View Full Version : EASY JET DEC, what base has best benefits

NineInchSnail
19th Apr 2016, 13:47
Hi Folks,

I am looking at the EZ DEC contract. The bases offered on the website are quiet different but salary looks roughly the same. So I was wondering which base has the lowest taxes and the best pension system out of Barcelona, Venice and Berlin. Which of those base would be the easiest to get if successful at the assessment?

Thanks in advance for the information

The African Dude
19th Apr 2016, 15:17
The Italian pension system is generous but you have to be in it for many years to take advantage - that is IF there's any money left in the national pot by the time you get there :suspect: Minibase agreement at present so it's random roster pattern with 132 days off (? - somebody will correct me if I'm wrong).

Berlin is subject to the German contract AFAIK which is also decent. Not sure about roster pattern but the German contract is also OK.

Barcelona is pretty rubbish financially compared to other more established bases as it's in the new 'style' of minibases with reduced T&Cs and flexi roster. It's in the same ballpark as LIS, OPO, NAP that sort of deal.

But as with all things, since you're going to actually be living and working there, just go with whatever base will give you the best lifestyle balance. Money isn't everything. Life is too short.

VJW
19th Apr 2016, 15:54
I applied for the LGW NTR DEC today. Just wondering as I have a bond that expires at the end of October this year, does anyone know whether EJ be happy if my notice period is officially 3 months, but I'd require say 5 months (depending on how long it'd take to pass everything) to ensure that I wouldn't have to pay off a bond I'm currently under? While I'm aware you need to pay for the A320 type rating, I wouldn't want to additionally pay off my current bond.

SpGo
20th Apr 2016, 11:19
Except LGW, bases with best benefits have internal waiting lists which can be quite long.
As a DEC you will probably be offered OPO, LIS, BCN, AMS, LGW or NAP.
There is a base freeze for DECs and it is my understanding that unions want to introduce a seniority element into the base transfers in the future, so expect to be based for quite a long time in one of the. bases mentioned above.

EcamSurprise
20th Apr 2016, 12:32
Some of the more desirable bases now have very short waiting lists.

box
22nd Apr 2016, 13:33
You may not get the base you initally signed up for. Don't quit your previous job until you're 100% certain ( contract signed by you and easyjet ).

EcamSurprise
22nd Apr 2016, 13:51
You don't 'sign up' for a base. You apply for the base that you would prefer and then this is subject to offer.

However, things are different from a few years ago. People will get offered a lot of good bases.

NEDude
24th Apr 2016, 00:30
Hello all, I am will have my EASA ATPL in hand in just a few weeks and looking forward to working much closer to home, rather than in the Far East (I am currently flying as an A320 captain in China on my FAA ATP). DEC for EasyJet is near the top of my list.

Can anyone tell me if trips tend to be out and backs, or do crews get layovers in outstations? Does it vary between the bases? What kind of travel benefits do crew members receive?

seen_the_box
24th Apr 2016, 10:11
Certain bases (LGW for example) do quite a lot of night-stopping. At other bases, you'll only lay over if flying out of base for a block, or if you're AOG.

Staff travel is, in my opinion, not a bad system at all. Subject to availability, you get basically tax only fares, and there's a standby ticketing system as well. Not perfect, but does the job for me.

NEDude
25th Apr 2016, 02:23
Thank you for the reply!

lear999wa
25th Apr 2016, 14:09
In reference to the NTR captains positions on offer for LIS. Easyjet is funding the rating in return for a two year bond. (25000 euros reducing for 24 months)

flamingmoe
26th Apr 2016, 01:41
Is it possible to be hired as a DEC on a validation of an FAA ATP, provided the conversion is completed within a year?

flamingmoe
26th Apr 2016, 01:46
Disregard, helps to read the job requirements before posting!

stable_checked
26th Apr 2016, 10:57
All the 'good' bases have their lists full of internal people waiting to go, especially captains. I doubt DEC will be offered any of these 'good' bases. I think offers will be for LGW(limited),AMS,LIS,OPO,BCN,PMI.

dirk85
26th Apr 2016, 11:03
How about Italian bases?

EDDT
26th Apr 2016, 11:13
There is also recruitment FO/DEC for Berlin-Schönefeld.

SpGo
26th Apr 2016, 16:52
NAP probably. Flexi roster makes it difficult to commute though.

A320.1B
27th Apr 2016, 03:44
Any info regarding BCN base? Is it really that bad? I have family there and would be a good personal move for me.. Just want to be sure work wise its also a good move....

Nightstop
27th Apr 2016, 07:03
Best base by far is LGW. UK contract and easy commute to most of the EU.

dirk85
27th Apr 2016, 08:28
MXP would be great as well, money wise and roster wise.

SpGo
27th Apr 2016, 08:34
Forget MXP, the waiting list is very long.

stable_checked
28th Apr 2016, 13:18
The only lists that do not have people waiting to go are

AMS,LIS,OPO,BCN

There may also be opportunities for NAP and VCE and the new PMI base next year(66% of the BCN contract)

thebeast
28th Apr 2016, 13:58
Does anyone know if non type rated DEC's are required to pay for the type rating or is it just bonded? So i do not waste my time with an application.

thanks

stable_checked
28th Apr 2016, 15:13
It depends how many of you accept to pay for the type rating! If no one accepts paying for it, then easyjet will have to fund it

larryboy
1st May 2016, 08:02
As a matter of interest, does anybody know how much the tr costs, and are you paid during this training?
By the way, non tr co-pilots are required to pay for tr.
Thanks

stable_checked
1st May 2016, 08:08
I know that cadets pay 38K for the type rating, I met a few recently.

caffeinecorner
1st May 2016, 11:52
Im looking for info on the selection process for non type rated dec captains and suggestions on how to prep?

To my understanding there will be a group exercise and a non technical interview. anything else i can expect?

FMCDU
2nd May 2016, 07:53
You will never get MXP. The base is overcrewed after the rome closure and the waiting list is long. The fact that MXP was even mentioned in the job opening has caused sufficient grumblings to have it adresed by the union. IMHO contract wise LGW or SXF are the best bases available to DEC at the moment.

flamingmoe
2nd May 2016, 10:55
Is there availability at the NAP base? how does the contract stack up?

dirk85
2nd May 2016, 11:32
Standard italian contract with random roster, as far as I know, but I stand to be corrected.

Excellent money, very difficult commuting. Naples not a city for everyone in terms of day to day life.

VJW
15th May 2016, 18:19
Has anyone heard anything yet or know how long it normally takes to hear back from initial application? I applied a month ago, just wondering how long it might take to hear something as I keep seeing LGW NTR Captains jobs being advertised.

joe two
16th May 2016, 08:50
Standard italian contract with random roster

more correct phraseology would be :
Standard italian contract but with random roster

dirk85
16th May 2016, 10:02
Fair enough

Toastal
18th May 2016, 03:43
Can someone please shed some light on the the DEC rated PMI contract please. I appreciate it's a new base and all, but monthly take home figures and potential roster pattern would be well received

Rgds,

T

SpGo
18th May 2016, 07:54
PMI is a seasonal base, 4 months unpaid leave in winter.
Random rostering, 11 days off a month, of which 2 are bookable. OFF days come in blocks of 2 or3, sometimes single days OFF.
Expect 90 to 100+ hrs/ month for about 7000€ take home (8months). Almost no pay when sick.
Full EASA duty limits.
Base freeze, with no guarantee for transfer afterwards.

superconstellation
18th May 2016, 11:19
And the 4 months "unpaid" means that you are unemployed, so you won´t be paying any social security (no pension or medical cover). On top of that, EZY is not obligued to hire you back the next summer period, so if they don´t like you for whatever reason They will simply offer the job to another pilot.

Overall, a very poor deal IMHO.

UberPilot
18th May 2016, 11:29
And the 4 months "unpaid" means that you are unemployed, so you won´t be paying any social security (no pension or medical cover). On top of that, EZY is not obligued to hire you back the next summer period, so if they don´t like you for whatever reason They will simply offer the job to another pilot.

Overall, a very poor deal IMHO.

Incorrect. As poor as some may view the offer, it is a permanent contract. It is not a series of 8 month contracts, rather a permanent one with 4 months unpaid leave each winter.

Toastal
18th May 2016, 11:57
Thanks for the reply folks, wouldn't even apply if this is the :mad: on offer

tomuchwork
18th May 2016, 12:12
Sounds like some offer for some Ex EK or QR guys who made enough money in the sandpit(nowadays hard to achieve) or better some guy after a good chinese contract to just do the last few years in a relaxed way. 4 month off is not that bad if you don't need the money...

Notus
18th May 2016, 13:38
Are you sure that there will be no social security contributions in the winter?

Could it be 66.6% of fixed salary paid all year, effectively 4 months unpaid leave but paying into the social security throughout the whole year. Variable parts of the salary only paid for the 8 months working.

This is an important point, as removing four months each year form your state pension contributions can make a huge difference over a few years.

This point in my opinion is a game changer.

Is there private health insurance, loss of license, will parking be paid for etc.

I am sure EZY are looking for people who want to return home (or close to home) but the price for that privilege might be too high for most.

RHINO
18th May 2016, 13:41
Seriously, 56K euros as a skipper to slog your guts out for 8 months:=

R T Jones
18th May 2016, 16:51
Private health insurance lol

SpGo
18th May 2016, 17:15
It is permanent employment. But with four months unpaid each year, which means you can't work for another airline during these four months.
No private health insurance. Not sure about loss of licence.
Parking paid by the company, uniform provided for free.

superconstellation
18th May 2016, 20:12
Well, it will be a "contrato fijo-discontinuo" so you will not be contributing to Social security during those 4 months. You can claim unemployment benefits during this period .That info is from local ezy mngmnt so I think that it should be true. I haven't confirmed it though so feel free to correct it

SpGo
18th May 2016, 21:12
Not correct SC, it is a permanent contract with 4 months unpaid leave each year, not unemployment, so no unemployment benefits at all.

EcamSurprise
18th May 2016, 22:09
That is also my understanding.

superconstellation
19th May 2016, 08:10
Well, according to this local management I spoke with, Ezy won't be paying ss as it's about 3000€+/month. So that's part of the savings the company will do. Again, that's the info I got. Anyway, if anybody is interested on this deal make sure to know what you are signing.

Nighty
12th Nov 2016, 08:43
Hi guys,

got a question concerning SXF base. How are the chances for a rated DEC to get there in the near future? How is the rostering done in Berlin? I would appreciate some insights to make the right decision...
Thanks!

Cmon-PullUP
12th Nov 2016, 19:25
Not sure you will get a Dec to SXF just now. A fair amount of SFO's just in the upgrade process and returning, and a few didn't get to go straight back. This indicates the base is full (?). Regarding rosters, the SXF is among the best you will get south of MAN. Very sensible compared to further south, and as a benefit you have really nice crew all around.

I have been based on a fair few bases over the past 10 years, and outside of UK, I will choose SXF any day. - But this is just my opinion.

miguel22
7th Feb 2017, 13:17
Hello Guys,

What about Switzerland? Anyone has info about future recruiting here? I know that they have bases in Basel and Geneva but how full are these bases?

Thanks ;)