PDA

View Full Version : New Qantas Uniform

allthecoolnamesarego
29th Apr 2016, 01:35
You have to be shi$&ing me

chockchucker
29th Apr 2016, 01:37
Anybody else think it eerily ironic that these new uniforms look awfully alike to those worn by the crew of the Titanic?....

In the Soup
29th Apr 2016, 01:43
I was expecting a uniform in line with the J* design...

Going Nowhere
29th Apr 2016, 01:46
Those white hats won't last long...

Where's the white shoes to match?

Di_Vosh
29th Apr 2016, 01:51
Apart from the hat (which makes me look like a milkman) I can't see too much of a problem.

I don't think the hat has been well thought out, as I can't imagine many will stay that white for very long. I like the overcoat, as long as I can get it in extra-long, get kind of a "matrix" thing happening (spoilt once again, by the hat). New wings are okay, reminds me of the old Qlink wings. At the end of the day, I'm not paying for it, my ego isn't driven by wearing "really cool stuff", so my care factor is pretty low.

In any case, I've never been a fan of the old-style uniforms and consider them a relic of a bygone era; totally out-dated. I really liked the old Virgin uniforms and was sorry to see them go when Borghetti took over.

DIVOSH!

travelator
29th Apr 2016, 01:59
At the end of the day, I'm not paying for it,
except for the RMs.

Ollie Onion
29th Apr 2016, 02:00
I like it, very retro. Makes a nice change from the boring straight black.

Captain Pig
29th Apr 2016, 02:07
What a disaster! Martin Grant clearly didn't get the brief on designing a MODERN uniform! The hats are an utter disgrace!

caneworm
29th Apr 2016, 02:13
If ever I get cast for a part in The Love Boat or Pirates of Penzance I'll already have the costume

IsDon
29th Apr 2016, 02:17
It's absolutely appalling.

I can't see a single redeeming feature.

White hats? Fabric wings on the shirt?

WTF were they thinking?

It is cringeworthy!

wdew
29th Apr 2016, 02:18
With their Middle Eastern shareholding I expect them to have the female staff also moving closer to a version of the penguin style suits to cover them up.

eshlon
29th Apr 2016, 02:26
Was there ever a canvassing of all crew on their thoughts as to the new uniform they'd all be expected to wear?

mrdeux
29th Apr 2016, 02:29
Was there ever a canvassing of all crew on their thoughts as to the new uniform they'd all be expected to wear?

Of course there was. They just didn't listen to any of it.

Appalling.

Troo believer
29th Apr 2016, 02:37
It looks gay and that's from my daughter. The Kangaroo symbol reminds me of the Lufthansa Crane. Wings are an insult, like something someone would design that never had to earn. I will look like a porter from the thirties on the orient express. White gloves will make it complete.

Jeps
29th Apr 2016, 02:44

Good ol' days

ruprecht
29th Apr 2016, 02:52
I just want you all to know that when you ridicule my uniform as I walk through the terminal, I will have no comeback...

Ugh...:sad:

eshlon
29th Apr 2016, 03:00
Of course there was. They just didn't listen to any of it.

Appalling.
Thanks mate. At least I now know you guys didn't vote it up, cause it looks absolutely atrocious. Kinda mocks the profession a little.

donpizmeov
29th Apr 2016, 03:01
Come on ruprecht, I won't say a thing. But you better say hello when next you are in town.

mrdeux
29th Apr 2016, 03:09
I understand that hats, wings, slides, jacket and socks are all optional.

Ngineer
29th Apr 2016, 03:29
The white hat looks great, matches your hair.

Frank_The_Tank
29th Apr 2016, 03:33
I would feel like a turd if I was the only one who had to wear it, but I'm not. My shoes are in need of replacing, I was just hoping for a free pair of RMs :(

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2016, 03:41
At the end of the day, I'm not paying for it, my ego isn't driven by wearing "really cool stuff", so my care factor is pretty low.

In any case, I've never been a fan of the old-style uniforms and consider them a relic of a bygone era; totally out-dated. I really liked the old Virgin uniforms and was sorry to see them go when Borghetti took over.

A few oxymorons in there, Divosh! :D

Di_Vosh
29th Apr 2016, 03:47
ROFL!

Probably not the most consistent post I've ever written :}

Made sense in my head as I wrote it...

DIVOSH!

PPRuNeUser0161
29th Apr 2016, 03:50
White Hat? It will look crap in no time. No way I'm wearing a Jacket in the heat. As for the skinny fit pants, there ok if your under thirty and at the low end of your BMI, but QF hasn't many like that. I hope the RM's are not a requirement??? Wings are cheap rubbish and they even scraped on the shirt pockets, no buttons. Current uniform isn't bad enough to call this an improvement.

SN

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2016, 03:59
Don't torture us! Where are the pictures?

RENURPP
29th Apr 2016, 04:01
Baaaahhhaaaaahhhaaaa. I am going to have to bring a change of clothes, as I'm not wearing that circus outfit to and from work, I won't even be able to pull in for petrol without being laughed at. ������������. Joyce's revenge on the pilots I thinks. Bloody dreadful!!

Di_Vosh
29th Apr 2016, 04:09
Don't torture us! Where are the pictures?

Oh!

You should have received something via your internal email. Cobham guys will wear this as well as Link, Mainline, Freight, Jetconnect and Network.

Youtube here

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5-qcGXBIHhs

DIVOSH!

Going Nowhere
29th Apr 2016, 04:14
You forgot the staff at Qantas Cruises DiVosh!

Capn Bloggs
29th Apr 2016, 04:17
Found one on the QF website...

http://s26.postimg.org/qtbofnkcp/QFuniforms.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Doesn't look so bad... No dayglo though! :}

Approximately 4 kilograms of gold bullion thread will be used on the hat and wing badge
What about my poor neck? A regular few shavings will pay for the chiro though, I suppose...

Nice big pockets. Now I can upgrade my phone! :D

motley flight crue
29th Apr 2016, 04:18
Actually I think the white hat looks pretty cool. Better than my EK hat. Didn't TAA have white hats in the 70's.

sled
29th Apr 2016, 04:35
Absolutely hate it and will be embarrassed to wear it.

CaptainInsaneO
29th Apr 2016, 04:40
Paying for the RMs?

So RMs must be worn with the uniform, making it the uniform? (by definition)

So shouldn't the RMs be provided by the company as per applicable EBA - if it is the uniform?

PPRuNeUser0161
29th Apr 2016, 04:46
It appears they actually expect us to pay for the RM's, you have to be kidding??? Sorry QF but if you require it you pay for it!

SN

Blitzkrieger
29th Apr 2016, 04:47
Retro paint jobs, now retro uniforms. It begs the question, when are we getting retro qantas management? You know, the type that actually value the things that made the airline great in the first place. Nostalgia is just dandy, but it really is just a facade isn't it.

Not a bad uniform, just don't like the intent of it.

OzSync
29th Apr 2016, 04:48
If it's compulsory at least it's tax deductible.

piston broke again
29th Apr 2016, 04:50
What no red ties??

dragon man
29th Apr 2016, 05:00
It is cringe worthy. They can stick the RMs, the jacket in fact the whole thing. Should have taken the VR. What an embarrassment . Waste money on this crap while the punters can't get a choice of meals. The lunatics are running the asylum fair dinkum.

haughtney1
29th Apr 2016, 05:10
Oh dear, it looks like a cross between the sort of suit one of those "city wank3rs" would wear, and something you'd find in the same shop Borat got his nice shiny suit. The hat? All I see is the fat conductor.......

RodH
29th Apr 2016, 05:21
I joined Ansett in 1964 and I had to wear those horrible white hats from 1964 until 1974 ( ? ) but luckily Ansett got rid of them. I think ANA had the white hats for many years before my join date of 1964
They were terribly hard to keep clean and faded badly in the sunlight .
The ones we had were made of some type of plastic top and were very hot in the sun in spite of being white.
Would be better suited on a pastry cook IMHOP.
The rest of the uniform looks quite OK.
The hat - RS

DirectAnywhere
29th Apr 2016, 05:26
The fact that anyone actually cares what they wear indicates that engagement is far too high. Turn up, wear it, go home, get paid. Pretty simple.

There's been no pride in the uniform for years - ever since the company decided it was cheaper to outsource the flying to everyone else rather than keep a QANTAS pilot on a QANTAS aeroplane to do the job.

If they pay me to wear a monkey suit, that's what I'll do. The rest of the angst is a waste of time and effort.

ratpoison
29th Apr 2016, 05:41
Should have taken the VR. What an embarrassment . Waste money on this crap while the punters can't get a choice of meals. The lunatics are running the asylum fair dinkum.
Oh, will somebody buy the dragon a well deserved drink. Classic....:D:D

Fris B. Fairing
29th Apr 2016, 06:05
I was trying to recall what it reminds me of.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/panam-crew.jpg

and we all know how that ended.

Going Nowhere
29th Apr 2016, 06:27
Good luck getting your staff to purchase RM's when most EBA's have a clause stating that the company will provide uniforms as required.

Even with the discount, it's still over $300 a pair.

ACMS
29th Apr 2016, 06:47
Jesus H........

What are they trying to do to you Qantas people?????

Does the hat come with a Pony Tail attached too?

Snakecharma
29th Apr 2016, 06:58
Oh dear.

As a fellow professional aviator, please accept my apologies, because that uniform is just awful.

What can you expect from a designer that doesn't wear socks with shoes.

The thing that I probably object to the most (apart from the fact that unless you are a 22 year old gym junkie the uniform will not be flattering) is the discarding of years of tradition in both the wings and the uniform cap badge.

Mr.Buzzy
29th Apr 2016, 06:59
This is only when crewing the "retro-roo" machines right?...... You know, when it's time to play "Sullivan's"

Bbzbzbzbzzbzbzbzbzbzbzbz

ACMS
29th Apr 2016, 07:13
To quote Higgins on Magnum PI...

"Oh my God........what have you done?"

B772
29th Apr 2016, 07:24
John Travolta wore a white cap in his earlier days masquerading as a QF Captain.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/05/11/article-2143169-0055978100000258-790_308x510.jpg

framer
29th Apr 2016, 07:26
Good news is that you'l all get free access to the Woolamaloo Officers bar while in uniform, I hear the beer is $1 a schooner.

ACMS
29th Apr 2016, 07:27
Maybe this will be their new safety video intro..

http://youtu.be/hByob-5pPEs

itsnotthatbloodyhard
29th Apr 2016, 07:36
You really piss off your gay CEO by indulging in a spot of mild industrial action, and five years later this is what happens. Well, you can hardly say he hasn't got a sense of humour.

He who laughs last, etc.

OneDotLow
29th Apr 2016, 09:27
Turn up, wear it, go home, get paid. Pretty simple.

...ever since the company decided it was cheaper to outsource the flying to everyone else...

If they pay me to wear a monkey suit, that's what I'll do. The rest of the angst is a waste of time and effort.

What he said.

moa999
29th Apr 2016, 09:29
As per the PR - RMs were only 'showcased' for the reveal.
QANTAS TEAMS UP WITH ICONIC AUSTRALIAN BRAND R.M.WILLIAMS - Qantas News Room (http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media-releases/qantas-teams-up-with-iconic-australian-brand-r-m-williams/)

As for the hat - I think it was said that Qantas pilot wore a white hat from the 30s so it harks back to that.

It reminds me of this however...
https://hirenj.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/catch-me1.jpg

Baxter Dewall
29th Apr 2016, 09:52
Who really cares.............

Change is a given in this industry.

Get over it and move on.

Qantas 787
29th Apr 2016, 10:19
I feel sorry that you have to wear it

You should have seen the 'launch'....and how much money was wasted. On the party, the designer, the uniforms..... transformatio costs have been forgotten

propaganda
29th Apr 2016, 10:20
Great hat for those wishing to sell ice creams... Reminds me of the Luton Squadron.

27/09
29th Apr 2016, 11:09
I thought sailors wore white hats

Jeps
29th Apr 2016, 11:39
Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Shot Nancy
29th Apr 2016, 11:54
"2 soft serves and a choc top please."
"Oh you are not an ice cream salesperson!"
"My mistake, make it a burger with fries."

Bug Smasher Smasher
29th Apr 2016, 11:57
For the actual Qantas guys and girls having a whinge, suck it up and dry your tears with your last paycheck.

For all the affiliates, bask in the glow of now being perceived as a Sky-God. And go buy a razor.

For everyone else, it's a uniform. Get over it.

ACMS
29th Apr 2016, 12:36
For your information Qlink ( Sunnies etc ) have had the same uniform for a long time. ( Hat Jacket Wings etc )

So you get over it. :D

fender
29th Apr 2016, 12:51
I'll try my best not to snigger every time you walk past sailor.

bendover26
29th Apr 2016, 13:52
So far, I've had all manner of comments from family, friends and neighbours. NONE are positive. All begin with the obvious question (and variants thereof): How could they spend all this money when the airline is barely surviving? Other comments include references to Capt Stubing, The Love Boat, milkmen, postmen, not retro - just old fashioned, etc. I can't agree more with all of them. Some here ask why we should care what we wear. I say it's because we should take pride in our airline and our traditions, and much of that comes from our appearance. The current executive has trashed so much of what was the traditional brand, and this is possibly the last bit to go. The hats are absolutely the most disgraceful and most highly visible element, but the axing of the traditional wings and hat badge - so much a part of Qantas for so long, is beyond reproach. This is what happens when management and some designer they found under a (f)rock are so detached from their workforce. Can't wait til they all bugger off and let someone with an ounce of sense and a GENUINE view to improving workforce relations to pick up the pieces. If there are any pieces left. And if there's anyone out there who has the smarts to do it.

Keg
29th Apr 2016, 14:10
The suit I reckon is OK. Not thrilled with half sleeve gold bars and half width but I'll get over it. I have to admit it still looks pretty good.

The 'centered' rank slides look very corporate. I'm not a fan but they pay me a lot of money and I'll get over it.

The wings I'm disappointed in. I like my wings to look traditional. Wings of a swift I think is how the traditional ones are described? (IsDon? ). Not a fan of these at all. I reckon the bullion ones on the shirts will get very dirty very quickly under harnesses and may even be uncomfortable if there is any bulk to them. Reckon they'll change back to metal in a couple of years time- particularly if we are going through a fair few pair of them as they start to look worn. Again though, they pay me a lot of money......

The hat though? If we are going for the heritage look I wish they would have applied that to the wings, gold bars, etc.

So all in all I'm disappointed but I'll get over it. I'm hoping at least that the shirt, pants and jacket are more comfortable than what we've got at the moment. I'm reliably informed they are.

itsnotthatbloodyhard
29th Apr 2016, 14:10
For all the affiliates, bask in the glow of now being perceived as a Sky-God. And go buy a razor.

There's actually a rule which states that, 'As any online discussion about Qantas grows longer, the probability that someone will use the term "skygod" approaches 1'.

This is known as Skygodwin's Law.

griffin one
29th Apr 2016, 15:52
Mchales Navy

Eastwest Loco
29th Apr 2016, 15:53
The caps do remind one of a 1950's American Good Humor icecream vendor and there is another style of that same cap I can't attach a profession to but it is also 50's.

It only will really work if they also get female flight attendants back in short dresses and stockings and have them stow everything for passengers in the overhead holds. That might be 60's but the flashbacks work nicely for me!!:}

Super Connie on gate 1 would also work.

Best all

EWL - awaits incoming flak:E

Pakehaboy
29th Apr 2016, 17:12
Keg,
I believe you will look very dashing,suave and debonair,just like the PanAm pilots of past.Money ,in this buisness,always gets me over it.Post a photo so we can rave review if possible?

Versace
29th Apr 2016, 20:37
Try hard US Navy Aviators... Is what it looks like...

caneworm
29th Apr 2016, 21:25
Whilst disappointing nobody should be surprised by this. The demo job continues.
Despite seeking input from operational crew members, the executive briefing would have been absolute and if the focus team made any suggestions (outside the scope of the exec. briefing) they would have been graciously received then summarily dismissed. They will of course be expected to wear the criticism/recriminations.
It's no accident that we've become a parody of ourselves; far from it in fact.
The rollout yesterday was up there with Carston's (Utopia, ABC TV) best efforts.

ANCDU
29th Apr 2016, 21:54
I agree with Keg on this one, bar the hat it's not too bad, but I do cringe at the whole fashion show launch. I rarely wear the hat anyway, and it will get filthy rolling around the back of the car, it was one thing I wished they would have got rid of, I believe in modern times it's not relevant unless you are in one of the armed forces.
As for the jacket, I think there would be lucky to be 20% of pilots that ever wear it, although with the cheap look of the shirts that might climb.
I just get the feeling that any input from the pilot group was not taken into account, but hey, that is the norm for Qantas.

SandyPalms
29th Apr 2016, 23:13
Well, I like it. I'm looking forward to getting one.

And why does this one look any more like a costume, than the current one?

looks like the QF blokes who wanted beards will be disappointed. I'd suspect there will be some Qlink blokes with beards who will be to.

International Trader
29th Apr 2016, 23:25
Don't pick on his fashion sense too much, he may shut the airline down again to 'straighten' you out. Must say that the Cpt posing in the middle of the picture on page 2 looks very mmmm, comfortable in his uniform.

tail wheel
29th Apr 2016, 23:31
The cap is reminiscent of street ice cream vendors at Disneyland. :(

OzSync
30th Apr 2016, 00:45
Given the clothing one normally sees worn on slips, I'm amazed at the vanity being displayed by my peers about this uniform...Then again, it's *different* and involves *change* and we all know what that means to the average Qantas pilot...

sagan
30th Apr 2016, 00:50
I note the photo in post #30 shows a 50% ratio....

Jimothy
30th Apr 2016, 02:14
Woke up this morning hoping it was all a bad dream. Nope that ghastly hat and brevet are still there. What a joke! Couldn't get any closer to a pilots dress up costume if they'd tried.

Capt disillusioned
30th Apr 2016, 03:11
Tailwheel, any chance of a poll with some well thought out questions that would give a true indication as to the acceptance of the new outfit?
1. are you a Qantas employee or an interested observe.
2 If you will have to wear this uniform, do you find it an improvement on the current uniform?
3. Which part/s of the uniform do you object to the most? Hat, shirt, wings, etc. number in order of dislike. etc etc

Personally I don't like it at all. It looks like an outfit for a child picked up at a cheap costume shop.

Led Zep
30th Apr 2016, 04:39
GA meets ferry Skipper. :}

Troo believer
30th Apr 2016, 05:41
The new uniform is becoming very devisive on other forums. All the pilots ever wanted was some shirts and trousers made out of a better material. The rest is an insult.

moa999
30th Apr 2016, 06:16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0gW4ITi7Y

allthecoolnamesarego
30th Apr 2016, 06:55
Check the video, not one of the old white hats had the stupid round circle and kangaroo! They all had a coat of arms.

The designer is a joke, as is the uniform.

4Greens
30th Apr 2016, 08:03
I would miss my 'Scrambled egg' the most.

Aeolus2000BC
30th Apr 2016, 08:28
Given my recent experience on the Flying Rat ah la kangaroo, QF mgt should spend more time,effort and money on inflight service than a poofs set of drawers !

BKK-SYD QF24 1825-0745
On boarding -- no CCM in cabin to assit little old ladies put their cabin bags in o/head bins
Pre-flight safety demo - a BLOODY JOKE !!!!!!! (I have seen better in third world airlines banned from Europe)
SEAT - BLOODY uncomfortable. Have sat in more comfortable steel pan seats on vintage tractors !!!!!!!!!
Inflight meal -- (in rear section of A330) 2:30hr into flight before evening meal served
-- meal nothing more than a snack (I have seen bigger meals in refugee
camps) LCC in Europe offer better.
-- no meal tray - just a plastic 'meal dish' everything handed out individually
ie. utensils/ bread (had to ask) just plonked on the table (yes- the one that folds down and is known to be the 2nd most unhygenic place on the acft)
desert - a cake like item no bigger than a 50c coin!!!!!!!
- I questioned the poor meal - only to be told -- WE DO NOT HAVE SPACE TO HOLD EXTRA CATERING !
- Funny -- how does every other airline operating A330s Long Haul do ??:rolleyes:
In-Flight movies -- The best collection of WORST movies ever produced.
Not ONE was worthy of watching !!!!!!!!!
B/fast -- All I will say -- THANK GOD I HAD A QUICK CONNECTION ONTO AN EK FLT - where a proper/professional service of quality was offered at NO extra expense in a very pleasant manner.

Let it be known -- THAT I WILL NEVER FLY ON A QF SERVICE EVER AGAIN:*

Blitzkrieger
30th Apr 2016, 09:27
Aoelus2000BC, what a shocker! :uhoh:

Have you by any chance made that complaint to Qantas themselves? No point venting here if you haven't given the airline a spray too.

No doubt that QF is just stumbling through the motions these days. The new uniform is no more than a distraction from everything they are failing to do properly.

maverick22
30th Apr 2016, 09:31
Good riddance aeolus2000bc,

You sound like a right pain in the a$$ 👍

RENURPP
30th Apr 2016, 09:37
aeolus2000bc, it sounds like a realistic appraisal to me. I personally fly Singapore or Emirrates instead of QF staff travel.
You were lucky the entertainment system worked at all, anyway we will have lovely new uniforms soon so all is good ��

B772
30th Apr 2016, 11:00
Martin Grant was asked a question re uniforms in general and he replied "I've always loved flight crew uniforms" Buyer beware !

standard unit
30th Apr 2016, 12:18
Aeolus2000BC,

your post indicates I assume that Qantas did not meet your expectation. Yes ?

It also indicates that you are one hell of a self absorbed individual who struggles with, "perspective".

Perhaps help of some sort might be in order?

propsmear
30th Apr 2016, 13:17
Don't know what all the fuss is about...
We are lucky if the navy in our suit jacket matches our pants.

Basil
30th Apr 2016, 14:11
Jeps, that pic is cringeworthy :yuk:

Not QANTAS but, I'd agree white caps difficult to keep smart and I'd prefer much longer coat for heavy downpours.

206greaser
30th Apr 2016, 15:21
Just as PPRUNE had turned on Virgin and the QF bashing had subsided, in swings Joyce with this absolute pearler! That uniform correspondes perfectly with the abortion that is their current CC uniform. Virgin's uniforms look professional and their cabin crew classy. Oh and free RM's at Virgin.

Cheers,
Greaser.

Basil
30th Apr 2016, 15:50
Virgin's uniforms look professional and their cabin crew classy.
That big blue/grey Teddy Bear coat they used to wear looked good.
I have heard of pilots fantasizing that they weren't wearing anything else - not me, you understand, some other guys.

Seriously
30th Apr 2016, 17:08
Seriously those white hats are terrible...

caneworm
30th Apr 2016, 23:01
Leave AJ alone, this is my fault.
In the initial survey I was quite forthright in saying we did not want to look like J* pilots.
Didn't think for one moment they'd take me seriously.
Meá Culpá:{:{

dr dre
30th Apr 2016, 23:09
Oh and free RM's at Virgin.
No wonder about their financial situation then....

Buckshot
30th Apr 2016, 23:35
RMs are standard issue in Army Reserve too

itsnotthatbloodyhard
1st May 2016, 00:07
Then again, it's *different* and involves *change* and we all know what that means to the average Qantas pilot...

There's *change* and there's *improvement*, and they're two very different things.

I don't see anyone much complaining about the things that seem like they're actually better.

dr dre
1st May 2016, 00:37
RMs are standard issue in Army Reserve too

Great for them, in a company that needs to turn a profit however?

I don't actually mind the new uniform.
I think a lot of people aren't realising that side by side with the previous one, the old one doesn't stack up well. Flared pants, jacket made out of the horrible material, wings cluttered, southern cross sideways? It wasn't that good to begin with.
White hats? Well I'd prefer black but I like the nod to history and the uniqueness. It doesn't look that terrible. The wings should be metal but I'll live with it. It's good to see something a little different to the same look repeated everywhere.

As far as being "laughed at" or having this uniform seen as a joke? Fine, let them joke. I'll take pride in wearing it. I reckon 99% of people teasing the new look would gladly wear it if they were offered a position. I don't think any of the very many people who will be applying for the next round of recruitment are going to withdraw their applications on seeing what they will be wearing.

mrdeux
1st May 2016, 00:41
Excellent. I've found some wings, cap and epaulets from a uniform two iterations ago. They'll do just fine.

Sea Eggs
1st May 2016, 01:48
Nice uniform!

Ida down
1st May 2016, 03:09
You have to be shi$&ing meSorry Guys, but the JQ guys are %#@@ing themselves laughing. AND now glad they never got a hat!

dr dre
1st May 2016, 03:29
but the JQ guys are %#@@ing themselves laughing

I know what uniform represents a real airline uniform history, plus like I said before if you offered them mainline terms and conditions on the proviso they had to wear the new uniform, would they still be p$&@ing themselves laughing or would 99.99% of them be doing it in a heartbeat? My money's on the latter

Ida down
1st May 2016, 05:04
I know what uniform represents a real airline uniform history, plus like I said before if you offered them mainline terms and conditions on the proviso they had to wear the new uniform, would they still be p$&@ing themselves laughing or would 99.99% of them be doing it in a heartbeat? My money's on the latter Go to QF? Nah. I Have one in JQ, two in QF, and the jQ one is the happiest.JQ is far more stable, money ain't everything. And is he not giving his siblings heaps, on their new uniforms! Mind you I wore a white topped hat in TAA, and because you normally turn the thing unside down and store everything in it, up the track, it didn't take long before it looked like the dog got it. Hope yours is washable plastic. Otherwise........

maggot
1st May 2016, 05:12
Sorry Guys, but the JQ guys are %#@@ing themselves laughing. AND now glad they never got a hat!

Strangely this doesnt bother me

Sleeper88
1st May 2016, 05:54
Wow,

I am amazed how a topic as trivial as new uniforms can generate as many comments as it has in a few days. Seems like a non issue...

dr dre
1st May 2016, 06:04
amazed how a topic as trivial as new uniforms can generate as many comments as it has in a few days. Seems like a non issue...

It should be, unfortunately a lot of people feel the need to be outraged solely for the purpose of being outraged. Quick discussion with most of my peers in my part of the company indicates they either like the new look, couldn't care less about it, or they prefer the former but will still wear the new uniform without pretending it's the end of the world.

Ollie Onion
1st May 2016, 07:11
I am sure many people would wear a clowns outfit to work for $200k plus per year.

RFN
1st May 2016, 08:50
"All Aboard"....

Cessna Jockey
1st May 2016, 10:17
Very retro gents! Can't wait to see Martin Grant's next throw back to the origins of Qantas:

http://www.dance2party.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/800x600/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/3/2384-300m.jpg

Keg
1st May 2016, 12:41
unfortunately a lot of people feel the need to be outraged solely for the purpose of being outrage

Just because you're not outraged it doesn't give you the knowledge, understanding or right to state why someone else may be. Maybe they have legitimate reasons, maybe some people put more value in certain things than you do. Either way to suggest it's simply because they feel the need to be outraged is just wrong.

dr dre
1st May 2016, 15:11
Maybe it's just the level of outrage. Some complainants are carrying on as if this is the greatest slight against pilots ever undertaken, that their history is being destroyed. Most of the colleagues I've spoken to acknowledge and understand the history behind the uniform elements, and realise that the uniform has changed multiple times over the years without any suggestion that history was being ignored. Or maybe there was, and each generation of pilots forgot over time? Anyways, I reckon in 6 months everyone will be wearing the new uniform and probably be complaining about something else.

caneworm
1st May 2016, 17:06
I'm tipping a few changes in the near future under the guise of "modifications we had anticipated"

Capt disillusioned
1st May 2016, 21:39
People are expressing opinions and believe it or not in 2016 we are still entitled to our individual opnions, although that is changing far to quickly.

ad-astra
1st May 2016, 21:47
A little perspective.

As a survivor of the 'tan years' in Virgin Blue the latest offering for us is a huge improvement yet it was canned and howled down by all and sundry.
PPRuNe was ablaze with the experts.

Some even wanted to return to the Australian Quarantine ranks.
It blew over and we are still being paid....this week.

The Qantas uniform WILL hopefully be modified and with a new (old) set of wings and a hat badge that reflects its rich history (which is what the white hat is all about) then it will be quite a smart uniform.

Stanwell
1st May 2016, 22:33
I do agree with ad-astra.
In my years in marketing and advertising, I tended to specialise in 'Corporate Image'.
Now, I'm not privy to Qantas' current marketing strategy in terms of image and what they feel is 'trending' in the field of uniform appearance, but...
They've badly missed the mark with the two most important elements - the hat/cap badge and the brevet.

As with the previous two posts, hopefully they'll see the need for the 'anticipated modifications' before they outlay big bucks on a package that has not been properly thought through.
The gold 'bullion'?
Well, I'm sure Joycie and his mates will find a use for that when people have forgotten about it.

griffin one
1st May 2016, 22:53
No Coat of Arms
Kangaroo facing backwards
White lollipop hat
What is the message here

Stanwell
1st May 2016, 23:23
griffin one,
The message?
Aside from the implications the 'sinister' facing kangaroo...
They gave the account to someone's favourite niece.

dr dre
2nd May 2016, 00:50
No Coat of Arms
Kangaroo facing backwards

Well according to the government the coat of arms is a symbol of Commonwealth government "ownership and authority". Given that Qantas has been a private company since the 90's maybe it makes a bit of sense to remove the coat of arms? (even though they will remain on the tie pin apparently)

https://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/coat-arms/index.cfm

Also anyone notice how currently the emu and the kangaroo face the wrong way around compared to the official version? And anyone else have an issue with a flightless bird on pilot wings?

As for the kangaroo, it's facing in the same direction in the new uniform as the company logo (tail to the left, head to the right) as the official logo has it facing since at least 1968. And in the same direction as it was displayed on the 70's era uniform when it was in the centre of the wings:

The Kangaroo Symbol | Qantas (http://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/history-kangaroo-symbol/global/en)

As for the southern cross? The only symbol I could see where it was aligned horizontally was the Eureka flag, otherwise all other displays of it on national flags (not uniquely Australian as it's displayed on the NZ, PNG, Samoan and Brazilian national flags as well) has it displayed aligned vertically. Although to be honest it's hard to picture a southern cross from the way the five stars are aligned on the current badge.

Qanchor
2nd May 2016, 01:12
All good points dr dre, no doubt Marty was thinking exactly the same thing!?
If only he'd googled, "QANTAS pilot uniform history" instead of, "Catch me if you can", for inspiration.
In any case we shouldn't be too hard on the poor guy, he was probably only following (very strict) instructions.

dr dre
2nd May 2016, 01:37
If only he'd googled, QANTAS pilot uniform history.

http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/FACT-SHEET-Pilot-uniform-history.pdf

It looks like the original wings had a LION on them, maybe to signify the link up between Qantas and Imperial airways in 1935? Hence why they were known as Qantas Empire Airways?
And I can't see the current coat of arms replicated on any cap badge until after nationalisation post WW2. In fact after trying to google a few pictures of the 30's and 40's era uniforms reveals few clear results, but from what I can ascertain in that era either it was the cap badge with the kangaroo and the lion or a badge with neither during the war years. Happy to be corrected if anyone has any more accurate info?

But if that's the case, I don't think the pilots of the 50's to 90's thought their insignia disrespected the insignia of the 30's-40's?

BuzzBox
2nd May 2016, 04:56
Here's another one that was knocked back:

https://crikey-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs.dir/10/files/2016/04/not-Qantas-pilot-uniform.jpg

Flava Saver
2nd May 2016, 10:48
Alright.

The general vibe is its crap. Looks crap. It is crap.

Are you all prepared to stand up and fight this? Refuse? There is a massive cost saving to QF by NOT changing tech crew uniforms despite the dollars already spent on fashion parades. The current ones are perfectly suitable.

Bickering on pprune, qrewroom etc is one thing. But what are you going to do? Seriously?

pjam
2nd May 2016, 13:19
Seriously, I'm going to put it on and think, "who the f### really cares".

The current uniform is rubbish and there's way more important things to fight about than whether or not I look like Capt Stubing when I turn up to work.

dr dre
2nd May 2016, 15:52

The current uniform is rubbish

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

At the end of the day I think at least 80% of pilots don't care one bit what they're wearing, as long as it's practical.

Those who vehemently dislike it have a right to their opinion, but not to believe that's the solid unified opinion of all pilots. Everyone I've spoken to directly, either likes the new uniform, doesn't care or doesn't dislike it to the point of pure hatred. And most say it's better than the current version. I'll admit they tend to be of a younger demographic, and stay well away from qrewroom.

And it's a moot point anyway. There may be very minor changes made, but essentially what you saw on Friday is the end product, and that'll be the end of the story.

maggot
2nd May 2016, 20:29

The current uniform is rubbish and there's way more important things to fight about than whether or not I look like Capt Stubing when I turn up to work.

This in spades.

Seems to be the raafies and retirees that are bothered greatly

IsDon
2nd May 2016, 22:16
This in spades.

Seems to be the raafies and retirees that are bothered greatly

Maybe that's because the RAAFies had to earn wings.

Retirees have many years vested in the history of Qantas.

Gen Y cadets and the like just bought theirs.

maggot
2nd May 2016, 22:27
lel

Its a set of wings, just different.
The cap badge is a little odd though.

Nice try but you're holding on too tight mav

The Full Monty
2nd May 2016, 23:13
I'm ex RAAF and I don't mind it at all.

I would suggest a change to the cap badge but won't lay awake at night if it does not happen - it is a corporate wardrobe and (noting that beauty is in the eye of the beholder) in my view, better than the current one.

I certainly earned my RAAF wings and lost some skin and hair as an 18/19 year old doing so but the reality is, whilst still securely serving, I filled out a form, did some tests, flew a sim and sat an interview for my Qantas job (who happened to be the first employer to say yes - I think I had 3 other live applications and was at various stages with those other airlines), and the wings came with the uniform fitting before I had even flown a Qantas aircraft.

I got handed a second stripe after my PUIT trip with a few mumbles and that was it and I did not expect anything; I had left HM's service and was now in civilian employment.

See you out there in the new gear people!

maggot
2nd May 2016, 23:37
Well said ^^^

I didnt think i implied any disrespect in my previous observation

Some people see it everywhere

capt.cynical
2nd May 2016, 23:38
Bugger the uniforms, how about a dividend for SHARE HOLDERS. !! :ugh::{

dr dre
3rd May 2016, 00:56

Sorry mate, I'm Gen Y and I along with the pilots of my generation most definitely earned our wings through hard work, study and $$$. We have as much right to have a say about the uniform as the older guys and ex military.

It's funny how all this talk about how changing the insignia on the wings and cap badge disrespects history, yet I've never in my time heard anyone complain or even point out that the roo and emu on the wings were ON THE WRONG SIDE! So why all the fuss now?

I believe the new wings are respectful to our past (the kangaroo symbol) whilst removing something that I personally consider now superfluous to the uniform (the coat of arms symbol, even though it will remain on the tie pin) and something that was misrepresented (the southern cross). I'll most definitely be wearing the uniform with pride and I look forward to our gen Y (or other) new recruits who also thoroughly earned their position and their wings to be wearing them with pride.

caneworm
3rd May 2016, 01:09
The general vibe is its crap. Looks crap. It is crap.
Yes, yes and yes
Are you all prepared to stand up and fight this? Refuse? There is a massive cost saving to QF by NOT changing tech crew uniforms despite the dollars already spent on fashion parades. The current ones are perfectly suitabLe.
Ah, don't think I'd be turning this into a pissing contest. The airline has already been shut down once over red ties. Execo egos are both fragile and powerful and will always prevail.
Only pick the fights you can win.

Keg
3rd May 2016, 01:30
.....roo and emu on the wings were ON THE WRONG SIDE! So why all the fuss now?

Use of the Australian coat of arms is by government decree. Qantas uses what is known as a 'stylised coat of arms'. IE it takes its heritage from the Aussie coat of arms but it isn't the same. You'll note too the Aussie coat of arms has within the shield the coat of arms of each state. The Qantas coat of arms has the southern cross. The Aussie coat of arms is topped by the Federation star. The Qantas coat of arms is topped by the rising sun.

The point is, many Qantas pilots like it for what it represents. I couldn't give a stuff that it's not the same of the Aussie coat of arms or that the Roo and Emu are reversed from the Aussie coat of arms. It's A coat of arms that has proudly adorned both my wings and my cap badge for the last 21 years. Before that it adorned my QFTS wings. It's been a part of me for more than half my life and I don't like it being thrown on the scrap heap in the name of 'fashion'.

I've never complained about it because I understood it's meaning and history as did most crew I ever discussed the meaning with. It's interesting though dr dre (funnily enough the iPad initially auto corrected that to 'der' which caused me to giggle) that I've seen your line of argument a few times now. In general it comes from people who place little value on symbology. That's cool. That's your prerogative. However given that you don't care, why don't you just leave the issue alone and let those of us who do care make an effort to keep the old wings and cap badge? I mean you're not fussed so why try and defend the new wings? Unless you prefer the new wings? You reckon they more effectively represent who we are and what we do?

Personally I could've lived with a change from the big Q in the wings to a roo but the proposed wings look almost identical to the F/A wings. If they'd let him go to silver like he originally wanted they would be virtually indistinguishable from up close as well instead of just being indistinguishable from the current F/A wing from more than 10' away.

Until you can tell me what was wrong with them, I'll keep asking why the wings were changed. Why is the stylised coat of arms superfluous? If you are keen to be respectful of our past why do we have a cloth wing on a shirt?

dr dre
3rd May 2016, 02:02
Unless you prefer the new wings? You reckon they more effectively represent who we are and what we do?

Yeah I do. We aren't a government run carrier any more so the coat of arms is IMHO unnecessary. The southern cross should have been displayed correctly to begin with. I've also been told that the new wings are made of threaded gold bullion, which apparently will be more expensive than the current metal ones. If they disrespect us why are they doing something that will cost them more?

I respect the honour and tradition you associate with the old wings Keg. You most thoroughly should be proud of wearing them. If you want, I think you should be allowed to wear the metal wings if you wish, it'll be under the now (rumoured) compulsory jacket in the terminal so no one will notice. But I think it'd be a small number who would.

Keg
3rd May 2016, 02:28
It's not the Aussie coat of arms. First you imply we are dills because we didn't complain the emu and roo were around the wrong way. Now when it's been explained that they're not the Aussie coat of arms you bring up the Aussie coat of arms and that we aren't a government carrier? That doesn't make sense.

I fear though that too much emphasis is simply on the coat of arms- particularly from you Dre. This thing is a totality issue. There are hundreds of options that are better than the proposed wings for both jacket and shirt.

Even if we are lumped with the new wings, I still want metal ones on my shirt. Cloth wings on shirts are crap. They'll be bulky and uncomfortable under the harness and that's before you address the fashion issue that you're so keen on. They look like crap. Wings are normally worn immediately above the pocket, over the heart. Not on the upper shoulder. That they cost more is irrelevant. It just goes to show how Qantas is penny wise, pound foolish. They'll need replacing much more frequently and cost heaps to replace.

dr dre
3rd May 2016, 03:25
We can argue about the symbolism of certain elements all day long.
But on the pure "look" of the design, if you (and the opinion of some others) is that the new insignia "looks like crap", the opinion of myself and a lot of my peers is that it looks much better than previous one.
Anyways like I said before, the basic design isn't changing. Management and the designer have invested far too much into this process to have it changed now.

mcgrath50
3rd May 2016, 03:34
What's wrong with the hat badge? I like the minimalist modern look to it? Personally the understated nature of it says class, rather than North Korean tank commander (or silver top taxi driver) which overuse of gold can lead to.

Jimothy
3rd May 2016, 03:56
If you don't mind what looks like a beer coaster stuck to the front of an 1950's milk mans hat then all good.

JPJP
3rd May 2016, 04:10
Hmmmm .....

It appears that the snaggle toothed leprechaun is living out another one of his boyhood fantasies - Designing a clothing line for Ken dolls dressed as sailors.

:E

Keg
3rd May 2016, 04:35
Anyways like I said before, the basic design isn't changing. Management and the designer have invested far too much into this process to have it changed now.

Then this demonstrates a fundamentally flawed process with a topping of poor leadership.

Ida down
3rd May 2016, 05:25
Strangely this doesnt bother me
I doubt it bothers them either Maggot, but you know how Australians just love to take the p#ss, every chance they get. And sending the guys and gals out in any new uniform, makes them fair game. Especially with a cute white hat, and wings that are close enough to your chin, to be used as a toothpick. Don't sweat, we have all been there. And survived.

maggot
3rd May 2016, 06:44
:)

2EggOmelette
3rd May 2016, 07:05
It just occurred to me, if you remove the wings, it is the same uniform as an Italian traffic cop wears.

framer
3rd May 2016, 08:13
Where's the sense of self respect and dignity?
My wife asks me the same thing when we go to a BBQ with her work colleagues. She just doesn't understand the efficiency gains of wearing my uniform for the entire day rather than two different sets of clothes.........chicks.

framer
3rd May 2016, 08:26
I'm not a moron, I save the monkey suit until after the bbq.

Jc31
3rd May 2016, 08:59

All the people that just joined the link have slogged it out in ga. Did they all buy theirs?

Stanwell
3rd May 2016, 09:00
It just occurred to me, if you remove the wings, it is the same uniform as an Italian traffic cop wears.

Nah!
The Italian uniforms are considerably more stylish - even without the white Sam Browne.

To me, it indicates that the designer (and those that approved it) have little appreciation of the elements that combine to communicate the seniority and responsibility of the wearer.
I'll be the first to agree that rows of brass buttons and scrambled eggs are passé - but.. having flight deck crew looking like Luna Park ticket-takers is another matter.

Some serious thought and design work on the cap badge is required.
As others have noted, the brevet design and placement also needs a think.

NowThatsFunny
3rd May 2016, 09:55
Dr Dre

You keep harping on about how the new uniform is respectful and representative of our history and past uniforms, and on the other hand you toss away any thoughts (of people who have probably been wearing and representing this company a lot longer than you) that the stylised coat of arms, southern cross, metal wings (just above the pocket) and everything else about the current uniform also represent certain aspects of the company's tradition and history.

So which way is it? You either care about history and tradition, or you don't. I guess you're too busy defending a uniform you don't really give a **** about.

NowThatsFunny

goodonyamate
3rd May 2016, 11:27
Originally Posted by IsDon View Post

Retirees have nothing vested in Qantas...you were an employee...nothing more, nothing less....

RAAFies....got to fly on my parents coin. Definitely need a big set of wings to stroke that ego....:p Met a new Capt yesterday...only took him less than a minute to say 'when I was in the RAAF' :rolleyes:

ACMS
3rd May 2016, 12:05
Oops, someone here has a big chip on each shoulder I think......:D

IsDon
3rd May 2016, 12:29
Retirees have nothing vested in Qantas...you were an employee...nothing more, nothing less....

RAAFies....got to fly on my parents coin. Definitely need a big set of wings to stroke that ego....:p Met a new Capt yesterday...only took him less than a minute to say 'when I was in the RAAF' :rolleyes:

Tried and failed did we?

Can pick one a mile off.

Dry your eyes princess!

Tankengine
3rd May 2016, 21:00
Not everyone even applied to the RAAF.

Pretty even split with wankers from GA or the RAAF.;)

toolish
4th May 2016, 07:37
Hey at least it is still better than what we have at the low cost subsidiary

Shadowfromthesky
4th May 2016, 08:01
I think people will begin to like the uniform when they see the real thing. However, I do agree metal wings would of been nice.

The white part of the hat is actually a type of bonded rubber, so it will clean very easily. They did a lot of testing with it. Also the uniform was designed with a large amount of pilot input. They made many changes based on early testing from groups of pilots. Also when you look at the survey's many of them were sitting right in the 50/50 mark of what pilots wanted, so the designer was always going to have a hard time pleasing everyone. The actual quality and cut of the uniforms is a huge improvement also.

bdcer
4th May 2016, 08:05
Ha ha, that's the spirit toolish! Make sure you drag everyone down with you.

IsDon
4th May 2016, 08:36
I think people will begin to like the uniform when they see the real thing. However, I do agree metal wings would of been nice.

The white part of the hat is actually a type of bonded rubber, so it will clean very easily. They did a lot of testing with it. Also the uniform was designed with a large amount of pilot input. They made many changes based on early testing from groups of pilots. Also when you look at the survey's many of them were sitting right in the 50/50 mark of what pilots wanted, so the designer was always going to have a hard time pleasing everyone. The actual quality and cut of the uniforms is a huge improvement also.

I don't think anyone has any great issue with the suit. Hat aside the pants and jacket look smart.

The main issue people have is with the wings, epaulettes and cap badge. You know, the things that turn a suit into a uniform. None of these were shown to any of us before the reveal. Even the models had to sign non disclosure clauses.

What bizarre behaviour. Making pilots sign a non disclosure to keep other pilots from finding out what they will wear before the general public.

That just shows the whole focus was on the reveal, the event and how much publicity they could get. The focus should have been on producing something that the people actually wearing the thing would be happy with.

A colossal cock up.

Shadowfromthesky
4th May 2016, 10:53
Not sure if your info is entirely correct. There were a group of pilots that had seen the hat, and even tested out the wings months before the models signed the NDA. They even changed the backing of the wings because it had two clips which would push on a persons chest when wearing the 5 point harness, so they changed the backing of the wings to something more comfortable. Who knows, maybe they will change the wings if a lot of people don't like them.

Capn Bloggs
4th May 2016, 11:26
They even changed the backing of the wings because it had two clips which would push on a persons chest when wearing the 5 point harness
Been modelling those for 25 years. No problems discovered yet... although some would say I don't have a chest! :}

romeocharlie
4th May 2016, 12:59
As for the uniform, I can't wait to wear pants that don't resemble 'Mc Hammer'

RC

almostthere!
4th May 2016, 13:58
Even the models had to sign non disclosure clauses.

Models? Hahaha if that's what you want to call them that's very nice of you. I think Zoolander would of been more apt in his description, "model, idiot."

Good waste of $300k plus in the reveal, wages of 50 plus "models", actual models and let alone the cost of the design process. Hopefully QF don't cry poor anytime soon asking for a government bailout.

mcgrath50
5th May 2016, 00:53
The main issue people have is with the wings, epaulettes and cap badge.

I love that this is the same forum that lampoons young wannabes for their over zealous use of gold epaulettes at the local aero club or their first GA interview. And we are now all getting our (now nicely tailored) trousers in a knot about what is basically window dressing.

Edit: sorry IsDon, not directed at you individually, you just had a good quote. I'm just getting annoyed about this molehill being made into a mountain on multiple forums!

Now personally I like the cap badge and epaulettes (the wings I'm not thrilled about), but really there is almost as much outrage about this here as there was about the lock out. Get a grip, if the job and uniform defines you that much you have bigger issues.

IsDon
5th May 2016, 01:27
Edit: sorry IsDon, not directed at you individually, you just had a good quote. I'm just getting annoyed about this molehill being made into a mountain on multiple forums!

No offence taken mate.

Now personally I like the cap badge and epaulettes (the wings I'm not thrilled about), but really there is almost as much outrage about this here as there was about the lock out. Get a grip, if the job and uniform defines you that much you have bigger issues.

True.

But I do think a serious amount of backlash is warranted if we have any chance of influencing anything of the uniform before the process is unstoppable. It seems the outrage has been noticed, and I trust we will have some amendments to fix the major issues.

For me, in order, they would be:

Things that are horrible:
1. Wings,
2. Hat badge,
3. Epaulettes,
4. Hat.

Things I can live with but probably need some tweaking:
5. Shirt,
6. Jacket buttons,
7. Jacket rank

Things I don't mind at all:
8. Jacket,
9. Trousers

Based on the assumption that the actually materials, wearability and comfort are as per those that were worn by those doing the trial. By all accounts an improvement on our current uniform.

I don't think the issues that most people have are difficult to fix.

caneworm
5th May 2016, 01:45
Heard this the other day...
Capts. will be given the task of formally reporting crew for non compliance, ie not correctly wearing the new uniform?

Keg
5th May 2016, 02:42
no different to how it is now caneworm.

caneworm
5th May 2016, 03:35
no different to how it is now

What I was alluding to was a FCR for non compliance.

The FAM, I believe refers more to the uniforms state of repair and not so much of non compliance, although I'm sure an overzealous Capt may interpret it that way, and may indeed be reworded thus.
Until now the issue of non compliance (uniforms) was probably low on managements radar.
This thread has no doubt changed that.

C441
5th May 2016, 05:30
We have enough trouble getting crew to FCR stuff now that they should be documenting. I can only think of a few who would bother to FCR a uniform non-compliance……especially if they aren't complying themselves! :cool:

…….and IsDon's list above (post 170) pretty much sums up most people's thoughts.

Angle of Attack
5th May 2016, 07:29
Just like its the First Officers responsibility to submit a discretionary fuel order form when a certain amount above the threshold is exceeded. That's been in for a few years yet no one does it. On paper sounds good but no one will do it or wear the hat, pretty simple really. FAM or no FAM people use common sense, a thing lacking in QF management. In fact they should join my daughter watching ABC4KIDS that's far more relevant. Peter Rabbit at least is sane, not like some moron managers.

Capn Bloggs
12th May 2016, 03:46
Nice big pockets. Now I can upgrade my phone!
Hmmm, appears not. Can't do button up with iphone 6...

caneworm
12th May 2016, 10:42
Hmmm, appears not. Can't do button up with iphone 6..

What about a passport?

Keg
12th May 2016, 13:21
I couldn't get the button done up when I tried my passport the other day. :(

framer
12th May 2016, 13:54
QF have approached The Department of Internal Affairs regarding a 'cut-down' version of the passport which is expected out in July.

Brakerider
12th May 2016, 19:58
So where can the general public buy the surplus old shirts? would be good if you could, not many off the rack pilot shirts with holes for the wings.

Keg
12th May 2016, 22:11
There won't be surplus anything I reckon. They've issued them out to every other group entity. I ordered a new hat and tie months ago and it's been on 'back order'. Nil stock. So a Network pilot is wearing a shiny new hat whilst a mainline pilot has a cruddy old one.

(I like a shiny new uniform. The F/As think I'm new and have lower expectations of me! ) :ok: :} :E

framer
14th May 2016, 10:27
Are you sure it's the uniform Keg?

Keg
14th May 2016, 11:29
Lol. Smart Alec. :D

Hoofharted
15th May 2016, 13:49
So a Network pilot is wearing a shiny new hat whilst a mainline pilot has a cruddy old one.
I'm sure the Network crew would quite happily hand you their hats if you feel that way about it. Apparently they weren't well received at all - especially that the crew are expected to ponse around a mine-site all day in full regalia. :rolleyes:

framer
15th May 2016, 14:10
I couldn't let it go Keg :) But I do like your thought process, I might try it.

Keg
15th May 2016, 22:37
I'm sure the Network crew would quite happily hand you their hats if you feel that way about it.

Given the number of posts on Instagram showing off the Qantas uniform when they got it I'm not sure that they would.

Ida down
16th May 2016, 00:01
Heard this the other day...
Capts. will be given the task of formally reporting crew for non compliance, ie not correctly wearing the new uniform?They always have. Most just mention it, but then again, if you run into the company man............and there always is a company man, lurking somewhere........expect a spray. It makes him feel good.

goodonyamate
16th May 2016, 05:55
These days anyone giving a spray about not wearing a jacket probably wouldn't get the response they were hoping for. :E

mrdeux
17th May 2016, 02:21

I've seen the real thing. It was worse in the flesh than on the pictures.

Capts. will be given the task of formally reporting crew for non compliance, ie not correctly wearing the new uniform?

Have to report myself then....

Ida down
19th May 2016, 06:31

Not this retiree. TAA, seconded out, wet, to the Govt. for mineral exploration, and using a DC3 ( VH MIN) flying at around 500 ft, eight hours a day, so it wasn't long before her pilots, designed their own uniform. Stubbies, army socks, army boots, and a baseball hat. That was it. The Skipper getting to wear a Mickey Mouse badge on his hat, just so they knew who was who, if we pranged her. All happy, all good,until one day on arrival at Boulia, we were ( much to our horror) greeted by the Grand Poobah of TAA, Capt. Frank Ball, and a couple of Govt.head honchos. Looking like a couple of homeless, we had to face the traumatized boss, whose face said it all.Ordered back into line flying uniforms, we took the trio out the next morning and headed straight over the desert. It was not long before their ties,came off, shirt sleeves rolled up, coats disgarded as we sat there stoic with our uniforms stuck to us, but uttered not a word. Finally they decided they had had enough, and asked for her to be turned around, desperate to be out of the heat, and a beer. Nothing more was ever said about our flying gear during the rest of our tenure,as we returned to line flying each about 7 kilo's lighter, despite our steady diet of beer, when off duty. See, uniforms mean diddly squat, its the flying that counts, and what they put in your bank acct. And that sort of flying is irreplaceable.

framer
19th May 2016, 08:09
I really enjoyed that post Ida. Nice perspective.

Stanwell
19th May 2016, 10:05
Same here, Ida.

Drifting a bit from uniform issues, two questions:
1. What was the BMR looking for, using MIN, around Boulia way?
2. About what year was that?

Cheers,
Stan.

Buttscratcher
19th May 2016, 11:35
Thanks Ida !!

Cheers

Ida down
21st May 2016, 14:00
Same here, Ida.

Drifting a bit from uniform issues, two questions:
1. What was the BMR looking for, using MIN, around Boulia way?
2. About what year was that?

Cheers,
Stan. Around the sixties Stan. Will check my logs.We were based at Boulia, and often camped out at the end of the runway, and thought nothing of starting her up and taxi up to the town end, load her up with "refreshments" and taxi back.Imagine doing that now. We were also based at Gordon Downs Station. We had six Geologists with us and two water table blokes, and MIN had a large "bee sting" Attached to her rump, which gave the Geo Boys info about minerals and water. We normally flew at 500 ft, give or take the odd hill, or rise. It was a three year sign up, for the winter/dry season, and was supposed to move you up to a command quicker if you took it on. (It didn't, nothing has changed!). I flew with Capt. Peter Korsman, a bomber command survivor, and then Capt. Gordon Close, also a WW2 survivor. Both outstanding blokes and pilots, and gave me a background thats hard to get these days. We normally flew up to ISA, on to Camooweal, then all points west, nor'west, but it depended on the Geo boys and their orders as to where we ended up. Flight plans? Sort of. We had a permanent LAME with us, and a collection of parts, but she was a reliable old bus, and didn't let us down to often, which was probably just as well as the LAME enjoyed an ale, but still a whiz at keeping her going. Different times, a bit like out of The Boys Own Manual, living rough, good company, and magic flying. Going back to line flying in the summer, was suffocating after that sort of life, as I was only a young bloke, no wife and kids, so thought I was in heaven, despite the heat.Line flying brought me back to reality, as did the nuptials, and the arrival of the anklebiters! PS. The Geo and water blokes adopted our "uniform" very smartly.

Stanwell
21st May 2016, 17:44
Good. Thanks, Ida.
I was involved in mineral exploration up that way during the eighties and so we probably would have been using material gathered
by you and your Geo Boys in VH-MIN back then.
Boots, Stubbies and a hat with fly-net were 'uniform'. :ok:

Now, back to our scheduled program.

350point77
25th May 2016, 12:45
Keg can have my Hat size 60

Bluewhine
13th Sep 2016, 23:08
When is the new Qantas uniform going to be worn ?
I just saw some QF pilots on the Ch7 sunrise show wearing it whilst doing an interview for pink breast cancer month ( great support on this subject also QF �� )

Keg
14th Sep 2016, 01:51
27 October although for various promotional things (announcement of 787 sim in SYD, crew bringing home olympians, etc) some crew have been wearing it. They wear their other uniform every other day.

Bluewhine
14th Sep 2016, 09:00
Thanks Keg.