PDA

View Full Version : Tamworth industry rally - friday 6 may 2016

aviationadvertiser
26th Apr 2016, 06:15
INDUSTRY RALLY TAMWORTH AIRPORT

** YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT **

1 PM - FRIDAY, 6TH MAY 2016
HANGAR 6, Tamworth Regional Airport NSW, Australia.

To the Australian Aviation Industry,

YOUR INDUSTRY NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT - 6th MAY 2016

I am calling on the support of all pilots, aircraft owners, aviation business owners and operators to attend our industry rally in Tamworth, on Friday 6th May 2016.

This is your opportunity to be seen and to be heard!

The industry’s leading associations, peak-bodies and aviation personalities, will be in attendance. All standing with the pilots, aircraft owners, aviation businesses and operators of our industry - united in the call for change.

We are calling on the government take immediate measures to end the regulatory nightmare that has destroyed our charter, flight training and maintenance industries. Made Australia uncompetitive on the global aviation stage. Eroded essential air services connecting regional Australia, disconnecting townships and isolating communities.

A regulatory nightmare that has forced an entire industry into collapse and thousands of hard working men and women into bankruptcy.

In attendance, representing the government will be;

The Deputy Prime Minister, the Hon Barnaby Joyce
The Department of Infrastructure and Transport, the Hon Darren Chester
The Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Jeff Boyd.

For too long, the Australian aviation industry has been disenfranchised the right to economic prosperity through failed policy and excess regulation and compliance costs. We are an industry failed by political rhetoric and empty promises by the Labor, Liberal and The Nationals alike.

Our industry has been pushed to the wall, lives destroyed, families broken, retirements ruined and homes lost.

A prosperous future for aviation in this country can only be assured through a regulatory framework that is balanced, fair and representative of the needs and aspirations of industry itself. Most importantly, it must be accountable to industry, the people it is there to serve.

I am calling on each and every aviation participant that cares for this industry to show their support and attend. We can no longer afford to sit back and watch the destruction of our industry. Stand with us as we call on government to take action.

Help send Canberra a clear message

Show your support. Fly in or drive in. Contact your aviation networks, email, sms, phone. Lets send the government a clear message, that enough is enough.

Thank you for your support, and I look forward to seeing you all at the event.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.

RALLY COMMENCES AT 1PM, 6TH MAY 2016
HANGAR 6, TAMWORTH AIRPORT

EVENT SCHEDULE

1pm - Arrival

1pm-2pm - FREE BBQ lunch and drinks - Sponsored by Aviation Advertiser & AOPA

2pm - Government representatives arrive

2pm-2:30pm - Closed door meeting between Government and Industry Associations

2:30pm-3pm - Short presentation to rally from industry representatives

2:30pm-4pm - Open Q&A between rally attendees and government

4pm-6pm - Tamworth AeroClub Post Event Drinks

Creepy Beard
26th Apr 2016, 08:16
I don't mean to be rude but as per your last event can you actually expect a reasonable turnout on a weekday and at relatively short notice?

gerry111
26th Apr 2016, 08:48
I really wish you much success, Benjamin.

But sadly, I think that Barnaby will attend and say all the right things. After all, he is fighting to retain his seat at the upcoming election.

And after the election, nothing will change.

I recently re-read Bill Pike's: "Open letter to Mr John Anderson" in the Jan/ Feb 2003 AOPA magazine. He was fairly passionate then regarding CASA. But thirteen years later, nothing has improved. Quite the opposite in fact.

Dick Smith
26th Apr 2016, 09:59
Gerry. Can you re publish it here?

aviationadvertiser
26th Apr 2016, 13:30
Regarding the timing of the event, it was confirmed only a couple of days ago, that the Deputy PM, Minister for Infrastructure & Transport, and the Chairman of CASA would be available on the Friday 6th May 2016 in Tamworth. Given they are now in the election cycle, we take what we can get. So it's happening in one week, Friday 6th May 2016 from 1pm.

I along with many others am giving up my time to be there - demanding that our industry be heard. I call on each and everyone of you to show your support and stand with us. We have an opportunity here to set the stage for change. Come along, engage with your representatives, and support the call for change.

If you genuinely want a future for small to medium sized aviation in Australia, then we are going to have to fight for it. We can no longer arm-chair debate the issues. We must stand up and be seen and heard.

gerry111
26th Apr 2016, 14:34
I could, Dick but it's pretty lengthy..

"Dear Minister,

There are a number of matters that are presently of great concern to us, and I beg your indulgence while I bring them to your attention.

I was appalled recently when discussing the examinations process with a very senior member of the section writing the rules to hear him say, to my horror, in response to my plea that the system be more simplified like that in the United States: "you wouldn't want anything that easy out here would you"?

Minister, that IS what I want! Flying a Cessna 172 between two properties in the Outback is not rocket science: There is little reason to be required to know the difference between stoichiometric ratio and the saturated adiabatic lapse rate to safely perform this task. CASA just loves hurdles, (such as AOC's for example) and I believe that our examination system is more in the nature of a hurdle than performing any useful task.

Our exams system has been put in the hands of a monopolistic private body, and one operating for profit. Any person wishing to become a pilot pays its rates, which are many times those applicable tin the United States. This is a dreadful state of affairs. Who in CASA authorised this? Were tenders called? It is surely appalling that the pilot licence exams should have been gifted to a monopolistic private body, operating purely for profit, which has resulted in the exclusion of all flying training organisations from supervising commercial and ATPL exams.

The exorbitant rates charged are mandatory - the hopeful pilot has no choices available. Even the private pilot is forced into this uncompetitive system, where price-fixing is irrelevant, because there is untrammelled authority in the monopoly to set whatever rates it chooses.

What is wrong with the many highly-qualified training organisations throughout Australia having the right to compete with the private provider, as occurs in the rest of the commercial world?

On another note, I understand that your department proposes to allow councils to redevelop ex-Commonwealth airfields given them under the ALOP scheme some years ago, (accompanied by a grant as I remember) into non-aviation activities.

This would be a sad day for aviation. One only has to observe the residential development permitted under the arrival and departure ends of runways to see how irresponsible some councils can be in aviation matters. Many councils are very responsible, but each airport would require only one anti-aviation or even corrupt council to see that airport turned into windfall profits at the expense of aviation, and so be lost forever.

Developers are always lurking, and their power is great. Councils must not have such temptations put their way.

AOPA suggests that where councils wish to reduce the burden they claim the airport is to them, (and in my opinion it is the inefficient way that councils administer the airport that is often the problem,) local aviation bodies should be asked for expressions of interest to run the airport for the benefit of aviation.

I emphasise that I'm not asking for them to be privatised. AOPA would be happy to work with your Department to achieve and administer such a scheme. Anything would be better than thrusting the possibility of windfall profits under the nose of some councils."

That is only a small part of Bill Pike's letter. I'm getting sore fingers typing it. And thirsty. But, Dick if you are prepared to send me a slab of Coopers Pale Ale, then I'll provide the rest...

aviationadvertiser
27th Apr 2016, 13:38
Things are heating up for the Rally... Looks like there will be strong attendance by a range of industry leadership.

gerry111
27th Apr 2016, 16:09
Ben, All good if that is so.

But please don't get too carried away with any exaggeration that cannot be supported by facts. (And also remember that there is a Federal election just around the corner.)

So what do you realistically expect to achieve?

Perhaps always be aware of those who may attempt to stroke your ego and possibly duchess you accordingly??

(Dick, I do prefer not to be mercenary but my offer of the slab of Coopers Pale Ale is still available to you..)

aviationadvertiser
28th Apr 2016, 01:02
Absolutely correct - the federal election is now here...

As such, the issues that are negatively impacting our industry need addressing. At just about every level, the CASA regulatory framework is damaging small to medium sized aviation enterprise.

What needs to be changed? The entire platform.

Horatio Leafblower
28th Apr 2016, 03:09
It is the small Australian family-owned businesses that will service the National Party's key constituents.

...and it is small Australian family-owned businesses that are damaged by European-style over-regulation.

If the Government is serious about "innovation" and regional development (and we know Malcolm Turnbull loves his cities and his busses, trains and trams) they need to examine the system to achieve the policy outcomes.

Lead Balloon
28th Apr 2016, 04:34
More power to your arm, Ben.

Some paradigm issues that I suggest you take into consideration in your strategic thinking, so that any momentum you build and effort you are making are focussed where it may have some chance of having some effect.

The practical reality is that while ever the Coalition and Labour effectively take turns in government, they both win every election. Each 'side' merely takes its turn to feast on the treasure of the body politic.

These days, the job of the bureaucracy is to protect the relevant minister. Whether that happens to result in something that's in the public interest is a matter of mere coincidence. The bureaucracy is effectively now a support system for the political advisers for the ministers who come and go, no matter to what party they happen to belong. The political advisers decide whether the minister is happy or sad, and that determines whether the bureaucrats keep their jobs.

Both 'sides' effectively abdicated their responsibility for the aviation industry to the bureaucracy a couple of decades or so ago. This makes ministers and their advisers happy, because they can disclaim responsibility for aviation regulation on a bi-partisan and 'public interest' basis. That's why the bureaucracy proceeded to build (and continues to build) the enormous, complex mess that is the aviation regulatory system. My view is that it is now impossible for anyone to work out what the amalgamation of the Civil Aviation Act, 1988 regulations, 1998 regulations, Civil Aviation Orders, Manuals of Standards, Directions, Determinations and, most importantly, exemptions, actually means as a matter of practicality. It's now mainly a life support system for all the people who build and continue to build on the mess: The bigger the mess, the longer it will take them to clean it up (on six figure salaries, year after year).

Some of them seriously believe they are making a positive contribution to safety. Many of the people in AVMED would fall into this category.

This abdication is also the explanation for why nothing changes despite all of the matters identified by Senate Committees and inquiries and reviews and coronials etc. Witness all those Senate enquiries that don't result in the Senators walking into the Senate and voting to give effect to the strong opinions expressed during Committee hearings. It's just pantomime.

Short point for you: Don't bother wasting energy on the tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber. The only glimmer of hope for GA lies in the laps of independents like Nick X.

Therefore, I'd suggest it would be very worthwhile finding out whether Tony Windsor has any knowledge of the plight of GA, any sympathy for the plight of GA and any inclination to use his vote to support change to improve the lot of GA. If the answer to each of those questions is 'no', meeting with and talking to Chester, Joyce and Windsor is - in my opinion based on the observation of the similar circumstances have arisen with depressing regularity over the last couple of decades and more - a complete waste of your and everyone else's time and energy. Focus has to be on the people who are actually prepared to legislate for change.

Sunfish
28th Apr 2016, 05:40
leady - completely correct. The only way to fix the mess is to break up CASA and start again with a clean slate, a new act and new people. It is not possible to fix this mess while remaining inside the system.

Checklist Charlie
28th Apr 2016, 07:44
And don't forget to get rid of the puppet master Departmental "Secretary"

CC

aviationadvertiser
29th Apr 2016, 05:29
A prosperous future for aviation in this country can only be assured through a regulatory framework that is balanced, fair and representative of the needs and aspirations of industry itself. Most importantly, it must be accountable to industry, the people it is there to serve.

Its really that simple.

Lead Balloon
29th Apr 2016, 09:40

Its really that simple.Ooooh .... how do I break this gently....

It's not that simple. The regulatory framework is not there to serve the industry.

The regulatory framework is there to protect the public from the dangerous anarchy that would break out if the industry did not have the wise but firm straightjacket imposed on it by the experts in CASA.

But for the regulatory framework created by the masterpiece comprising the Civil Aviation Act, 1988 regulations, 1998 regulations, Civil Aviation Orders, Manuals of Standards, Directions, Determinations and exemptions, and all those wise people in CASA, you know full well that you would go wild and start doing stupidly dangerous things.

The wise but firm straightjacket is for your own, and the public's, good. Surely you feel safer as a consequence of Part 61 and are gagging at the prospect of the tsunami of safety that will happen under Parts 142/145?

aviationadvertiser
2nd May 2016, 05:02
Thanks Lead Balloon - food for thought I am sure - Nothing will work in aviation until such time that the regulator is accountable to industry - period. Only when the regulator is held to account, will balanced and sensible regulation be delivered.

I say again...

Maybe we all need to be reminded that the Safety Regulator is there, elected by the people, for the people...

Its 2016, not 1947. If we are indeed in the ideas boom and Australia is positioning itself for the next 50 years of economic growth and prosperity - then its time we took a good long look at our regulatory framework and how it plays the lead role in advancing aviation and encouraging investment and development.

Or.... we do nothing - and argue from the sidelines. Stick it out with what we have and watch an entire industry collapse around us.

Lead Balloon
2nd May 2016, 11:04
Again, more power to your arm, Ben.

I earnestly hope you use that power to the best advantage.

My long experience and observation leads me to believe that using any power you might have to best advantage will not involve appeals to or correspondence with the Coalition or Labor. As those crusty old rockers The Who said: I won't be fooled again...

rutan around
2nd May 2016, 21:48
Has Tony Windsor been invited to this rally? I reckon he would talk more sense than the other 3 combined. Also it would be useful if he was made aware of all the problems faced by GA. Especially useful if he ends up holding the balance of power after this election.

Horatio Leafblower
3rd May 2016, 01:14
Spoke to Tony W last night and yes he is coming.

Not sure what his position is on aviation, really, but the track record of the Nationals as Transport Ministers indicates a complete lack of testicular fortitude in the aviation department.

Hempy
3rd May 2016, 01:38
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/anderson.jpg

aviationadvertiser
3rd May 2016, 09:17
What a priceless photo!

Vag277
3rd May 2016, 10:21
Has anyone done a market study to establish why fred public/businesses are not using GA for transport or why people are not undertaking training? Is there any economic analysis to show cost breakdowns for GA businesses or aircraft operating costs? BITRE did such a study in 1995 when industry were blaming FAC charges and CAA cost recovery. In reality, based on data provided by GA organisations, those costs represented about 5%.. We need an update so that decisions and action are data/fact based. Report is at bitre.gov.au/publications/1996/report.
Research Report 95.

Sunfish
3rd May 2016, 21:13
Vag: fred public/businesses are not using GA for transport or why people are not undertaking training?

How about the fact that an ignorant media regards everything smaller than a B737 as some sort of death trap?

How about the fact that I spent $1000.00 for about three hours of dual in a C172 for some refresher training?

How about the fact that light aircraft are banned from national parks?

How about the fact that the tourist industry and CASA actively discourage air tourism or community based air activities like Angel Flight?

How about the fact that almost all local councils want aerodromes for property development and actively work to prevent aviation businesses from expanding?

How about the fact that Australians regard aviators as silvertails who deserve no consideration?

How about the fact that Airservices, Airlines and the RAAF regard GA aircraft as "air pollution"?

How about the fact that pilots are up for a $250 ASIC check every Two years? And the medical? And the flight review?

How about the fact that pilots face criminal charges if they breach a huge set of incomprehensible, draconian and nonsensical regulations that are administered by an ignorant, capricious, vindictive and corrupt regulator?

….and how about the fact that nobody in Canberra gives a flying **** about GA?

If I knew all this when I started, I would have bought a bigger boat instead.

To put all that another way, if the Federal treasurer had announced a $1000 annual tax on each aircraft in last nights budget speech, there would have been loud applause from all sides of Parliament (especially the Greens) and the media would accept the move without criticism on Wednesday morning.

Jabawocky
3rd May 2016, 21:36
Ben
Maybe we all need to be reminded that the Safety Regulator is there, elected by the people, for the people...

You are forgetting something…..this is Australia. :=

We bring government and enterprise stifling to world record highs.

Sunny……GOLD. :ok: Unfortunately you are not wrong either.

Dick Smith
3rd May 2016, 23:30
Sunfish. You are correct. Get into boating.

I have not changed my view. That is get out of aviation now if you run a business otherwise even more will be lost.

I don't see any light on the horizon .

I would say another 5 to 10 years of CASA destructive cost increases before major change happens.

Such a sad and unnecessary loss for an industry I love.

aviationadvertiser
4th May 2016, 04:55
This past week I have received enormous feedback and support from across the industry, with many leading organisations and individuals confirming they will be in attendance - Friday 6th May, Hangar 6, Tamworth Regional Airport.

What is absolutely clear is that our industry is fed up with the ignorance and inaction of both sides of government. We have been failed at every level possible. The industry has been bullied and intimidated into accepting a broken, disjointed and expensive regulatory framework. One that has systematically eroded our rights and destroyed an industry.

Australias leading associations and peak bodies have clearly communicated the warnings and dire predictions for two decades, yet government has done nothing.

Our safety regulator today, is just another Super Seasprite calamity. Hundreds of millions of dollars of tax payers money, wasted on a system which is being patched and cobbled together and will never fly.

hiwaytohell
4th May 2016, 06:44
Good on you Ben

Even when CASA was on the right path (yes there were pockets of progress in the times of Leroy Keith & Bruce Byron) it was white-anted by vested interests inside and outside of CASA, and then totally stuffed over by the Office of Legal Counsel.

aviationadvertiser
4th May 2016, 20:39
Let's hope they're listening..

LeadSled
4th May 2016, 22:19
Even when CASA was on the right path (yes there were pockets of progress in the times of Leroy Keith & Bruce Byron) it was white-anted by vested interests inside and outside of CASA, and then totally stuffed over by the Office of Legal Counsel.

Highwaytohell,
Ain't that the truth, CASA's (and its predecessors) "Iron Ring" would make a great study for some academic -- morally ( and sometimes ???) bankrupt. Public administration, where the best interests of the nation,the public or the industry hardly rate consideration, and "Government" policy is a minor irritant that can be safely disregarded.
All under the impenetrable cloak of that "motherhood" to end all motherhood cover, "Aviation Safety".
Tootle pip!!

Tootle pip!!

glenb
4th May 2016, 22:20
Gidday folks, getting my way up there OK but looking for a cost share flight on the way home to Melbourne on Friday night. PM me if you can assist. Cheers. Glen

aviationadvertiser
5th May 2016, 00:42
INDUSTRY CALLS ON GOVERNMENT TO END THE
DESTRUCTION OF GENERAL AVIATION IN AUSTRALIA.

TAMWORTH REGIONAL AIRPORT, HANGAR 6 - FRIDAY 6TH MAY 2016 - From 1pm

The general aviation industry’s leading associations and personalities, will rally at Tamworth Regional Airport, this Friday, 6th May from 1pm. Calling on the government to take immediate measures to end the regulatory nightmare that is destroying Australia's general aviation flight training, charter and maintenance businesses.

The Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Jeff Boyd

Small to medium sized aviation businesses across Australia are being forced into closure through excessive regulatory costs - imposed by the Minister for Infrastructure and Transport and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Throughout the past 25 years, the industry’s leading associations and peak bodies have furnished the successive Ministers and Civil Aviation Safety Authority management with dire warnings, clearly demonstrating the damage being inflicted on industry through excessive and expensive regulation.

All efforts by industry to date have been blatantly ignored.

The general aviation industry has been bullied and intimidated by CASA into accepting a flawed and expensive european EASA regulatory framework which is totally unsuitable and incompatible for Australia’s general aviation needs and future.

CASA’s decision to implement the european EASA platform over that of the United States FAA system has been totally unsupported by the general aviation industry and has increased regulatory compliance costs to unaffordable levels. It has made Australian general aviation uncompetitive globally and is forcing flight training, maintenance and charter businesses into closure.

CASA has demonstrated that it is unable to make the right decision for Australia’s general aviation future. CASA are ignoring the qualified consensus of industry.

The general aviation industry stands firm, calling on the Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister for Infrastructure and Transport to direct the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to immediately discontinue the EASA regulatory implementation and to accept the qualified consensus of industry to harmonise with the Federal Aviation Administration regulatory platform of the United States - the worlds largest and most successful general aviation economy.

We now call on the Liberal/National Government to bring and end to this dark chapter and to re-position Australia’s general aviation industry, to create jobs, growth and opportunity.

Best regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.

aroa
5th May 2016, 02:55
As we all have seen over the past 25 years, ANYTHING can be done in the name of "safety", the holiest grail for top tossers in NON Aviation House to collect the blood of the GA, destroying individuals, businesses and the whole damn industry. :mad::mad:

Please tell those 'higher ups' that show, that CAsA is colossaly expensive and IRRELEVANT. Way past time for GA that has reached its limit of patience,to either get the demanded changes (FAA or NZ)or ignore the rotten place once and for all.

My PHD thesis subject will be.."Witchcraft and Voodooism in CAsA Customary Regulation with a view to Destroying General Aviation."

Among the many internal subjects will be the CAsA Code of Conduct ( big joke) Staff quality, illegalities undertaken, allowed by and protected by the senior management (sic) and bureaucratic systems.:mad:
And these are just the funny pages.

Hopefully by the time this opus is completed it will be of historical significance only. CAsA will have been totally shredded, and a new Aviation division of DOIT, staffed with people with an interest in and knowledge of aviation, AND GA so there WILL be a future for GA. :ok:

What else is there.? Anarchy??

cogwheel
5th May 2016, 05:07
Aroa........Hear hear!!:D

Ultralights
5th May 2016, 14:54
There is an election coming up..

The Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Mr Jeff Boyd
I seriously doubt any of these people will give any kind of **** about what happens and is said in Tamworth.

aviationadvertiser
5th May 2016, 21:31
If that's the case, let them be seen as such.

Jabawocky
6th May 2016, 04:55
Even if they are seen as such, and 100% of the attendees are 100% passionate of showing it at the ballot box, nothing will change.

I used to think they listened………

The only thing that gets there attention is when they get 30+ emails, letters, phone calls and face to face visit requests PER DAY on the same topic for several weeks or months. Only then will they chat among their colleagues and ask are you getting all this noise? If the answer from several of them is yes, they start listening.

If all each MP gets is a few folk at a meeting, they nod and smile and say yes we will take that on board.

There are not enough people employed/participate in aviation in Australia to be noticed. Not enough in TOTAL, let alone active enough to demand attention.

Sadly to think otherwise is delusional and once I was.

MakeItHappenCaptain
6th May 2016, 04:59
From Jeff Boyd regarding CIR prof checks, "We will be changing the rules in the next few weeks so that multiples checks on different types are not required."
On ADSB, "I was always against ADSB as deputy chair, but now that it's in place, we can't just roll it back, it has to be unpicked. We will issue exemptions for aircraft that need not yet existing technical developments if you approach me."
Aminta Hennesy brings up good points on price gouging by airport real estate greed, cost of ADSB, ridiculous maintenance requirements (new aircraft needing cables changed every six years), ambiguity on Part 61 rules, Part 141/142 complexity.

no_one
6th May 2016, 08:01
Anything come out of the meeting?

The name is Porter
6th May 2016, 12:04
Having attended the gathering, one thing struck me. The age of the attendees. No disrespect but if this is representative of aviation in this country then we're in more trouble than I thought.

Chester and Joyce were like deer caught in headlights, at least Joyce didn't pretend he knew any answers.

Jeff Boyd, to his credit answered the hard questions, I like what I heard from this bloke BUT it beggars belief that a board or a minister or deputy prime minister CANNOT direct a rouge DAS in desperate times. Whatever it takes Jeff, this has to change.

Jeff mentioned that the board was looking to align Part 61 with kiwi regs, he mentioned that there were multiple exemptions in the pipeline and changes to Part 61.

I want the mongrels who imposed this disaster on us held to account. Aminta's question on NVFR was typical of the last 12-18 months of this ****pile, CASA FOI's still unable to answer questions on their own regs, but still, the idiots who caused this disaster are not held to account.

cogwheel
6th May 2016, 12:07
Some more comment would be good. Who else said what?

zanthrus
6th May 2016, 12:27
How about just ignore the Part 61 ****pile and just fly as we used to? F#ck em! Idiots.:mad:
The dickheads can't prosecute everyone.

PLovett
6th May 2016, 13:48
Jeff Boyd, to his credit answered the hard questions, I like what I heard from this bloke BUT it beggars belief that a board or a minister or deputy prime minister CANNOT direct a rouge DAS in desperate times. Whatever it takes Jeff, this has to change.

Look at the legislation. The Board and Minister can only advise, not direct. It was set up that way so the Minister can avoid any blame for a smoking hole in the ground. It is a continuing theme in Australian politics where the executive seeks to avoid any responsibility for blame while they continue to push their snouts ever deeper into the trough.

Ultralights
6th May 2016, 14:16
The age of the attendees. No disrespect but if this is representative of aviation in this country
This. I, and many other younger attendees at Narromine for Ausfly noticed the same thing, and sadly, the younger generation, and that being my age group, middle aged, is all that will be left, so from this point now, it wont be long before the industry is about 75% smaller, and after people my age (40's) get to old to hold a medical, who will be left? i guess it will be up to my generation to turn the light off in the hangar for the last time.

thorn bird
6th May 2016, 21:42
Ultra,
you hit the nail on the head, where are the up and comings?
Way back when, my local aeroclub had monthly club days, families would make a day of it, playground available for the kids, barbie in the afternoon. There were also regular fly aways.
Flying unfortunately is just not fun anymore, its become a highly stressful, very complicated to get into and very expensive exercise, there are far easier to access and inexpensive things for young people to get their thrills.
Overregulation, an overbearing regulator, and placing profit orientated development sharks in control of our airports has made aviation so "safe" its unaffordable.
The point of the airports act was to reserve land for present and future aviation use, yet at every turn that principle has been eroded in pursuit of the holy dollar.
The "user pays principle" so vigorously applied to the aviation industry could also be applied to other public utilities. I'm sure McBank would love to get hold of our national Parks for example and turn them into tax free cash cows, all for the public good of course.
Take a tour round a few country airports in the USA and see the level of activity that proper regulations can do, and they achieve better safety outcomes than us.
Twenty five years or more and half a billion dollars to half finish a regulatory suite, that is gobbledegook, and is decimating the industry.
Whats the point of expending another half billion and another 25 years to finish them if there's not going to be an industry left to regulate?
The bloke who famously said if he had his way the only aviation in Australia would be the RAAF and RPT.
He's still there at fort fumble, so are the people who oversaw Part 61.
The solution is so simple, for a few million dollars Australia could adopt Kiwi regulations, the industry could get on with it, generating jobs, producing innovative exportable products and making a huge contribution to our GDP. The Kiwis showed the way, aviation is now their third biggest contributor to their GDP.

Sunfish
6th May 2016, 21:57
Thorn Bird:

Take a tour round a few country airports in the USA and see the level of activity that proper regulations can do,

You don't even have to go to the USA, visit NZ! Every little Country airport seems to ha ve at least one turbine chopper sitting there and the day we went to Milford Sound the sightseeing aircraft were as thick as blowflies around a cow pat.

Just look at the NZ videos on youtube, guys landing on beaches, river banks and mountain ridges - do any of that in Australia and you will get arrested.

thorn bird
6th May 2016, 21:58
Ah but Sunny, they had enough sense to align with US regulations.

mcgrath50
6th May 2016, 22:26
Ultra,
you hit the nail on the head, where are the up and comings?

You may have seen a lot of discussion about housing affordability for the younger generation. Now whether you believe the young can't afford a house because of the market or because of their laziness/spending/love of lattes, it either way translates to certainly not having enough for flying lessons, particularly for those who aren't "investing" in their career.

I can only think of one person my age who took up flying so it could become a hobby not a career, and he, due to some atypical IT skills, had a salary at 20, most 40 year olds would be quite happy with!

glenb
6th May 2016, 23:21
Firstly, a pat on the back to Ben for arranging it. The young fella did a bloody good job.

Regarding our Chairman. First chance I've had to actually see him engage with Industry. Wow! If you sat that bloke in a room and made him talk to 10 Businesses one on one for 45 minutes each, you would have him in tears. You could see his pain yesterday. He really really does get it. I'm not suggesting he will achieve everything, but treat him with the respect he is entitled to, so he sticks it out, and we will be our best hope.

Regarding the age. It was terrifying. At 50, I felt like I was underage in an over 30s night. As a flying school owner with a commercial interest. I realised that a whole generation has been lost. Our challenge is greater than trying to sustain an Industry, its actually about reinventing it. Not sure if the generation will be around to do it. With regard to the "oldies". Thanks fellas, a heap of experience, wisdom and passion still. You really are the generation. You just cant knock it out of them. Nothing less than inspiring.

Regarding the Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, having little concept. Its true, but I get it. They each have a very broad range of responsibilities and many sub issues within each responsibility. It was an eye opening experience and I realised the importance of clear, and concise communications with them. Their job is the "big picture" stuff. Without any doubt, I realised that we really need people within CASA actually effecting the change. There are so many issues that its actually overwhelming for a politician.

Regarding ADSB. I think common sense will prevail here, I really do.

At the function, a lady by the name of Kirralie Smith from the Australian Liberty Alliance introduced herself. It was obvious they were passionate about Small Business, reduced Regulatory Burden and a number of issues that most "Australian Minded" people from all backgrounds would identify with. She corrected my perception of them being anti Muslim and explained it was more about halting "Government Induced Islamification into our way of life" . My words, not hers. I viewed their Website last night, and they are seeking assistance developing an Aviation Policy. If anyone thinks that they empathise enough with their views, and is happy to help them develop an Aviation Policy, im sure they would be keen.

Have to shoot off for the kids sports run again but will jot down some further thoughts from yesterdays gathering. Cheers. Glen.

advo-cate
7th May 2016, 00:12
Great job Ben, and good seeing people on the "same page".

A useful read is Paul Phelan, to remind us of how we have got to this point and Pollies taking their eye off the ball. (http://proaviation.com.au/2013/04/06/to-hell-with-the-rules/)

The story is gradually being picked up around Australia:

Media pickups and stories (http://wp.me/p36nTu-1Xf)

Flying Binghi
7th May 2016, 01:21
glenb, ALA, they might be on to something...

"...Paul Zanetti spots the political movement shifting through the web but unnoticed by the media:

Has anyone else noticed there’s a political movement underway in Australia that much of the media isn’t quite plugged into yet?

In the reader comments section of every news site, every blog, every social media post after every terror attack, every Delcon opinion post, Turnbull poll piece, Shorten policy announcement, mosque story and debt and deficit update you’ll pick up the mood swing.

“I’ve had enough of the Libs, I’m voting ALA.”

“I’ve been a Liberal Party member and volunteer all my life. No more. It’s ALA for me.”

And on and on it goes. Every day. White. Hot. Anger.

Insiders within the ALA hierarchy tell me they will likely have 10 Senate candidates for the July 2 election, and are presently screening multiple candidates for the lower house.Queensland is most advanced in the lower house pre-selection process, with an army of volunteers working on the ground in branches throughout the state.
As the Liberal Party lurches further to the left ALA is positioning itself as the alternative conservative party. They will likely be to the Liberals what the Greens are to Labor. Many experienced, valuable volunteers have jumped ship from the National and Liberal parties..."

Delcons: Might be a million votes that don?t matter « JoNova (http://joannenova.com.au/2016/05/delcons-might-be-a-million-votes-that-dont-matter/#more-48679)

Sunfish
7th May 2016, 20:58
You can all go home now…..

To be blunt, this exercise is like peeing in a wetsuit: you get a nice warm feeling but nobody else knows.

UNLESS this event is the start of concerted and continuous industry action to break up CASA and reform the Act, regulations and enforcement.

aviationadvertiser
7th May 2016, 21:50
Sunfish, you have nailed the key point. That said, I can assure you that the process has started and will continue until we get the necessary result.

Squawk7700
7th May 2016, 21:59
You can all go home now…..

To be blunt, this exercise is like peeing in a wetsuit: you get a nice warm feeling but nobody else knows.

Sunfish, Try and show some respect for Benjamin and what he is doing for aviation in this country. I can only imagine that he has spent a significant many thousands of dollars on this at this own expense for YOU and your fellow pilots.

I commend Benjamin on his actions and commitment, as these types of actions are not only stressful, but expensive and time consuming. I wouldn't be at all surprised if certain individuals have made threats too; people get very emotional when their jobs are on the line. This isn't something that your average man signs up for.

PLovett
8th May 2016, 00:15
Sunnie is absolutely correct. The issue has to become one of a public concern and there is the rub. I would have thought the Foreign Correspondent report on the Air Asia X crash might have caused an interest given the crash aircraft had flown here 78 times with the fault, but no, nothing. Cheap fares are everything.

As an aside I was appalled at the comment from our regulator that thankfully no Australians died in the crash. Imperialism dies hard.

Sunfish
8th May 2016, 00:45
Squawk7700, you consistently misrepresent my postings. For the record, more power to Benjamin and Aviationadvertiser! My point is that if everyone now goes home with a nice warm feeling about having vented at the rally, nothing will be achieved. That is what CASA and the politicians are counting on - your inertia.

What has to happen now is to capitalise on the little bit of momentum that has been generated and keep pushing the reform wagon harder....and exactly how to do that this morning escapes me.....

Lead Balloon
8th May 2016, 00:58
Vote for candidates who aren't aligned with the major parties. There's a slim chance that non-aligned members of parliament might use their vote for the public good, rather than for the good of people who own the major parties.

rutan around
8th May 2016, 05:16
What has to happen now is to capitalise on the little bit of momentum that has been generated and keep pushing the reform wagon harder....and exactly how to do that this morning escapes me..... After a great night in the Tamworth Aero Club (an aero club most other Australian towns can only dream about) I've also been racking my brain about how to keep up the momentum.

Perhaps a series of meetings in the most marginal seats involving first one party and at the next meeting the other main party. Marginal seats tend to concentrate politicians minds.

If we can worry them maybe something will be done. The aspiring candidates should be invited to those meetings.

Flying Binghi
8th May 2016, 05:36
Wouldn't waste your time with the libs. Untill they have cleaned out the turnBull corruption they are a liability..:hmm:

neville_nobody
8th May 2016, 06:16
Having attended the gathering, one thing struck me. The age of the attendees. No disrespect but if this is representative of aviation in this country then we're in more trouble than I thought.

Fact is the cost of entry into the industry is way to high. As a hobby it is unaffordable, as a career it's way to risky for the money invested. If you took $100k and looked at what eductaional opportunities are available to you aviation does not stack up very well.

Second to that aviation is archaic. There is very little technological uptake due to the ridiculous regulation. Let's be honest new motor cars are more comfortable than any light aircraft at a fraction of the cost. It's not till you get into a corporate King Air or Jet do you actually get anything resembling modern comfort. Aviation was at the cutting edge in about 1930 and that's where it stayed.

jas24zzk
9th May 2016, 08:33
That Kirralie Smith is no 'tard. I wonder how she would react to having someone walk in and dumping on her desk the whole set of documents (in paper form) that a pilot has to have to comply with (even a private pilot flying his family...same set yer)

Maybe even other pollies...wake them up.

Sandy Reith
10th May 2016, 07:10
Age of participants at Tamworth was my first thought, being in my 70s, induces the thought that younger aviators have little idea of what a buzz it used to be. A growing, thriving element of quintessential Australian life. A careful Google Earth study of some more out of the way but popular destinations, even now, will reveal many abandoned airstrips. As an airport and aircraft owner with flying school, charters and RPT I started writing to my my MP, about 30 years ago, how government, i.e. CAA /CASA was going to throttle GA. Now it's worse and much worse.
In regard to costs, most of the extra costs, be it airport rents or CASA and ASA fees and charges can be sheeted home to Can'tberra 'user pays', user pays for what ever we make the user use. Fees for all sorts of totally unnecessary procedures and permits. ASICs, AVMED and its discredited aviation medicals now shown by surveys, as in the US, to be a waste of time. Good enough car driver standard for RAAus, good enough to delete aviation medicals for nearly all flying in the US. But here in Bureacratalia? No, no no, 400,000 Can'tberrans must be fed and paid homage.
We are a far more affluent society than we were in the 60s and 70s, GA can be an industry many times grown, there's just enough left of GA to build upon if we can persuade our Parliament to remove the chocks and tie downs.
We need more meetings, SY first being the most central and easiest to get to. Hats off to Ben, but we can do better, more media, show the unity by introducing the industry group leaders. Get all groups to back a simple message. CASA to be replaced with a Civil Aviation Division under Transport. Everything else follows, nothing will change unless there is a legislated model that works. The present independent model has failed by any measure.

aviationadvertiser
10th May 2016, 23:55
14th April 2016

The Hon Barnaby Joyce
Deputy Prime Minister & Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

The Hon Darren Chester MP
Minister for Infrastructure and Transport
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia.

Mr Jeff Boyd
Chairman of the Board, Civil Aviation Safety Authority
GPO Box 2005
Canberra ACT 2601

The 94,000+ Users of the Aviation Advertiser Network

Dear Ministers & Chairman,

FOLLOW UP RESPONSE – INVITATION TO MEET IN CANBERRA 24TH MAY 2016.

I would like to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to each of you with regard to your attendance at the Aviation Rally I organised on Friday 6th May 2016 at Tamworth Regional Airport. I understand that all of you are busy, and I do appreciate your taking the time for this important event.

Upfront, I would like to convey my sincere apology, with regard to the rushed commencement of proceedings, during which I did not clearly introduce the attending Ministers and Chairman appropriately. This was certainly not an intentional undertaking and I openly apologise if it has caused any offence. However I trust my mistake did not overshadow the value of the core message of the rally.

Over 400 persons were in attendance on Friday 6th May standing with the general aviation industry's leading associations and peak bodies. Many had driven and flown considerable distances, arriving from each state and territory of Australia, all undertaken at a considerable personal and business expense. Each participant a passionate supporter of aviation, desiring nothing more than a ‘fair go’ for general aviation in Australia. An industry calling on government to remove the unnecessary costs that excessive regulation imposes.

I would like to quote Mr Darren Chester MP, during his recent speech to Parliament, defending the jobs of truck owner-drivers; “Australians shouldn’t have to drive thousands of kilometres, spend thousands of dollars of their own money, to fight for their jobs. These are not paid protestors, these Australian mums and dads are passionate about their industry, passionate about the future of our nation.”.

For too long the aviation industry has been voiceless, unable to meaningfully engage with the political powers that hold direct control of the future of the general aviation industry. The rally signifies a shift for the industry, as it now seeks to actively elevate its concerns into the national debate.

Although at times heated, the rally highlighted the serious divide that exists between industry and government. It has also made clear the frustrations experienced by aviation users, unable to resolve the core issues which are damaging our general aviation industry.

From what you have each seen and heard first hand at Tamworth, the general aviation industry has declared a ‘no confidence’ position, with regard to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and its regulatory framework. Those in attendance have demonstrated that the industry can no longer endure the further inaction by the safety regulator. Thousands of aviation businesses and their employees are at risk, their futures uncertain as a result.

General aviation across Australia has been forced to accept a regulatory framework that is thoroughly incompatible with our industry, by a regulator who did not seek a consensus or mandate from its key stakeholder - the general aviation industry itself. Had an industry referendum taken place, Australia would be currently enjoying the benefits of the United States, Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR). This position is further supported by the recent submissions of both the AOPA Project Eureka and the TAAAF Policy Paper 2016.

CASA has continually ignored the qualified consensus and requests of its key stakeholders (the aviation industry) and has forced the implementation of a regulatory package which has been acknowledged worldwide as causing widespread general aviation destruction across Europe. All of which is well documented, publicly available and in plain sight.

Recently a number of senior EASA personnel have come forward, including Executive Director Mr Patrick Ky, openly acknowledging that the EASA platform is incompatible with general aviation. Communicating that its regulatory framework is ‘misguided' and that it 'must change its approach' or the destruction of general aviation will continue.

Our closest aviation partner, New Zealand (NZ), identified the EASA shortcomings early and reformed its aviation regulatory framework a number of years ago, harmonising to the US FAA FAR’s with the goal of reducing costs to industry. Subsequently, their general aviation industry have been given the tools and resources to develop and grow - now clearly leading Australia. The New Zealand aviation regulator completed its reform for a fraction of what has already been spent by CASA, which is still nowhere near completion.

Meanwhile, the Federal Aviation Administration of the United States continues to manage the world's most successful aviation economy, developing a diverse and profitable general aviation industry based on its progressive and supportive regulatory framework.

The EASA Executive Director’s acknowledgements are amplified by the comments by CASA Chairman, Mr Jeff Boyd, during the aviation rally stating that the framework was both a ‘cluster disaster’ and ‘unworkable’ for general aviation. Going further to state that CASA was simply applying ‘bandaids’ to the structural failures and inadequacies of the EASA regulatory framework.

The attendance and participation of the CASA Chairman was both appreciated and valued and I commend him for openly facing the industry. His concise and frank acknowledgements of the incompatibility of the regulatory framework were unambiguous and supportive of the industry’s qualified call to end the failed EASA experiment and to move to the US FAA FAR’s. However, his position on ADSB simply demonstrated the disjointed and broken chain of strategy and management within CASA.

At the risk of repeating myself, the situation with ADSB implementation in Australia is a clear example of the mismanagement to which the Australian aviation industry is being subjected. Rather than simply extend the compliance date from 2017 (three years ahead of the US) to 2021 to match New Zealand, the safety regulator is seeking to create further bureaucratic processes. Further increasing the excessive costs to industry by requiring aviation users to submit an individual ADSB exemption application. This position is absurd at best.

The economic impact on the general industry is significant (CASA’s estimate is approximately $30 million). As such, it is clear that forcing the Australian general aviation industry into compliance three (3) years ahead of the world's most successful aviation economy (the US) will limit the number of compliant aircraft significantly. Additionally, increasing the divide between the regulator and aviation users across Australia.

Industry firmly believes that CASA’s fixed stance on the ADSB compliance date demonstrates their clear inflexibility in applying fair policy and shows the regulator to be manifestly unreasonable towards the needs of industry. (See Section 1.2.1 CASA Governance Framework Manual).

If I could again quote Mr Darren Chester MP, during his recent speech to Parliament, defending the jobs of truck owner-drivers; “...this is a government responding to legitimate concerns of owner drivers throughout Australia, owner drivers, who right now fear they are being forced out of work, forced out of their industry, unable to make their family commitments… as someone who has come to this place without a great interest in party political games, and I'm not someone who gets involved in the political cut and thrust, I try to build consensus, I try to get things done within my community and work with either side wherever possible. But sometimes Mr Deputy Speaker, you have to pick a side. You just have to pick a side on an issue like this and as a regional MP as the Transport Minister I am proudly on the side of small business owners.”

Minister, the Australian general aviation industry is comprised of thousands of hard working men and women, largely involved in small business, and they are going under and need your support. These people are the 'truckies of the sky', asking for nothing more than what you fought for on behalf of driver-owners recently.

CASA as a result of implementing a failing EASA framework has virtually sunk our industry in excessive compliance requirements and costs that are designed for the airlines - not small business. If we continue with the status quo, CASA will certainly bankrupt Australia’s general aviation industry.

Therefore, the general aviation industry calls on the Minister to take the necessary steps to formally direct CASA to set aside the failed EASA experiment and for the regulator to adopt the world's most successful aviation regulatory framework - the United States Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) framework. A move which is supported by all of Australia’s general aviation industry associations, peak-bodies and leadership (see AOPA Project Eureka and TAAAF Aviation Policy 2016).

In doing so, you will be providing our industry the regulatory tools and resources it needs to recover, develop and succeed both within Australia and abroad. You will be ensuring the hard working men and women throughout aviation industry face a certain future.

With regard to the invitation made at the aviation rally to meet in Canberra on the 24th May 2016 to discuss the key issues. I would like to accept this invitation on behalf of the 94,000 users of the Aviation Advertiser network and will be accompanied by a delegation which represents Australia’s leading general aviation associations and peak-bodies.

For this meeting in Canberra to have value and to provide a productive outcome for the general aviation industry, I would like to suggest that we focus on establishing a pathway agreement, to which the industry can provide its support for the coalition at the 2nd July election. Additionally, I am respectfully requesting that Air Vice-Marshal Gary Beck AO (Retd) chair the meeting.

As you would appreciate, we have been approached by a number of political parties and representatives, with regard to seeking our endorsement and support. Team Nick Xenophon already releasing a clear position statement with regard to ADSB.

Now that the parliament has been dissolved, with the election called for 2nd July 2016, it is imperative that the general aviation industry be given an opportunity to understand the Liberal/National Coalition position and policy with regard to general aviation.

The general aviation industry will again rally in South Australia, with the event date to be announced shortly. Along with events in all other states of Australia.

Thank you again and I am looking forward to meeting in Canberra on the 24th May. I await your response.

Yours sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.

rjtjrt
11th May 2016, 00:06
Ben
Congratulations. That is a terrific letter.
You are doing a great job for the aviation industry - all power to you.

aroa
11th May 2016, 01:29
Onya Ben.!! Top work....and many thanks

Pleased to see another little caravan to Cantberra and other bigger venues..

mcgrath50
11th May 2016, 01:58
She corrected my perception of them being anti Muslim and explained it was more about halting "Government Induced Islamification into our way of life"

Well considering there is zero government induced Islamification I would argue they are anti muslim to be pushing that kind of BS.

As the Liberal Party lurches further to the left ALA is positioning itself as the alternative conservative party.

Errr have you seen the latest budget that embraced the highly discredited but popular conservative policy of supply side economics? Let alone their treatment of asylum seekers, failure to act on environmental issues, desire to have a witch hunt against unions but not banks and the list goes on. I'd say the Liberals are still occupying the area of "rightness" they have had for as long as I can remember.

LeadSled
11th May 2016, 02:09
Ben,
Well said.
As an additional comment, the Bureaucratalia CASR Part 145 is unrecognizable as EASA Part 145. Only the numbering system is "harmonised", the contents is entirely 100% "CASAised".
Byron's industry team's efforts in producing the lay drafts of CASR Part 145 bear absolutely not relation to the final outcome, as a result of the drafting instructions produced by CASA and sent to OLDP (before OPC took over). CASR Part 145 is entirely CASA's own work.
Don't blame "Government legislative policy", don't blame EASA, it is all down to the CASA "iron ring".
As a matter of interest, there is within CASA a complete "plain English" version of Part 145 that would largely fulfill the AMROBA demands that CASA comply with the Civil Aviation Act 1988, and establish Aviation Standards outside the criminal law.
Not everybody is CASA is a dud, at least one person was smart enough, and with the foresight, to realise that CASR Part 145 for GA would not work.
Tootle pip!!

Sandy Reith
11th May 2016, 05:38
There is now for the first time some real momentum thanks especially to Ben who has shown can be done with sufficient fortitude and reason.
The one other excellent outcome is the unity of the main GA groups. It has become now so clear, Jeff Boyd admitting publicly, as detailed in Ben's letter, that the rules are a mess. If you scripted or tried to explain the circumstances of CASA's waste and it's shocking treatment of individuals and the whole industry, including the airlines, Mr Average would be incredulous, hundreds of millions and 28 years.
We really need that unity, all egos and special interests, pet theories, sensible or not must now be put to one side.
Our message must be "change the Act" and we will not rest until we get a totally new dynamic from Government.
Ideally CASA be disbanded and folded into the Transport Ministry. Maybe a revamped Board with KPIs, a substantial reduction in CASA numbers and a biennial statement from Government on industry growth. Whatever happens the rusty old Iron Ring must be broken and buried for good.

Horatio Leafblower
11th May 2016, 05:56
OK - so- how do we get this out into the maintstream media so Mr Average can see this as an issue?

E&H
11th May 2016, 06:11
I looked up the CASA website and just happened to pick up the history of Part 91. It was first suggested in 1998. When I decided to see when it was promulgated I was amazed to see that it was still being worked on as of 2016. THat's 18 years. How about passing that onto the general public and your politicians. Must be some sort of a record for bureaucracy gone mad. As someone who has worked overseas for the last 7 years I am amazed to see how far CASA has gone to undo aviation in Australia...it is out of control and needs to be put back in it's place.

For those of you in business how do you cope/manage/budget for this type of uncertainty?

Sandy Reith
11th May 2016, 06:17
How about just ignore the Part 61 ****pile and just fly as we used to? F#ck em! Idiots.:mad:
The dickheads can't prosecute everyone.
There's lots of that done out in the bush where the chance of being caught is close to zero. With SIDs and cables and impossible medicals, not to mention biennials there will be a lot more free flying. Too bad that so many aircraft are now less likely to see a LAME than ever before. The costs for some have become more than their aircraft are worth. People do what they can within reason, we have suffered and watched an industry go down for no reason except to keep 830 @ average $139,000 in work. What a sick joke, stuff up the rules so badly that instead of fixing the whole lot we now have Mr. Skidmore's 'Tiger Team', his words believe it or not, all 26 working full time on a bunch of fixes, exemptions and alterations. Talk about make work, truly the worst public waste of money, you could not invent this disaster and be believed.

Sandy Reith
11th May 2016, 06:36
OK - so- how do we get this out into the maintstream media so Mr Average can see this as an issue?

More meetings in the major centres, support the main message and don't get bogged down with all the issues that will get fixed if we persuade Parliament to make change to the Act.

Meetings will be planned for maximum media exposure. Speakers will not run off with pet theories, but some of the speakers will succinctly, within time limits, detail the horrors and expense of dealing with CASA. One or two will give good examples of how CASA has debased safety. How common sense has gone out the window and the taxpayer has been ripped off. Easy enough, compare with NZ. Get some one with a left hand elevator off a Wilga and show it on stage (of course it doesn't have one but they tried to hang an offence on one of their victims with that lie and came off with mud in their eyes). We have our ways and means, the beatings might stop when our morale improves.

Sunfish
11th May 2016, 06:45
Excellent letter! Keep the momentum going!

Now is the time to pile it on!

If Mr. Boyds alleged comments at the Tamworth rally are accurately reported, then either Mr. Boyd or AVM. Skidmore is going to have to resign in my opinion. Because AVM. Skidmore, by resigning from AOPA and allegedly being intransigent on ADS-B, has hitched his wagon to the CASA status quo and Boyd appears to have said that CASA has a case to answer. They both can't be right.

My guess is that Mrdak and his minion Carmody are going to have to decide very shortly if CASA is worth supporting in its current form because the last thing politicians need is an angry pressure group of GA aviators approaching an election and if we do things right they will blame CASA for their electoral problems. What we need to do is promising to make the temperature hotter right up till election day!

Lead Balloon
11th May 2016, 08:07
Jeff Boyd is a straight talker and knows of what he talks. From an Article in Australian Aviation dated 7 December 2015:...
Boyd, who founded Brindabella Airlines and was also previously chairman of the Regional Aviation Association of Australia (RAAA), acknowledged the implementation of CASA’s Part 61 licensing regulations has been a “debacle”.
Boyd said the Part 61 regulations were written up without adequate communication from industry and he lobbied against their introduction before he joined the CASA board.

“I was very much involved in it not being brought out when I was on the industry side,” Boyd said.

“We knew Part 61 was never going to work. It got put in a drawer for 12 months and instead of being reworked and rejigged unfortunately the very last day that our previous CEO was in the organisation he promulgated Part 61 as it was 12 months previously.

“The results have been horrendous for the organisation and for industry. It’s a debacle.”

BPA
11th May 2016, 11:08
Message to the mainstream media should be along the lines that CASA (read government) are destroying an industry and not only will this lead to increase in unemployment, if nothing is done the likes of the RFDS / Air Ambulunce / Careflight etc will be in danger as there will be no left to maintain or fly these aircraft/ helicopters. The mainstream media will run headlines saying peoples lives (in particular in the outback ) are at risk due to the regulator/ government actions.

Horatio Leafblower
11th May 2016, 12:28
I always ponder what bull**** tokenistic response these issues might raise.

...just look at what public pressure over Uber has done for the Taxi industry :rolleyes:

rutan around
11th May 2016, 22:15
Message to the mainstream media should be along the lines that CASA (read government) are destroying an industry and not only will this lead to increase in unemployment, if nothing is done the likes of the RFDS / Air Ambulunce / Careflight etc will be in danger as there will be no left to maintain or fly these aircraft/ helicopters. The mainstream media will run headlines saying peoples lives (in particular in the outback ) are at risk due to the regulator/ government actions.If the above produces no result then refuse to carry politicians of all stripes on small planes to isolated places where there is no airline service. That should get media attention and certainly the pollies attention.

Recently a bunch of pollies wanted a charter out of Bundaberg and found to their consternation there wasn't a charter company. This in a town that has grown continuously over the years and once had a tower. Surely that should have been a wake up call.

The service refusal idea probably wouldn't work because there are too many Pinkys and Bings out there.

Sandy Reith
12th May 2016, 00:25
If the above produces no result then refuse to carry politicians of all stripes on small planes to isolated places where there is no airline service. That should get media attention and certainly the pollies attention.

Recently a bunch of pollies wanted a charter out of Bundaberg and found to their consternation there wasn't a charter company. This in a town that has grown continuously over the years and once had a tower. Surely that should have been a wake up call.

The service refusal idea probably wouldn't work because there are too many Pinkys and Bings out there.

Rutan around, I don't know about Pinkys and Bings. I do know that there are many out there who are trying to put food on the table to feed their families so we can't blame an individual for not carrying out your threat. There are others who would sell out of GA but their businesses are worth nothing.
Truth is we all have some fault if you you want to study history to inform the current debate. We all have basked in some flying glory and never really questioned the impositions, like special aviation medicals, which separated us from ordinary beings. Own up its just human nature. Like the notion that we are given 'privileges' with our licences, we forgot to be a free people with rights to pursue happiness. Everyone loves a privilege so we went along with this illusion, a concept that we are still lumbered with, leftover from the medieval stricture that the Crown has all rights and dispenses privileges to it's subjects. The Crown, in law, still owns all land in Australia which you are allowed to 'hold freely', hence power to big brother.
The USA overthrew these stultifying notions two hundred years ago, we need some of that burning ambition for freedom, not for personal gratification but for the prosperity of the nation.
The requirements for aviation medicals is an excellent case in point. There is no actual evidence for the safety of flight being enhanced, car driver medicals has been satisfactory for RAAus for twenty years, and for road users. The US has, recently, in spite of the vested interests of a powerful aviation medicine lobby, just about deleted the requirement for nearly all private flying.
What do we do? Support anyone who is trying for reform, put to your organisation that AOPA, AMROBA, TAAAF, RAAus, Ben Morgan are to be supported in the push for a new form of aviation regulation, deregulation with simple rules. Write, ring email MPs, media and get to meetings. We mean change to the Civil Aviation Act, a new model to replace the failed independent Commonwealth Corporate body of CASA. Enough, 830 average $139,000 pa working a 7 1/2 hour day not subject to the Public Service rules. Chairman Jeff Boyd tells us that the rules are a mess, after 28 years still not finished, Mark Skidmore's "Tiger Team", 26 employed on a make work program to fix what he said was a model rule set! There'd be gales of laughter if it wasn't killing an industry with taxpayer funds and fees gouged from GA.

OZBUSDRIVER
12th May 2016, 00:45
You need an enquiry headed by someone who knows aviation but isn't tied to it. Glenn Stevens would be an excellent choice. Finished his gig at the Reserve Bank and drives his own Seneca (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/rba-boss-glenn-stevens-a-flying-angel-in-disguise/story-fndo317g-1226504422979)

Sandy Reith
12th May 2016, 01:25
Mate, pay attention. We've just finished one and the government just won't even see to implementing the pretty soft recommendations that it has itself agreed to.
We are drowning in enquiries, we've had enquiries for more than twenty years. I'm sure private pilot Glen would like a rest from Government work, and does not need the money or notoriety from a stint as the Chairman of The Final GA Enquiry. Final because there will be nothing left to enquire about.
By the way, 'independent' Canberra officials might just be too independent. Maybe it's been too easy to accept big fees from government to conduct yet another enquiry. What is their incentive to bring to a conclusion the bleeding obvious?
Responsibility must be sheeted home to our Parliament, the independent umpire is a myth, I'm up to here with Ombudspeople and all the other hangeroners from Canberra. Did you know its now nearly 400,000 in the free world's most socialist super planned city of little free enterprise and almost nil freehold? Australia's biggest mistake and this bureaucratic hot house is growing a taxpayer funded culture of control at an accelerating rate, increasing the national debt that our grandchildren will be paying for.
The Civil Aviation Act must be changed, asap and no excuses and finished talking.

TBM-Legend
12th May 2016, 01:26
Well done Ben and to all who attended. A clear message and good communication is required always.

Horatio Leafblower
12th May 2016, 03:16
Finished his gig at the Reserve Bank and drives his own Seneca

....sure looked like a Baron last time I saw it!

That said, the Glenn Stevens idea is an excellent one.

Can we get Tony Windsor and Nick Xenophon to support the review/Enquiry? Would GS be up for it?

OZBUSDRIVER
12th May 2016, 05:44
Honestly, HL. Last time I saw a photo of the guy in an aircraft I thought it was a KingAir90.

Sandy Reith
12th May 2016, 05:53
Honestly, HL. Last time I saw a photo of the guy in an aircraft I thought it was a KingAir90.

Please gentlemen, make up your minds, did he upgrade to a Kingair or downgrade to a Seneca?
Also please stop talking about another, can't believe it, another enquiry, I'm feeling ill. Back to my Baron upgrade mods and forget about the miseries of Can'tberra. Cheers.

OZBUSDRIVER
12th May 2016, 06:04
Wren460...in defence of another enquiry.

Henry Bosch was a non flying economist and look where we ended up.

I think GS would be an "honest broker" with no vested interest nor beholden to the government. Even if it took five years and it resulted in finally bringing the OLC to heel and the wholesale change of direction for regulation of GA it would be worth every last cent...I would even hope he didn't know Dick Smith but that would be near impossible:}

Horatio Leafblower
12th May 2016, 06:12
Wren460 refers, I think, to the Forsyth Saga which we all applauded when announced, and about which we all seem to forget.

...I too forgot.

I'm going to go run a nice warm bath. Has anyone seen my razor?

mcgrath50
13th May 2016, 00:29
...just look at what public pressure over Uber has done for the Taxi industry

You have to be on the right side of public pressure though. Taxis have a reputation of being a horrific service that is over priced. The general public want Uber and the demise of taxis is their monopolistic chickens coming home to roost.

Before we move we have to make sure we are on he right side of the narrative. We want hard working Aussies. Find people with red dirt under their finger nails. A good human interest story. As much as a lot of the people (like Dick) are fighting the good fight, I would say we want to avoid the rich private "fly boys" being the front and centre story. Look at what has caused the most headaches so far in the election campaign, a guy on benefits trying to treat his kids, a single mum trying to educate her kids, and the panama papers. We have two Aussie battlers who get the electorates sympathy (and whatever you now think of the "Q&A hero", he obviously had the public's sympathy at first, which is why The Australian ran so hard at him) and we have a story about a rich guy doing potentially dodgy rich things. We want to frame ourselves in that first group, not the second.

So as I said, find an honest, hard working, Aussie, preferably a mum or dad, preferably a self made man or woman, maybe even if we can hit the jackpot something in their family history like parents or grandparents being immigrants. Get them in front of cameras. The message will get better traction that way.

Lest we have another incident where a silver haired A380 captain takes 60 minutes out on his yacht in the middle of a pilots strike.

Edit: Additionally, don't dismiss parties you don't like. For many of you that will be the Greens, for some the ALA, others Lambie or whatever. You may not like their politics but minor parties WILL be getting in this election, and whatever BS pledges the Tele is making Turnbull and Shorten sign up to now, the majors WILL work with them. That is how our system works. The Greens and Nick X WILL be getting multiple seats across both houses of parliament, Lambie, ALA, LDP, Family First, KAP, all have decent enough chance of getting a gurnsey. Create dialog with them. Even if you don't like their other policies even pinko tree hugging greens or old racist right wing nutters in the ALA (my attempt at bipartisan bias :P) can see Part 61 is a cluster F. Work with them to see that.

bw2004
13th May 2016, 01:24
Several excellent ideas being proposed here.. Particularly like the idea of demonstrating GA's value to the country.

From what I can see, lobby groups seem to have enormous influence on policy development. Who really represents GA?? Is there a group that we need to all be supporting or alternatively is it time for a new body?? Either way we need to support it financially or with our time.

Realistically this is part of a long term plan to change the tide. I think we'll struggle as a disparate group to oppose a government regulator with paid employees who have made an industry of regulation which clearly has a benefit to the regulator.

Lead Balloon
13th May 2016, 01:31
Additionally, don't dismiss parties you don't like. For many of you that will be the Greens, for some the ALA, others Lambie or whatever. You may not like their politics but minor parties WILL be getting in this election, and whatever BS pledges the Tele is making Turnbull and Shorten sign up to now, the majors WILL work with them. That is how our system works. The Greens and Nick X WILL be getting multiple seats across both houses of parliament, Lambie, ALA, LDP, Family First, KAP, all have decent enough chance of getting a gurnsey. Create dialog with them. Even if you don't like their other policies even pinko tree hugging greens or old racist right wing nutters in the ALA (my attempt at bipartisan bias :P) can see Part 61 is a cluster F. Work with them to see that.Hear! Hear! :D

Very good advice, IMO.

Band a Lot
15th May 2016, 04:14
Maybe this bloke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hardy_(aviator)

Current position would expect he is clean.

LeadSled
15th May 2016, 07:08
Oz,
You must be kidding??

We have just has the ASRR.

Over the years was have had an inquiry about annually, including a number of Royal Commissions, I think Seaview was the last. I have personally read every report from "Lane" on, and virtually all the transcripts of Morris, Seaview and Monarch. I attended 20+ sitting days of Morris.
The Morris Inquiry was the longest Commonwealth inquiry since Federation.

It is a testimony to the resilience of the "Iron Ring" that it has remained impervious to all of the above ---- why would more time wasting on an inquiry by Glen Stevens ( a good bloke, by the way, and his father was a QF Flight Engineer) make the slightest difference.
The Iron Ring is so effective that it got rid of Leroy Keith. when Leroy started making real change --- he was "set up".

In my opinion, Mr. Skidmore has been captured by the Iron Ring, and sadly, Geoff Boyd and the Board are precluded from any real control.

Tootle pip!!

PS: The PAP/CASA Review Part 91 was completed in 1998 (not long after CASR Parts 21-35 went into law). it was actually a little bit shorter than the FAA or NZ equivalents. I still have a hard copy somewhere.It was blocked by then Iron Ring.

Lead Balloon
15th May 2016, 08:15
One substantial but largely unheralded recent victory for GA was a result of the community's response to CASA's knee-jerk after the tragic accident that occurred during an Angel Flight near Bendigo a while ago.

The community worked out that the amount of good done by Angel Flight and other "community service" activities far outweighed the very rare accidents. The community grasped the concept that no activity is risk free, and going to hospital by road or not at all may be riskier than going by light aircraft.

This filtered upwards to the people who actually make the decisions in aviation regulation. And that's not CASA.

GA has to remind the community of the value to the community of GA away from the big cities.

The major parties and the public service in Canberra are now 'the protected'. Almost none of the mess they create for GA has any substantial effects on them. They don't care. Literally: they don't care. Because they don't have to. Individually and personally some of them may, but they're part of a machine that's evolved for only one reason, and it isn't to promote the public interest. They want to keep their job? They do what the machine demands.

Ask yourself: How did Bill Heffernan, or David Fawcett, or Fiona Nash, or Jan McLucas, or Ian MacDonald, or Glen Sterle - or any other of the people who've expressed strong opinions in senate inquiries - actually vote on the floor of the Senate to change anything about what they'd heard or found.

It's a machine that's evolved to protect itself. At your expense. And it's fine tuned to take advantage of the false dichotomy between "one side" - Labour - and "the other side" - the Coalition.

So far as GA is concerned (at least) everyone needs to understand this: The major parties are the same side.

Another inquiry is always welcome. More activity, more crumbs for the chooks in industry to pick at, more excuses for inaction, more hard-hitting recommendations, more questions at Estimates, more credulous fools thinking: "Finally, this time"...

More ... pantomime.

The more Members of Parliament there are who represent their community, the less remote the chances that decisions will be made in the interests of the community.

I don't particularly care whether a candidate's green, red, blue, pink, gay, straight, vegan, omnivore, carnivore, left, right, centre, illiterate, educated, male, female, any one or more of the letters in LGTBI, religious, agnostic or whatever. I just want to know that they're not wearing a party straightjacket. Then I have a remote chance of working out whether what they say has any potential connection to how they may vote on the floor of the Parliament.