PDA

View Full Version : Junkstars weird/illegal boarding policy for disable at OOL

XPT
27th Apr 2016, 06:01
it seems JQ only allow 2 people to use the lift at airports such as OOL with no airbridges (why a limit ?)

Surely this is discriminating against the disabled ? Media would love to get hold of this one.

Headline such as ...

disabled person refused boarding lift by JQ ground staff !!!

Speaking to person at check in who said they could NOT prebook it (due to limitation of 2) & since they booked their health has deteriorated.

So what happens to 3rd person wanting to use lift ?

They either have to struggle up stairs or wait at bottom of stairs until some rocket scientist, realises, they are not going anywhere, without using lift.

turbantime
27th Apr 2016, 06:49
I don't work for them but our mob use the same contractors so I'll say that someone has their wires crossed. Only 2 people can be in the lift at any one time (have seen 3 sometimes but that included ground crew). There's no limitation on how many can use it though and have myself seen more than 2 use it on a regular basis in OOL. Unless it's something J* are doing to bolster otp as those things add a lot of time to turnarounds?

hkgfooey
27th Apr 2016, 07:03
It sounds like the lift from the tarmac to the aircraft door which should only have 2 people in it each trip.

Chad Gates
27th Apr 2016, 07:13
Removed.............

Wunwing
27th Apr 2016, 07:34
I support a limit of 2 disabled on an A320.
We tend to forget that the C.C. are legally there for safety reasons and I defy anyone to explain how they can even get 2 disabled down the slides in 90 seconds? Any more in an emergency is impossible and has the almost certainty in a real life emergency to end up killing both abled pax, C.C. as well as the disabled themselves.

It may not be PC but it is a reality.

Wunwing

Big Coight
27th Apr 2016, 07:54
We tend to forget that the C.C. are legally there for safety reasons and I defy anyone to explain how they can even get 2 disabled down the slides in 90 seconds? Any more in an emergency is impossible and has the almost certainty in a real life emergency to end up killing both abled pax, C.C. as well as the disabled themselves.

Wunwing

The way I read the OP, it seems that Jetstar only have a limit when not using an aerobridge. If safety is compromised by having more than 2 disabled passengers on board, then surely it doesn't matter how they boarded? If this is an actual policy, it is discrimination (OMHO).

BC

wishiwasupthere
27th Apr 2016, 08:04
Maybe if they were on a Kiwi AOC, it wouldn't be an issue, ey XPT/BNEA320?

Lookleft
27th Apr 2016, 08:27
Nice to see your righteous indignation BNE A320 but it has been J* policy for a while and if you are doing your job properly as a travel agent then recommend that pax with a disability travel Virgin or Qantas. I do and I work for Jetstar.

XPT
27th Apr 2016, 09:20

Wunwingno didn't say he was in a wheelchair, but had a walking stick & was probably 80. Said he could walk alright on flat ground, but couldn't go up stairs.

XPT
27th Apr 2016, 09:22
Nice to see your righteous indignation BNE A320 but it has been J* policy for a while and if you are doing your job properly as a travel agent then recommend that pax with a disability travel Virgin or Qantas. I do and I work for Jetstar.no think JQ policy has been misconstrued. by some "rocket scientist".

Look at social security. Anyone with a sore toe/finger/back, can get a disability allowance.

There are various degrees of disability.

wheels_down
27th Apr 2016, 10:01
Most LCC have had their fair share of discriminating pax.

Tiger got into trouble when they started in 2007, They purchased only one lift stair machine for the Melbourne base. But didn't think about purchasing any for its destinations, so the folks got there but couldn't get back! They also told the deaf to travel with a carer.

Didn't go down well with Human Rights Commision.

Bula
27th Apr 2016, 10:28
This case has already been fought and upheld as reasonable in court.

Next...

Bula
27th Apr 2016, 10:31
Hasn't this already been upheld as reasonable in court?

If they need the lift, I believe they are moved onto the next lift available service.

Also you can pre book, I just wouldn't try doing it on the day if one really needs it.

XPT
27th Apr 2016, 11:12
Hasn't this already been upheld as reasonable in court?

If they need the lift, I believe they are moved onto the next lift available service.

Also you can pre book, I just wouldn't try doing it on the day if one really needs it.
bloke said he could NOT prebook as already had 2 booked. Must be those offshore res staff maybe ? (badly trained)

Bula
27th Apr 2016, 11:39
bloke said he could NOT prebook as already had 2 booked. Must be those offshore res staff maybe ? (badly trained)

I believe under those circumstances it means he would need to choose a different flight where the service is available, which from memory was upheld in court as reasonable.

Mrs King booked her flight over the internet in August 2008 but was contacted the next day and told she would not be able to fly on that day because there were already two passengers requiring wheelchair assistance booked on the flight.

She was told Jetstar had a policy of only allowing a maximum of two wheelchair-reliant passengers on any flight.

She took the low-budget airline to the Federal Court, claiming it discriminated against her by treating her less favourably than a passenger who did not have a disability.

However, Federal Court Judge Alan Robertson found that Mrs King failed to select "wheelchairs" under a special section on the website.

He also found that the airline offered her another flight on the same route, but Mrs King refused.

"In my view Jetstar did not discriminate against Mrs King, being a person with a disability because of the fact that she ... possessed a wheelchair," Justice Robertson said.

Read more: http://www.traveller.com.au/wheelchair-passenger-loses-jetstar-case-1pys7#ixzz471hbq4O6
Follow us: @TravellerAU on Twitter | TravellerAU on Facebook

XPT
27th Apr 2016, 11:58
I believe under those circumstances it means he would need to choose a different flight where the service is available, which from memory was upheld in court as reasonable.

Mrs King booked her flight over the internet in August 2008 but was contacted the next day and told she would not be able to fly on that day because there were already two passengers requiring wheelchair assistance booked on the flight.

She was told Jetstar had a policy of only allowing a maximum of two wheelchair-reliant passengers on any flight.

She took the low-budget airline to the Federal Court, claiming it discriminated against her by treating her less favourably than a passenger who did not have a disability.

However, Federal Court Judge Alan Robertson found that Mrs King failed to select "wheelchairs" under a special section on the website.

He also found that the airline offered her another flight on the same route, but Mrs King refused.

"In my view Jetstar did not discriminate against Mrs King, being a person with a disability because of the fact that she ... possessed a wheelchair," Justice Robertson said.

Read more: Wheelchair passenger loses Jetstar case (http://www.traveller.com.au/wheelchair-passenger-loses-jetstar-case-1pys7#ixzz471hbq4O6)
Follow us: @TravellerAU on Twitter | TravellerAU on Facebookthis passenger didn't need a wheelchair though, just a way to get up the stairs.

Bula
28th Apr 2016, 11:01
Special needs passenger. One in the same.

I'm not for or against the policy. It is just the way it is.