PDA

View Full Version : CAA & Propranolol

skyhighflyer87
23rd Apr 2016, 17:26
Hi there,

Does anyone know if I can find information on medications which are approved, or not for cabin crew.

My doctor discussed taking Propranolol for minor anxiety. My health is generally good, and its just this. It would be the lowest dose.. and more than likely on demand, for a short term. It isn't addictive and doesn't really have any side effects. It is just a beta blocker.

Does anyone have any more information on this type of thing. I don't currently take any medication, and its just discussion at the docs at the moment.

Thanks guys. Any help would be appreciated :)

Radgirl
24th Apr 2016, 20:59
Sorry, but like all drugs propranolol has lots of side effects. Pilots can still fly if taking it regularly for say high blood pressure after an initial period of grounding. However, 'on demand' would give me concerns, although I am not an AME.

The experience is that beta blockers may reduce the symptoms of anxiety but they also significantly reduce performance. Personally I wouldnt want you in charge of the emergency exits on my plane!

You will need to consult your company doctor for a definitive answer, but you may wish to consider psychotherapy which has no side effects and is much more successful

Good luck

gingernut
26th Apr 2016, 23:06
Propranolol works really well for some people. It sort of mops up all the chemicals that are involved in the viscous circle of anxiety reactions.

I think the problem you may encounter, is the fact that you are taking it on "as required" (PRN) basis, which could cause some uncertainty for your AME.

It may be a good idea to revisit your prescriber, and inform him of the implications of your prescription.

As Radgirl states, there maybe a better solution :-)

skyhighflyer87
27th Apr 2016, 11:12
Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice and help. I was told that there were very little side effects, and now I understand differently.

I am currently looking at alternative therapies etc. I am not flying at the moment, and have not taken any medication.

If I have to take any medication, I will contact the airline AME and maybe look at stabilised prescription, as the feed back is that on demand is not good.

I appreciate you help guys and it is just to gain a better understanding of what is going on.

Thank you,

SkyHigh :)

skyhighflyer87
8th May 2016, 14:32
Hi there guys,

I just thought I would let you know, I have consulted with my AME and the airline, and was original opinion, there are very little side effects from propranolol, and I wouldn't have any problem foreseen to carry out safety duties etc either set dose or on demand :).

I can carry on flying even if the tablets are introduced. This is advice from 3 people, my family GP, the AME and the Airline themselves :)

Best Regards and happy flying :)

SkyHigh