PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy S6 'Phone

gehenna
19th Apr 2016, 13:41
Hi Folks

Am considering replacing a Sony Z3 with a Samsung Galaxy S6.

Would anyone be able to comment on the Samsung, particularly battery life. I would also be grateful for any other comments on the S6 that you may find of use in aiding me make a decision - oh, am looking at the 32GB memory version.

Thanks very much.

Loose rivets
20th Apr 2016, 21:29
The Galaxy Core Prime was a doddle to use, where the S6 I'm finding very tedious in several ways. At this time I'm blaming Marshmallow for the problems with copying contacts to Home Screen. The old way was two very quick moves, now it's a total PITA if you don't download an app.

Another example. Clock. Most things fine, but nowhere near as clearly laid out as the Core Prime. Turning an alarm off seems bizarrely difficult, and I've a feeling that's only just started that way. Another helpful Android upgrade?

I started a temporary thread in Jet Blast but it kind of took off. I was feeling guilty anyway as this forum is more for specific technical thingies and in JB one can have a general natter - and a laugh.

Unless of course, Saab doesn't mind.

gehenna
23rd Apr 2016, 06:46
Thanks Loose rivets; I'll stay with the Sony for now.

Capn Bloggs
23rd Apr 2016, 12:15
At this time I'm blaming Marshmallow for the problems with copying contacts to Home Screen. The old way was two very quick moves, now it's a total PITA if you don't download an app.

I'm going to stick up for Android here. The simplest way to run Contacts is with Gmail. Then it doesn't matter how often you change phones or wipe them; your contacts will auto-download immediately you sync after a reset. I acknowledge that Losse Rivets might have an issue with contacts in the cloud but saving them onto "the phone" or sim card is not the way to do things these days.

Loose rivets
23rd Apr 2016, 16:16
It won't affect most people, but I see a well-known cloud drive being reduced from 15Gb to 5Gb. They apologised. I'll try to find the link.

I don't use clouds at all.

The contact transfer between my Core Prime and the S6 was seamless. The issue was simply making the contact appear on the home screen. Without the use of widgets. It seems that prior to Marshmallow it was a two-touch process. (assuming you're already looking at the contact.)

Loose rivets
24th Apr 2016, 09:37
gehenna Thinking about this, keep looking at the S6 technology. I don't want to do you a disservice. Remember, I'm an old far . . . person, who just wants things to stay the same all the time. There are folk that love their S6's so keep an open mind.

I suppose it was like when I went to help a pal and found he was on the new Vista. I really was a stranger in a strange land and for some days, no help at all.

I noticed last night that should I want to use Word on the phone it will be near vital to have a cloud linking the main editing PC. Given I've been advised to chop my book into three, being able to read a few pages while out might well be of use and indeed helped on the 'Phablet' sized screen. But for day to day use it's is just that tad too big.

I'm somewhat concerned about the big G suddenly saying I've given them some copyright or some other nightmare.

Changes to OneDrive
We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On July 27, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus. You can learn more at our FAQ.
There is no action you need to take, because your OneDrive account is currently below the new storage limits. Even though you aren't currently affected, we want to keep you updated on all important changes to OneDrive. If you'd like to check your account, you can visit the Storage page.
We realize these are big changes to a service you rely on. We want to apologize for any inconvenience they may cause you. We made a difficult decision, but it's one that will let us sustainably operate OneDrive into the future.
Thank you for using OneDrive.
– The OneDrive Team