PDA

View Full Version : Learning frensh and dutch (KLM,Air France)

batmax
28th Apr 2016, 04:33
Hello guys,
I will start my ILST (Bachelor of engineering) and ATPL this year. During my study I want to make a language course (frensh or dutch). My aim is to reach level C2. My plan is to finish my ATPL and apply for jobs like Ryanair, Norwegian, Germania to collect some hours. After that I want to apply for KLM or Air France, cause it is my big dream to fly for them. But do you think foreign pilots who are able to speak frensh or dutch in a fluent way have a chance to get an job?

Thank you in advance!

Edgington
28th Apr 2016, 09:52
Don't know about Air France, somehow don't think many ex-pats work for them. KLM however is very difficult to get into unless you have trained at their Flight Academy. Only when they are desperate do they hire people from outside. That happened about 9 years ago, you had to do an extra Bridge course before you could even apply. I know a few who were hired, they were all Dutch, never heard about any ex-pat that was hired.
Most ex-pats who work for KLM, joined because klm bought the airline they were working for.

kilomike_19
28th Apr 2016, 11:19
frensh or dutch

*French or Dutch

apply for jobs like Ryanair, Norwegian, Germania to collect some hours.

Wish you good luck my friend, you are not the only one...

After that I want to apply for KLM or Air France, cause it is my big dream to fly for them

Well, you are dreaming a little bit more than expected. Forget AF at all, if you are not French and you didn't done your training in the ENAC in Toulouse you have any chance to get into this company. KLM is difficult but not impossible, if you are Dutch, of course.

But do you think foreign pilots who are able to speak frensh or dutch in a fluent way have a chance to get an job?

Negative. Your fluency in other languages may help you with other airlines (RYR,NAX...) but with Air France... I don't think so.

Apparently you are German. Lufthansa, another "legacy" airline, have a cadet program. They ask for fluent German speakers. Take a look !

Home - Lufthansa Flight Training (http://www.lufthansa-flight-training.com/en/home)

Good luck !

wiggy
28th Apr 2016, 12:29
batmax

I'm a great believer in "never say never" but from what I've seen and heard 100% agree with the 2 posters above, especially regarding Air France.

Aside from BA most European "flag carriers" seem to be remarkably good at gating entry to anyone other than home soil nationals. I think in the main they do it by having legacy tie-ins with their native education system and establishments (e.g. ENAC) and/or language requirements that require you to prove at interview that you can communicate at native speaker level, rather than simply having a aviation language level indicated on your licence.

That said I'd still say any extra language skill you can pick up is well worth doing.

batmax
28th Apr 2016, 14:06
Thank you for the really nice help! In conclusion: it makes no sence for me learning French or Dutch ?

kilomike_19
28th Apr 2016, 15:13
Learning French, Dutch or any other language will always give you a "plus" searching a job. Specially if you are good in French or Dutch you can apply to low-cost carriers with bases in France, Belgium or Netherlands, to some French and Dutch airlines such Transavia...

To sum up, learning a new language will be an advantage in your aviation career or any other one.

By the way sorry for being a little "rude" in my first post, but believe me, taking part of an airline such AF it's very very hard, nearly impossible, as a foreign, and also for the nationals. Getting part of the ENAC it's hard, French students have to pass a "concours", an entrance exam. If you are lucky and you pass, when you finish the training after competing always with your "classmates", you have to be one of the best to be able to do an assessment with Air France. Anyway, I know a guy that he passed all this obstacles and he had do P2F with a Moroccan airline...

My advice : Work hard and enjoy flying. You will enjoy by the same way working at Air France or Ryanair.

RedBullGaveMeWings
28th Apr 2016, 19:29
Learning new languages is always good, so if you are good at it just do it. There are several jobs out there that require you to know the local language at least up to a certain level (B2 at least), not just at the airlines but also corporate (if you ever looked at that sector of aviation).

Piltdown Man
29th Apr 2016, 12:26
I totally agree with the posters who say that entry into AF or KLM is virtually impossible. As for learning a(nother) language, that will be useful. The most useful language would be the one of the country you are most likely to live in. If you already know that one, then French, Spanish or maybe (don't laugh) Mandarin.

Amongst my colleagues, I'm the duffer. In addition to their mother tongue, they are fluent in English and often a few other languages like German, French and Spanish.

batmax
2nd May 2016, 11:46
Thank you for the really nice help ! But which languages makes more sense ? Dutch or French , I am not sure :(

Intrance
5th May 2016, 20:01
French is spoken in a lot more places than Dutch, not to mention that it sounds way better ;).

RedBullGaveMeWings
6th May 2016, 19:57
Pick French.

EC DKN
7th May 2016, 18:44
Spanish all the way! Get ICAO Spanish level 4 and 1000 h SE and you can try Vueling, more chances with Volotea, SwiftAir etc! I don't know about the French market!

kilomike_19
7th May 2016, 21:24
@ EC DKN

Even Spanish pilots can't work with 1000h... ridiculous

EC DKN
8th May 2016, 01:16
? I know personally 8 spanish pilots who got jobs with Vueling last year! 5 of them instructors!

kilomike_19
8th May 2016, 21:03
@ EC KDN

"Plugs".... (literally translated from Spanish)