PDA

View Full Version : Phishing attempts on an iPad

ExSp33db1rd
8th May 2016, 01:10
I've posed this on another Forum, so apologies if you've seen it.

Question ... Mrs. ExS and I use a Desktop, Laptop and iPad at varying times. The Desktop is Win 7, the Laptop Win H'eight and of course the iPad is something devised by Apple, something 7 I think.

The iPad is daily besieged by endless spams and phishing attempts, which seem to be effectively blocked by our webmail - a local NZ variant of Yahoo - on the Desktop, and M'soft Outlook on the Laptop, but there appears to be no effective spam filter on the iPad, although the only "Account" we have loaded is the same Yahoo variation provided by our local ISP, so if the ISP can filter them out before sending to the computers, why can't they filter them out before sending to the iPad. 'tis a mystery.

Any clues out there ? Microsoft Help was no help, and they admitted that they are unable to trace the e-mail headers on Apple products - maybe I should ask the FBI, they seem to have cracked it in the San Berdanino slaughter !

ExXB
8th May 2016, 10:13
What mail program are you using?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203524

Some ideas from the mother ship

Jhieminga
8th May 2016, 20:45
One clue might be the fact that you're using webmail on the desktop. That allows the ISP more control over what happens to your mail. When you use POP3 or IMAP access to a mailbox (as the iPad does) the ISP in some cases assumes that you will sort out the issues surrounding junk and spam mail yourself. As for Outlook doing something different again... no idea I'm afraid but it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft has taken it upon itself to filter some stuff out for you.

I'm sure that there are options out there to filter spam in your iPad inbox but I'm not familiar with them. My approach is to forward them to Spamcop so that the ISPs that send it out are notified. It has not removed all spam but reduced it by a big amount. The way I see it is that a spamfilter doesn't solve the issue, just ensures that you don't notice it too much.