PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATP to FAA ATP

caravan
24th Apr 2016, 19:21
Appreciate any info on good schools that offer the new ATP CTP and flight check to obtain my FAA ATP. I have lots of heavy jet time and need to get my FAA ATP
Thanks very much

MarkerInbound
25th Apr 2016, 17:07
You're probably better splitting the CTP and the actual ATP. Currently there are only 7 schools where you can complete the CTP as an individual.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp/media/ATP_CTP_Providers.pdf

Three of those programs are connected with 141 schools which train in light aircraft and three are 142 schools which issue type ratings. Higher Power/ATP Flight School does both. As a current jet pilot you'll find the CTP insanely boring, almost to the point of being insulting. There's 8 hours of aerodynamics which can be summed up "If you're stalling push the nose down." We now have 7 hours and 59 minutes to fill.

I know some of the CTP courses include links to online training for the written test. As almost nothing covered during the CTP relates to the actual written test I would say you should try to find one that includes that training so you're not having to buy that additional program on your own.

caravan
30th Apr 2016, 07:31
Thanks Marker inbound for your reply. I better speak to the FAA directly because i have over 15,000 of international airline wide body airbus time and so not sure if the ground school and sim training would be relevant. That would make sense for somebody that has 1500 hrs with limited experience but not for somebody that has been flying jets for 25 years internationally.
cheers

MarkerInbound
30th Apr 2016, 07:58
It's not but there's no relief for prior experience. Plenty of Air Force F-16 and C-17 drivers in the classes twiddling their thumbs.

caravan
30th Apr 2016, 09:57
Really well the FAA needs to recognize experience and not apply this blanket rule