PDA

View Full Version : Onboard Jepps Expired need some help with the regs here

Gambit76116
27th Apr 2016, 09:52
Question is if the onboard physical copy of the jepps are expired and the aircraft nav database also expires on the same day, what are the regs on flight? MEL states flight to be dispatched based planning to be on current charts and onboard navigational equipment to be manually tuned. I would like to know how other companies handle these kind of updates?

tehya
27th Apr 2016, 12:25
Most MEL's I have dealt with allow 10-days to get an updated GPS card installed.
Regarding the books they don't in my opinion expire. Weekly updates are sent out and manuals updated accordingly. Depending on how spread out your fleet is can dictate how often you can actually update the manuals.
The amendment list will show what has been amended. Regarding charts you could find that none of your regular airfields have been amended and therefore remain current.
If a change is needed to be notified there is always the method, if you have jeppview, of downloading the appropriate charts and faxing/emailing to the crew to use.

FlyingStone
27th Apr 2016, 21:14
So, you want to dispatch a flight that has both outdated charts and outdated navigation database?

A very clear and straight no-go in a normal outfit.

777AV8R
2nd May 2016, 04:42
If you are planning an IFR flight in such a circumstance, it is a no-go, for the following reasons:

ICAO A6-I-6.2.3c:
An aeroplane shall carry:
c) current and suitable charts to cover the route of the proposed flight
and any route along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may
be diverted.

This Standard also includes aircraft databases.

If you were the subject of a Safety Assessment of Foreign Aircraft ramp inspection (SAFA) or another State that has a similar inspection program, you would be subject to a Category 3 Finding, which would ground your aircraft until such time that you could produce valid charts for the flight.

Seeing that you may be from the UAE, they have a comprehensive ramp inspection program under a working relationship with EASA and their SAFA program. The State of Qatar also has a comprehensive SAFA program in effect as well.