PDA

View Full Version : ATP Flight school EASA ATPL

flywithtej
19th Apr 2016, 01:49
I had a question regarding ATP Flight School and specficially getting the ATPL. I am considering going there to get my licenses and ratings. My end goal is to fly for a airline in Europe. Now I know at ATP I will do the Airline Career pilot course, which will get me a FAA PPL/IR/CFI/CPL. Then I will do the conversion course to convert just those to the EASA standards. But I believe to fly for an airline in Europe, I need a ATPL unlike in the US. At what stage will I get this at ATP? or how do I get it, once I have my PPL/IR/CFI/CPL converted to EASA. If anyone that had been through the school or is knowledgeable can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

zondaracer
19th Apr 2016, 14:36
Ok, there are several issues here.
1. ATP flight school can not help in any way with the EASA conversion, I assume you already know this.

2. To fly in the US at a part 121 carrier, you need an ATP. When you graduate from ATP you will have a Commercial Pilot Certificate.

3. To fly in Europe at an airline, you only need a commercial pilot license with the ATPL theory completed.

4. In order to get the European commercial pilot license and the EASA ATPL exams, you will have to find an EASA approved school. There are a handful in the US, but the majority are in Europe. ATP flight school will not train you for the European ratings.

5. Do you have European citizenship or right to work in Europe?

Transsonic2000
23rd Apr 2016, 14:42
5. Do you have European citizenship or right to work in Europe? If no, then it's pretty much pointless to aim for an EASA license. No EU airline / operator will hire you without having the legal right to live and work in the EU. Current job market situation in the EU is quite tight, career perspectives are much better in the US. If you're a US citizen I'd suggest get your FAA CPL/IR and your CFI afterwards and start building time. Once you've reached the hourly requirements (1500 hr) get your FAA ATP and I bet you'll be sitting in a jet cockpit faster than you think! If you're a determined and goal oriented person, this can be all achieved in as little as two years.

Shamrock137
29th Apr 2016, 20:35
1. ATP flight school can not help in any way with the EASA conversion, I assume you already know this.ATP has a FAA and EASA program.

https://atpflightschool.com/international/airline-career-pilot-easa.html

Not sure if flywithtej is referring to this program or the other airline track. However theirs no mention of the ATP exams to get a frozen ATPL which I understand is required for flying in Europe?

zondaracer
29th Apr 2016, 21:43
Oh wow, that must be new. Looks like they just send you to a separate European school to get the conversion done.