surface was badly wrinkled because the wingtip was left resting on the ground. As ATC Supervisor that afternoon, it was my duty to go down and inspect it!!
Transferred to BBMF when RAE Transport Flight disbanded in the early '90s.