PDA

View Full Version : How do I now refuse W-10 ?

ExSp33db1rd
27th Apr 2016, 23:34
Last year, at the behest of Microsoft, I registered for a free download of W-10, as and when it appeared, I thought, maybe mistakenly (?) that if I didn't register then I would be locked out of the 'free' offer should I eventually decide that I wanted it.

Having read and listened to many comments regarding W-10 I've decided not to bother, I've more or less learned to tame, and live with, W-H'eight so will probably wait until there is a W-20 or similar ( i.e. W-7 was OK for me, so if it ain't broke why fix it - yes, I know, I know, money, for someone ) but .... I'm been getting daily, even thrice daily, reminders to download W-10 NOW !! which I've ignored, but today I fortunately glanced at the laptop and saw that W-10 was going to be downloaded - without my agreement - in 14 minutes 10 seconds, 9 seconds, 8 seconds etc. counting down.

My only option was to delay this until a future date, and only a few days was available to choose, so I picked the maximum but will have to sit on my computer all day on May 3rd to avoid a repeat, and presumably hope to delay again.

How do I stop the barstewards ?

FlightDetent
27th Apr 2016, 23:58
GWX Control Panel Ultimate Outsider (http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/).

ExSp33db1rd
28th Apr 2016, 08:49
Thanks, looks good, will give it a go.

Loose rivets
28th Apr 2016, 11:22
Yep, duly bookmarked. :ok:

PDR1
28th Apr 2016, 11:40
Personally I'd just do the upgrade. I've done it on 5 laptop and 2 desktop machines in my household and the process has always been simple & error-free. The result runs faster and loads a lot faster. I can see no reason for *not* doing it.

PDR

Freda Checks
28th Apr 2016, 11:44
Agree with the last post.

Certainly apprehensive after the Windows 8 debacle, but this is a new kettle of fish.

Go on do it, you know it makes sense!!

Capn Bloggs
28th Apr 2016, 13:14
GWXed! Thanks for the tip, FD.

FlightDetent
28th Apr 2016, 15:38
I googled hard to find it once. :ok: Especially as there are so many spoof or downright dangerous programs that claim to help you. And bigger the advertisement, the scarier the result.

Personally I am part of the brigade with gentlemen above, 6 machines later I never looked back. Although I upgraded when I wanted and once I had a reason plus time available to do so. Frustration that MS is getting close up and personal about making that decision on behalf of the user is well understood.

FlightDetent
28th Apr 2016, 20:49
Right. :sad:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChFure3WUAAlecW.jpg:large

finfly1
29th Apr 2016, 18:32
Someone on these pages once posted a step by step list of what one was required to do in order to prevent W10 from sucking up all the data on your computer (including private files) and selling it to strangers. This, it was claimed, was what you agreed to when you began using W10.

I have made several efforts to find and save that thread without success.

Anybody else have a link to it? Thanks in advance.

Loose rivets
30th Apr 2016, 00:47
fin, I'd very much like to find that myself. Have you looked using GooGoo, pprune.org/compter . . . etc., etc.? Much more powerful tool than our own Search.

Those 'upgrading' and comforted by being able to go back, be mindful of certain issues. I ran Disc Cleanup - just wondering about the Windows Old that lasts nearly a month before being removed. It did not show up.

Looking straight at the folder I find 34GB in it! I have the Office starter thing plus the Real Office awaiting a key - but not much else.

It might be that my odd laptop's issues of an abysmally long boot time might be explained by this. But going back is not always so smooth and possibly Disc Cleanup is simply overwhelmed. As am I at the moment.

Reassurances about just downloading W7 and starting again with an ISO are getting more and more problematical. Putting in the key before the download is allowed seems very usual now - I'd love to know if it can be bypassed - but I put my label Key in this evening and it said I had to go to Sony for it. It's all getting more an more tedious but at least their wording implied they recognised the legal key.

BTW. Don't know if I've mentioned it, but when the 10 alighted on my laptop, it had a new Key. (according to Belarc.) This time with no mention of the OEM in the pre sequence of the Key.

Put the SSD in my Vaio i7 and hit it with my rhythm stick. 5 minutes is now 28 seconds, but there's not much loaded especially drivers. It's the first install I've done where the wi-fi hasn't hooked in. Still it was nice to see just how blindingly fast an SSD can be when yellow wired to the router.

reynoldsno1
1st May 2016, 23:50
I get something similar on a regular basis since upgrading to W7 recently :8
I just press the X and get rid of it ... hasn't downloaded anything.

Fareastdriver
5th May 2016, 12:59
I went to Toolbar properties and got rid of the toolbar reminder too. I ran W10 for about a month on another computer but I couldn't get my old card games back.
It was too late to revert to W7 so I did a manual reinstall. The usual couple of days for it to upgrade itself and when SP 1 was reloaded back came the W10 reminder.

ExSp33db1rd
6th May 2016, 01:08
See Post #2

GWX Control Panel Ultimate Outsider.

Has worked for me - so far to date.