PDA

View Full Version : Nick Xenophon to fight for Aviation!

aviationadvertiser
7th May 2016, 02:42
I’m sorry I can’t be here today to support you in your fight for a fair go.

Just last night in a Senate Committee I asked CASA director Mr Skidmore why the ADSB requirement could not be delayed until 2021. Mr Skidmore said it would not be delayed, and it may well be cheaper to implement now.

I do not accept this.

I will not stand by and see general aviation being destroyed in Australia with a measure that will have counterproductive effects on safety, as more and more pilots will be forced to fly visually because of the ADSB costs.

I will do everything I can to reverse this destructive requirement, and if I’m back in the senate after July 2, I will move to have this requirement delayed until at least 2021.

Australia needs a strong, viable, general aviation industry – I will work with you, and fight for you in the Federal Parliament to make sure your industry thrives and prospers.

Karina Natt | Media Adviser | Office of Nick Xenophon, Independent Senator for South Australia
Lvl 2/31 Ebenezer Place, Adelaide | M: 0433 620 850 I TEL: 08 8232 1144 I F: 08 8232 3744www.nickxenophon.com.au

aroa
7th May 2016, 04:23
X marks the spot ! Saint Nick is the sort of bloke that does what he says.

Al last.....at long last. A Politician about to make a serious move in the aid of GA.

All power to NX !!

dhavillandpilot
7th May 2016, 05:49
Is he running a candidate in NSW?

If not Dick Smith would be ideal to partner Nick X for NSW

How about it Dick

Popgun
7th May 2016, 07:51
Great to see!

Senator Nick X is GAs best hope.

PG

Ultralights
7th May 2016, 08:13
https://nxt.org.au/electorates/

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th May 2016, 09:28
Nil candidates for WA it would seem.

Any preferences for / from any other party, say, the ALA Party??

Anybody..??

Cheers :ok:

Dick Smith
7th May 2016, 09:42
Dhaviland. For answers on politics and airspace, particularly Ballina , I suggest you watch my interview on ABC News 24 "One plus One " programme this Sunday 8 TH at 2.30 or 9.30 pm AEST or someone with more skills than I may be able to put up a link from the One Plus One website

Diktator or nothing- shot after three years!

Pinky the pilot
7th May 2016, 13:11
Given that Nick X has voted/sided with the Greens more than any other party......

No bloody way!!:=

TBM-Legend
7th May 2016, 13:19
Nick Xyliphone is a wolf in sheep's clothing . Beware he is greener than green

le Pingouin
7th May 2016, 14:33
This'll work, stick with the major parties who have done so well by you in the past.......

Who else is left with any potential influence? Ricky? One of the Palmers? The mad Libertarian? Playing politics means you have to hold your nose occasionally - what's more important to you? GA continuing to exist or your anti-green ideology?

gerry111
7th May 2016, 16:07
I agree with you, le Pingouin.

Someone here sometimes refers to the major parties as the "Laborials" and I reckon that person is correct. The Coalition and Labor simply take turns in government. If you want anything to change, then you need to find independents who are committed to change.

For GA, Senator X is sounding encouraging, prior to a double dissolution election. But of course he is a politician. And Senate Estimates are really only theatre. :{

Derfred
7th May 2016, 16:27
Given that Nick X has voted/sided with the Greens more than any other party......

Umm.. How does that work exactly? Given that the Greens have never been in government nor opposition, how does one "side" with them in a vote in the Senate?

Senator X votes according to his conscience, and he researches his issues independently. If that vote happens to co-incide with the Green vote on any particular issue then that is merely coincidental. He is not influenced by them nor does he side with them. He is one of the few true "independents" we have. He is also just about the only polititian I have ever had any respect for, and I am not a "green" voter. I wish I lived in S.A.

aviationadvertiser
7th May 2016, 21:46
Well... I for one will be voting for a party or group that will provide our industry with leadership and clear positive policy. Both the laboriberals have shown they haven't a clue..

Ultralights
8th May 2016, 02:20
Nil candidates for WA it would seem.

Any preferences for / from any other party, say, the ALA Party??

fire him off an email, with Cv and cover letter, and offer to run as a candidate for him!

Flying Binghi
8th May 2016, 05:33
Before yer get to keen on Xenophon i'd ask the question of where he stands on the global warming idiocy - is he a true 'believer'. If he's a 'believer' then its all bad for aviation.

Dick Smith
8th May 2016, 08:31
This is an extraordinary supportive statement from Senator Xenophon.

Personally I believe he is a hard working ethical Bloke with a genuine interest in GA.

We now need to see what the other parties will do on this important issue .

Who is going to ask Labor?

Horatio Leafblower
8th May 2016, 11:01
If you check Barnaby Joyce's FB page or that of Darren Chester, there is no acknowledgement of Friday's visit at all.

That is all the proof you need that the Nationals will do NOTHING to change aviaiton policy in this country.

Look at their reaction to the Trucking law changes - they fell over themselves to be seen shaking a truckies hand, because it scored a point against the ALP and th TWU.

We don't fit into their idealogical war.

Vote NXT in the Senate and direct your preferences AWAY from the Nats and Libs. This next term of government will determine the fate of General Aviation.

Pinky the pilot
8th May 2016, 11:20
Vote NXT in the Senate and direct your preferences AWAY from the Nats and Libs.

Horatio; Do you consider there being any possibility that such an event could possibly produce a Senate that would prove to be even more unworkable than the current/previous one?:confused:

Who knows? Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I am scared by the thought of a majority Liberal Lower house being completely unable to enact its Legislation because of a handful of minority crossbenchers in the Senate, elected to those positions by a minority of voters!

Horatio Leafblower
8th May 2016, 11:38
Pinky,

At the last election 54% of PRIMARY senate votes were directed AWAY from Labor and Liberal/Nat.

...that's not a minority!

I am scared by the idea of a majority Liberal lower house being able to trample our social fabric (especially in regional areas, where GA is most important) by following their economic rationalist agenda.

kaz3g
8th May 2016, 13:05
What HH said...kaz

(Nearly stuffed that one)

le Pingouin
8th May 2016, 14:19
Pinky, what's there to be scared about? All it takes is a capacity to negotiate and sensible legislation. Possibly a big ask for the Libs but Tony and Peta are no longer in charge.

Derfred
8th May 2016, 14:21
Before yer get to keen on Xenophon i'd ask the question of where he stands on the global warming idiocy - is he a true 'believer'. If he's a 'believer' then its all bad for aviation.

Yep, global warming must be a load of bollocks, because if it were real it might hurt my industry.

Hempy
8th May 2016, 15:21
Derfred,

http://www.signswithanattitude.com/images_signs/special_signs/1212-09-034.jpg

gerry111
8th May 2016, 15:23
My guess is that after the election, all the fun will start firstly in the House of Reps. I reckon that the result may be very close with neither the Coalition nor Labor having a safe majority.

For the Senate, I suspect there may be a very high number of informal votes cast as traditionally most voted above the line in a single box. (You now need to fill 6 boxes above the line or at least 12 below the line.) The Senators who were elected at the last and the previous election with tiny primary votes will all be eliminated by this change.

Of course, those Senate electoral changes were all about further comfortably ensconcing the Laborials. But that's depending on whose turn it is to control the treasury benches.

Lead Balloon
8th May 2016, 21:20
Don't believe the Laborial propaganda, Gerry.

A Letter to the Editor published on 3 May 2016:Casting a valid vote

I wish to protest at the advertisements appearing in all major newspapers on April 26. They were authorised by the Electoral Commissioner, 50 Marcus Clarke Street, Canberra, ACT.

The third paragraph reads: "If you choose to vote above the line, you now need to number at least six boxes. Put the number '1' in the box for the party or group that is your first choice, a '2' for your second choice and so on until you've numbered at least six boxes."

The first sentence is a lie. You do not need to number at least six boxes. If this system comes into force I, for one, will follow the advice "vote one only" knowing that my party vote is a formal vote.

The fourth paragraph reads: "If you choose to vote below the line, you must number at least 12 boxes, from one to 12, for individual candidates in the order of your choice." That is an even bigger lie. If this dishonest system comes into force I shall treat the advice as thought it reads: "Place the numbers one to at least six in these boxes to indicate your choice." Were I to do that I would still vote informally.

The above pieces of dishonesty are not the fault of the Electoral Commissioner, of course. It is the politicians who voted for this legislated system who are to blame.

Malcolm Mackerras, CampbellMalcolm Mackerras knows of what he speaks.

PS: Mr Mackerras today published the following erratum:System Slip Corrected

My letter (May 3) on the Senate electoral system carried a mistake which might have been caused by a transcription error. The last part of the fourth paragraph should have read: 'If this dishonest system comes into force I shall treat that advice as though it reads: "Place the numbers 1 to at least 6 in these boxes to indicate your choice'. Were I to do that I would still vote formally.

Horatio Leafblower
9th May 2016, 02:43
The Senate's role is to review legislation and use their "wisdom" (!) to amend for the good of the Nation, remove unfair/unwise provisions etc.

Vote in the house of reps for the Government you want.

Vote in the Senate for who you want to review your laws.

I suggest that having the LibLabNats as both poacher and gamekeeper is not a desirable outcome. :=

Pinky the pilot
9th May 2016, 02:51
At the last election 54% of PRIMARY senate votes were directed AWAY from Labor and Liberal/Nat.

...that's not a minority!

No argument with that Horatio. But where did the remaining 46% go?

To quite a various number of candidates, some of whom were elected on very thin margins. Am not sure so cannot state definitely, but I was told recently by a retired Polly that SHY only got in on preferences!

For the record; I regard both the major parties to be a case of 'bad and worse,':ugh: and the Watermelon party to be :yuk::yuk:

The American phrase 'Between a rock and a hard place' springs to mind.:sad:

Horatio Leafblower
9th May 2016, 03:08
But where did the remaining 46% go?

...if 54% went to minor parties and independents, I guess what I was saying that the remaining 46% of the primary Senate vote went to the major parties. :hmm:

Pinky the pilot
9th May 2016, 04:59
Apologies Horatio! Misread your post re percentages!:O

Anyway, we live in interesting times.

rutan around
9th May 2016, 05:48
If you check Barnaby Joyce's FB page or that of Darren Chester, there is no acknowledgement of Friday's visit at all.

That is all the proof you need that the Nationals will do NOTHING to change aviaiton policy in this country.Hey Leafy if anything turns up on Barnaby's or Chester's FB pages let us know. Their invitation for me to *friend* them must be held up in the NBN.http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/boohoo.gif

The name is Porter
9th May 2016, 09:52
Both Joyce & Chester are your typical gutless major party politicians hiding behind the act. Too scared to direct a public servant to be reasonable. The only hope.......the ONLY hope in this mess is Jeff Boyd. I would have thought that a certain person in Tamworth would have recognised that, instead, he grandstanded to make himself look a hero.

If you want to do anything, petition to give the CASA board the power to direct the DAS to act reasonably. In which company in Australia does the board NOT have the power to sack a CEO for not performing?

gerry111
9th May 2016, 16:10
Like you, Lead Balloon, I have a very high regard for Malcolm Mackerras's judgement within the electoral, political arena.

It'll be interesting to see how much effort the political parties actually go to when it comes to advising mug punters how to vote formally..

(And that's not to mention that of the AEC..)

Frank Arouet
10th May 2016, 00:59
Of the 54% that didn't go to the major parties and were shared amongst the minor parties and Independents, some 730,000 of those votes were Informal. In other words they didn't see anybody worthy of their vote. I've said before, this coming election the Informal vote will top 1,000,000.

Gligg
10th May 2016, 07:22
Cheaper to get in early?

Just like it was best to be first in line for blu-ray.

rutan around
10th May 2016, 08:44
Cheaper to get in early?

Just like it was best to be first in line for the first GPSs