PDA

View Full Version : Cessna Citation 500 series

chiplight2005
29th Apr 2016, 08:20
Hello,

Can someone tell me which Cessna's are included in the 500 series? Are all the 500's included in that? For example are the CJ's included in that as they are Model 525. Is the Citation Excel Model 560XL included it is in the 500 range but guessing it may not be. I'm thinking that Citation I, II and V are included. And of course the Mustang is a 510. Sorry to ask possibly a dim question.

Above The Clouds
29th Apr 2016, 08:30
Cessna Citation 500 series C500/550/560 = I, II and V, others 525 series 560XL etc. are separate type ratings, or they used to be.

chiplight2005
29th Apr 2016, 08:49
Thank you @Above The Clouds. And do most have the analogue cockpit or are there some with a glass cockpit?

Above The Clouds
29th Apr 2016, 08:54
I would say the majority have glass cockpits these days, only the older C500 and C550's would be analog.

Pace
29th Apr 2016, 10:30
Depends when they were built I fly a late model 1992 built example which is part analogue and part glass a 1980 /82 is all analogue
As stated its the 500 550 560 and I have flown all of those including the Bravo and S2
The 500 and 550 Citation 2 are really low 30s aircraft struggling with weight to get higher and slow. The Five S2 and Bravo were all quicker and higher
All the 500 series are getting long in the tooth more scarce and expensive too maintain and unless you have specific work your better off going the CJ way

Pace

chiplight2005
29th Apr 2016, 19:56
@ Pace So would you say the Bravo or Mustang are better than the older 500 series aircraft?

galaxy flyer
29th Apr 2016, 23:34
pace,

How come, in 2,500 hours of Citation II time, I have spent a lot time at/above F350? Admittedly, TAS was about 350-360 and F430 was a step climb.

GF

Pace
30th Apr 2016, 07:00
Galaxy

Yes they do go up there but past 30 K its painful and as you said often step climbs. I used to fly a 1980 model without reversers and she was very light at just over 8000 ibs with the Branson Gross weight mod (a must)
That one would go to FL390 but after a lot of fuel was burnt off
the one I fly now is a 1992 and is loaded and is 1000 ibs heavier that one really struggles.
it too will go to FL360 but not heavy and the best I made was FL370. The older ones are better performers
The S2 is a great machine with the five wing and extra hour range but they are all getting long in the tooth now

ChipLight

Never flown a Mustang and personally hate them but the Bravo is great. You will find better opportunities with the CJ series ratings which are more modern, fuel efficient and with cheaper maintenance and far more numerous

Albus_Dumbledore
4th May 2016, 19:37
Never flown a Mustang and personally hate them

Not a great line to use if you haven't flown it. :ugh: Thought i'd hate it and actually loved it. Great little plane. :ok:

However, I do agree with pace the 525 rating will be much more use. No-one makes any 500 series rated machine now; at least you can still buy a new CJ series machine.

As for my 2000 hrs on the II, I'd agree with GF. The ones I flew we early machines though with the Branson mod. Rather made me concentrate on a hot day at a heavy weight, as if you lost a donkey on T/O, the climb gradient was -0.1%!!!!:mad: God only knows how that thing was allowed to operate CAT ;-)

Pace
6th May 2016, 20:29
Albus

No never flown one but heard they were poor on range and payload and a slightly older CJ1 was a better package
But they are so ugly on the ramp

Albus_Dumbledore
9th May 2016, 15:28
Pace, I know what you mean about it sitting on the ramp. :D

I collected one from Wichita about 18 months ago, and passed by the Cessna Experimental hangar during my visit, and there was a SET which was a Mustang without doubt. It all kind of made sense then. :ooh: Market timing and all that.

The CJ1/+ are great machines too, but the Mustang has a lot of benefits to it with it being a more modern machine. Cessna put some thought in to it :E:ok:

However, I really enjoy flying the Mustang. Yes its slow, but it performs well overall, and is a great "starter" jet. Basically it was built to suit the US owner/operator principle and KISS. It fits that nicely.

Albus

Lucky8888
10th May 2016, 02:43
Pace, I know what you mean about it sitting on the ramp. :D

The CJ1/+ are great machines too, but the Mustang has a lot of benefits to it with it being a more modern machine. Cessna put some thought in to it :E:ok:

Albus

Yea, especially the trash bag toilet. I flew the 510 for awhile and thought it left a lot to be desired. To each their own. :O