PDA

View Full Version : FAA to EASA ATP

jsfboat
1st May 2016, 18:14
I'm getting my German citezenship back, and I want to convert my FAA ATP to EASA. Any places that I can either do distance learning and testing, or do it in the US and an inexpensive place. What else do I need to do to get my conversion? I have some color vision issues (still have a FAA 1st Class with no waivers) so I'm not sure if I can still get an EASA medical. Do the types I have get converted automatically or what can I do to get them on the EASA ATP? Thanks for all the info. Interested in going back to Europe to work for Lufthansa or Cargolux type of places.

NEDude
16th May 2016, 18:11
Hello, dual US/Irish citizen here with an FAA and Canadian ATPL. I just completed the theory exams. I used the ATPL digital program through Bristol Ground School and supplemented it with the question database from AviationExam. I just used the iPad apps for both programs. It worked well for me. The UK has a testing center in Orlando if you do not wish to travel to Europe for the exams.

The way I understand it, although if you see my recent posting you will see I have been informed differently, is that you can do an EASA ATPL skills test in any airplane (simulator) that you have at least 500 hours in. That will be the initial type rating you get with your EASA ATPL. Your type ratings do not transfer automatically, you can only transfer the ones you have at least 500 hours in and you must do a skills test. If you do not have at least 500 hours then you must do a full type rating course.

PS - You just travel to Europe for the initial medical examination. It must be done at a national aviation medical center. The country in which you get the initial medical will be the country which issues your license.

zondaracer
25th May 2016, 14:54
I recommend doing Bristol Ground School as well. In the UK, all exams are multiple choice. In Germany, some questions are open answer.

Everything NE Dude said is correct.
You will have to go to Europe for the initial medical examination. The UK will allow you to transfer an initial medical from another country for a fee. The country which holds your medical is the one that will issue you your license.

There is also a radio license that you have to acquire by taking a test. The UK has a test that involves wearing a headset and doing radio communication with an examiner that plays the role of ATC. In Denmark, you actually have to memorize morse code. Seriously.

2close
25th May 2016, 18:45
You can transfer a Class 1 medical from one EASA member state to another for a fee but cannot simply convert another medical from outside EASA-land into a UK EASA Class 1 medical.

You will need to undergo an initial EASA Class 1 medical INCLUDING the colour vision test, which is far more stringent than the FAA colour vision test.

You are permitted to make up to 6 errors on the Ishihara test in the USA. You are not allowed any errors in EASA land.

Following errors on the Ishihara test, you will have to take the CAD test, a computer based colour vision test taken in two stages, a short test and an extended test. If you pass the short test, all well and good, you get your Class 1 medical but any errors and you have to take the extended CAD test. If you pass this you are classified as 'Colour Safe' and you get your Class 1 medical but if you fail you will receive a Class 1 medical restricted to Daytime Flying Only and No Commercial Air Transport - this is a deviation from the EASA regulations which applies only in the UK; other EASA member states will not issue you with any Class 1 medical.

As for the rest, you require a current, valid type rating on an EASA multi-pilot aircraft, 1500 hours total time, 500 hours of which must be multi-crew with other criteria for night flying, IFR, cross country, etc.

You will also need to do the Radio Telephony examination for a UK issued licence and an ICAO Aviation English language test for any EASA member state.

The good news is that, provided you meet all the above criteria you are exempt mandatory training for the exams and you can self-certify to sit them; however, the majority of convertees sign up with a training provider such as Bristol Groundschool ( other training providers are available;) ) and attend the classroom sessions.

Hope that helps.

dzografi
11th Nov 2016, 10:44
What is the case with any refractive error requirements when converting from FAA to EASA? Do the initial vision requirements apply strictly? Or having an FAA class 1 medical makes it easier to get an EASA class 1 medical?

Tinstaafl
12th Nov 2016, 06:12
It may be worthwhile contacting the UK CAA medical branch. When I converted to a UK ATPL in 1999, I was able to sidestep the whole Class 1 initial issue business. I had to have a recent chest xray, opthalmologist report, current Class 1 medical (from Australia, where I was coming from), audiometry/hearing report, and that was it (as best I remember). My GP was able to authorise all of those as a referral, so Medicare covered it.

Saved me a ton of money, time & aggravation. Maybe that's still possible?