PDA

View Full Version : New Jetstar flight planning office?

International Trader
29th Apr 2016, 23:16
Was sitting in departures the other day passing time with a drink in my hand when I looked up to a see a Jetstar crew doing their flight planning at the bar. A nice look it was. Don't at all think that they were drinking but, they sure looked pretty ordinary. At least they fitted in.

gtseraf
29th Apr 2016, 23:30
also seen something similar in japan, makes the operation look sooo professional.

Sorry guys, but this is not the way the industry should be going, heaven help us!

framer
30th Apr 2016, 00:03
That is what happens when you give 200 people no designated place to flight plan, 150 do it on the aircraft or before arriving, 50 do it in a bar or cafe or at the departure gate, it's just human nature that there will be variations on what is seen as 'a bad look'.
But, it is an accurate look. The tech crew do not have a flight planning area so they do what suits them, that is the way of modern Airlines.

bdcer
30th Apr 2016, 00:04
Which airport was this & was it an actual bar or a cafe/restaurant?

On a side note, I see many airline crews flight planning at cafes/restaurants in many terminals around the world.

Ted Nugent
30th Apr 2016, 00:13
Works well especially with coffee in hand.

Keg
30th Apr 2016, 00:31
Watermark or Toby's Estate coffee shops are the default Qantas briefing area in most Australian domestic ports.

OzSync
30th Apr 2016, 00:37
There was a wonderful photo of the ADL QF flight planning room a few years back, I think 6 pilots managed to fit inside and it was literally the size of a small walk in wardrobe.

Most flight planning rooms are also put in inconvenient, cheap, out of the way places. QF PER being an exception I can think of.

gtseraf
30th Apr 2016, 01:40
would love to see how the management types would like to conduct their meetings in the coffee shop at the airport. It just looks unprofessional and, in my opinion, is a tool used to undermine our profession, standing and terms.

gtseraf
30th Apr 2016, 01:45
I work for a Japanese mob and most of our briefings are at offices or in the aircraft, the odd freighter flight briefing out of HKG is conducted at the local coffee shop in the terminal, cringeworthy! The looks from passengers as we conduct our business are priceless.

fender
30th Apr 2016, 02:48
Oh, is aviation still a profession?

gtseraf
30th Apr 2016, 03:45
I'd like to believe so, though some seem quite happy to accept otherwise.

Capn Bloggs
30th Apr 2016, 07:19
Watermark ... coffee shops
Campos coffee... THE best.

HOOROO
30th Apr 2016, 08:21
a little bit of context as to where and what type of crew this was might be nice.... every port in Australia and New Zealand that i have worked out of for jq has an adequate crew room for flight planning... which makes me think this must be off shore?

Ollie Onion
30th Apr 2016, 08:42
And you don't know the circumstances, I flight planned in a coffee shop recently as the wifi and internet access in the crew room was totally down but available for free in the coffee shop next door.

ACMS
30th Apr 2016, 09:13
Outside home base of HK we either do it in the coffee shop or the flight deck. I'll bet they weren't in a Bar, it was a coffee shop.

outside limits
30th Apr 2016, 13:11
Jetstar is GA with jets. Nothing should be a surprise.

Seriously
30th Apr 2016, 17:09
Who cares? What people pilots can't get a coffee before a flight now?

mince
30th Apr 2016, 21:51
I reckon you'll probably find there are crew briefing rooms available, but people prefer to do it at the coffee shop instead. Better views, and enjoy a cuppa at the same time. Technology makes it possible, why not!

The Green Goblin
30th Apr 2016, 23:34
Crew rooms are obsolete these days. In the coming months there will be no need for paper flight plan backups. It will all be done electronically. So no need for a printer. Many outports this is already the case.

I'd prefer to be in a quiet coffee shop than the noisy crew room with all the squealing flight attendants.

International Trader
5th May 2016, 04:14
It was the Pulpo Bar at Melbourne airport departures.

oicur12.again
5th May 2016, 04:44
" The tech crew do not have a flight planning area"

Its 2016, do we really need designated flight planning areas. If we can do it in the cockpit down route why can't we do it in the cockpit everywhere?

And its not really flight planning, no plotting is involved or calculating fuel burns based on winds aloft.