PDA

View Full Version : Asking some opinoin for taking a break for pilot job

TSRABECOMING
7th May 2016, 11:25
Hi,
I am asking forum members who used to have experience of taking a break after you working for a while as an airline pilot because I am thinking about doing this for a year. Did you have any problem of getting new pilot job after you do this?? What is the suitable solution for this plan?
Thank you.
regards,
TS

Massey058
7th May 2016, 13:54
I'm coming to the end of having taken nearly a year off after being in the same company for 7 years. Personally I found it very worthwhile but it's hard if you're a person who is used to working and having a regular income. Even though I was lucky enough to have savings to finance it, it's hard to ignore not having a job and truly relaxing.

That said for me it has been a worthwhile exercise.

Whatever you do keep your head in the game as much as you can. Whether that just be reading, involvement in clubs/organisations or institutes or going for a blat in a 172 - obviously that can get expensive.

The hardest thing for me was the demonstrable loss of currency. I don't think it matters how many thousands of hours you have - if you're not hand flying for a fair few months then you do a lose a bit.

I originally said I wanted at least 6 months off and it ended up being 10. Much longer than that would, I feel, get exponentially more difficult.

Getting back into it, if you are applying to a new company having taken time off will obviously be scrutinised. You need to be able to clearly explain why you did it and I think it would be helpful to be able to show a solid work history before having taken the break. Having engaged in a meaningful project while on the break will likely help too.

tail wheel
7th May 2016, 20:51
I think you are asking that question in the wrong Forum.

In Australia a one year break from airline flying could result in loss of seniority or possible loss of career. It would be a very high risk decision for an Australian airline pilot.

It may be possible in your country due to the high demand for airline pilots in Asia.

Perhaps you should be seeking an answer in the South Asia and the Far East Forum?

South Asia and the Far East - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east-45/)

TSRABECOMING
9th May 2016, 02:54
Thank you for both answers. I am moving to Australia so I need some insiders' info.