PDA

View Full Version : Virgin V8 Supercar Sponsorship

Stationair8
19th Apr 2016, 01:29
Speedcafe are reporting that Virgin will become the naming rights sponsor for the series commencing in July.

Snakecharma
19th Apr 2016, 01:33
Because Virgin has plenty of spare cash to splash out on sponsorships. How about sponsoring operational stuff like I don't know catering, spares, actual people in order to run the operation.

Face plant

das Uber Soldat
19th Apr 2016, 01:55
V8 Supercars set to reveal new naming-rights sponsor, Middle East race in 2017 (http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/v8-supercars/v8-v8-supercars-set-to-reveal-new-namingrights-sponsor-middle-east-race-in-2017/news-story/2576c1d49034d2c58683afffeb88cfb1)

:ugh:

porch monkey
19th Apr 2016, 03:11
Ah, so now I see why the 777 is staying on the M/E route.........

In the Soup
19th Apr 2016, 09:50
I hope they spend an absolute s*load on repainting a 777 with a V8 supercar theme down each side of the fuselage

Bootstrap1
19th Apr 2016, 12:34
I remember Ansett went on a big sponsorship binge as they were sinking fast. Lots of similarities between then and now.

RampDog
24th Apr 2016, 11:22
The marketing gurus are obviously trained to sell concepts. So good are they at this that they can sell hugely expensive advertising campaigns to airline executives, who fall for the hype and glamour with little regard on how the money can be better spent.
It's history now that Ansett spent between $40 and $50 million to sponsor the the 2000 Sydney Olympics, money straight down the plughole as the majority of Aussies thought Qantas were the actual sponsors. And AN dead and just about buried just 12 months after the closing ceremony!!

Please read this fantastic information piece, with particular attention to Point 8 -

Effective Naturally - Build a Brand People Rave About (http://effectivenaturally.com/category/sponsorship/)

*Citation for the website link I have posted: Touchpoints blog at effectivenaturally.com is a web initiative by Australian Rick Marton, that covers marketing, social media, public speaking and media coaching. It is based in Launceston, Tasmania.

Just my opinion, however I believe Virgin Australia needs to concentrate on their business plan, forget the advertising hype. Promote the airline for how good and safe it is, (if that's their genuine belief), and work extremely hard on that to make sure that's what the paying public (not guests) gets.

Qantas has had nearly a century of successfully proving itself to Australia and the World, Virgin Australia has yet to do that in any meaningful way. It's future is being shaped by its foreign owners and that can't be good in the long term, we all know what happened with Ansett...

Unregistered User
25th Apr 2016, 03:02
RampDog,

I can relate to your claims that "the marketing gurus are obviously trained to sell concepts. So good are they at this that they can sell hugely expensive advertising campaigns to airline executives, who fall for the hype and glamour with little regard on how the money can be better spent".

Read on:

During a wait at an airport once many moons ago, I happened to notice the baggage tag attached to my bags wore the Ansett logo along with the words proclaiming: Official sponsor of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games. It was a great looking baggage tag but it did have one glaring omission; there was no mention of the actual airline......other than domestic Australian pax, nobody would have a clue who Ansett was/were.

As you said RampDog, $$$ straight down the gurgler.

RampDog
25th Apr 2016, 11:17
History repeats?

I assume that VA is not going to spend the vast sum that Ansett did with the 2000 Olympics sponsorship, but I can't help but wonder how the V8 Supercars race in Dubai fits their competition strategy, (given that they don't even fly to that port) or how tangible any financial gain would be.

Do they really think that spending a few $million on this event is money well spent or just "small change"? They have just recently had a handout of more cash from their owners, you would think a bit more due diligence and good sense would prevail. Business isn't that rosy is it, that they can spend up at this point in time?

Moody?s places Virgin Australia on review for credit downgrade | Australian Aviation (http://australianaviation.com.au/2016/04/moodys-places-virgin-australia-on-review-for-credit-downgrade/)
Source: Australian Aviation magazine April 2016

VA CEO Borghetti recently was quoted in the Australian Financial Review as saying: "It's really now focusing on the capital structure and the efficiency of the business through reductions in sustainable costs such as simplification of the fleet and other business,"
Read more: Virgin's John Borghetti says his critics should look at the 'big picture' | afr.com (http://www.afr.com/business/transport/aviation/virgins-john-borghetti-says-his-critics-should-look-at-the-big-picture-20160401-gnw9s4#ixzz46pmVNjOl)

How strategic is VA's thinking, that it might even give Qantas and Emirates a small boost if consumers aren't paying total attention to the advertising (who does?).

I believe that no one wants Virgin to be less than it is, we all want to see it be successful in it's own right, it's good for the Australian economy and Australian jobs, as Ansett was in its time. I hate the thought that they would ever be in the financial position of having to totally sell out to SQ, EY or maybe even one of the Chinese carriers!

Call me a cynic (ok, I am a cynic :ok:), but I'm sure all in all, the Virgin board, its executives, the business partners and other hangers on will all enjoy the perks of the corporate box for their week of motor racing. The Ansett leeches surely enjoyed the Olympic Committee's hospitality back in their day.

As they say..... "It's only a rort if you're not in it" :=

Big Coight
25th Apr 2016, 23:03
G'day all,

Long time listener and all that.

I assume that VA is not going to spend the vast sum that Ansett did with the 2000 Olympics sponsorship, but I can't help but wonder how the V8 Supercars race in Dubai fits their competition strategy, (given that they don't even fly to that port) or how tangible any financial gain would be.

James Warburton (V8SC CEO) has said that the category has no plans to go to Dubai in 2017:

No plans for Dubai in 2017 | V8 Supercars (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/no-plans-for-dubai-in-2017/)

People with no interest in the sport may think the VA tie-up is a pointless exercise, but my thoughts as a V8SC fan is that it's a good move. The V8SC fan base is wide and varied, however, even with Foxtel taking the rights as of 2015, there is still a large "working class" fan base that are very loyal to certain brands of the sport. Jaging some of those could mean new life-long (albeit not too frequent) customers. There's also a good corporate interest of the sport, and with the new specification cars being allowed from next year (meaning other engine configurations allowed), it's likely to atract an even larger following than in years past. It has the potential to really become a global sport.

Just my thoughts.

BC

Fris B. Fairing
26th Apr 2016, 05:49
V8 Supercars
Over-regulated and boring. Much of the time it's not on television either. (Foxtel doesn't count as television).
Give me pit crews kicking out rear windows and chopping through boot lids with axes.

Big Coight
27th Apr 2016, 02:06
Official announcement today:

Get ready to fly | V8 Supercars (http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/championship/get-ready-to-fly/)

The Bullwinkle
27th Apr 2016, 08:56
What would you expect from a Petrolhead!

Falling Leaf
27th Apr 2016, 10:24
Marshall in a car, close up of some cabin crew's crotch, then ...Lots of noise and smoke, spun out and going nowhere!

Not sure if that's is the right message they are after…wouldn't some racing, like overtaking your opposition (i.e. QF), or crossing the finish line and seeing the chequered flag be better..

But then again, I'm not a marketing genius.

standard unit
28th Apr 2016, 03:29
but my thoughts as a V8SC fan is that it's a good move. The V8SC fan base is wide and varied, however, even with Foxtel taking the rights as of 2015, there is still a large "working class" fan base that are very loyal to certain brands of the sport.

Those you speak of will never fly beyond Honolulu , Denpasar or Bangkok.

For them the world ends there.

t_cas
29th Apr 2016, 10:39
RM's have been part of the Virgin Australia uniform since they changed to the new uniform 4-5 years ago.
Even before that...........................................

RampDog
1st May 2016, 08:13
As I said earlier, it's about the execs and their corporate buddies "dining out" on the marketing guys' expenses accounts!;)
It will be a wonderful week of eating and drinking (no alcohol?), and of course networking and schmoozing:p
I don't think anyone envisages a flurry of Southern Cross tatted up Virgin pax wanting to fly to the exotic Middle East rather than doing their accustomed Bali!! :E

Stationair8
21st May 2016, 22:11
Noticed a Toyota 86, sporting some Virgin Sponsorship here at wonderful Winton.

The team name is 737 Motorsport!

SHVC
21st May 2016, 23:24
Why not start a racing team, JB does love throwing money away on pointless ventures.