PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Skillet Tricks?

Mark in CA
25th Apr 2016, 21:19
I have one of those really good, old cast iron skillets I want to take with me from the US to my home in Europe. It's not huge, about 8 inches, and weighs a few pounds.

Am I crazy to think I could take this in carry-on into the cabin of my flight(s)?

Metro man
25th Apr 2016, 23:14
Best to check it in as it could easily be used as a weapon just like a baseball bat. I even had a roll of duct tape confiscated as it could be used to restrain someone.

PAXboy
26th Apr 2016, 07:50
Pack it carefully and mark it Fragile, if you want. If staff have not seen one before, they are probably going to say No.

vctenderness
26th Apr 2016, 11:22
I'd say no. I had a bicycle lock sealed in that armour plated plastic stuff that requires a chainsaw to open taken off me as it quote' could be used as a weapon or restraint device'.

I am of the opinion a certain security officer at Gatwick now has a very secure bike!

PAXboy
26th Apr 2016, 11:23
At Gatwick, they once took a combination tool from me, where the blade was only 2" (rules at the time being 4") but this was deemed illegal and thrown in the bin.

ExXB
26th Apr 2016, 15:33
In a word, yes. Put it in your suitcase and pay any excess, it's cheaper than airfreight.

DaveReidUK
26th Apr 2016, 15:53
With a skillet in my hand baggage, at the very least I'd expect a grilling from security.

vctenderness
27th Apr 2016, 08:33
....and that's cast iron...boom boom!

Carry0nLuggage
29th Apr 2016, 11:46
And yet oddly, I've travelled through numerous airports with Kensington locks in my hand luggage. You know, the ones with the built in noose.

A mate of mine once got stopped with a brand new bike chain in his bag. After a training session with his supervisor the security bod let him and it through.

Mark in CA
7th May 2016, 23:18
I've decided to put the skillet in the checked baggage. Thanks to all for your entertaining replies.

hoss183
12th May 2016, 07:55
As a diver i fly with my valuable/heavy items in hand luggage to beat the loco weight limits. This includes my regulators and a steel backplate from my harness (4kg 30cm x 40cm) Never had any problems.

Mark in CA
14th May 2016, 06:05
The skillet made it through in my checked bag. Arrived in excellent condition! Along with an entire set of kitchen chef's knives!