PDA

View Full Version : "manual" in call common?

Fly4Business
18th Apr 2016, 14:37
Last weekend I noticed calls "ILS established manual" on the radio at controlled airports in continental Europe.
Does this signal "hand-flown, no autopilot", why? From call signs I guess it were training flights of a big ATO.
Is that call now common practice?

Sir Niall Dementia
18th Apr 2016, 16:26
Never heard of it, its' probably some EASAism that I should take notice of, and eventually might, but I can't find a reference in any CAP so I doubt it.

SND

3wheels
18th Apr 2016, 18:26
Guessing...Cat 1 approach, so therefore manual landing. No Cat3 protection required?

chevvron
18th Apr 2016, 20:21
Probably means I'm flying it manually rather than the autopilot so I may deviate slightly from LLZ/GP.

27/09
19th Apr 2016, 07:06
No, I think it means, "I had to get the manual out to read how to fly the old fashioned ILS rather than flying a new fangled RNAV approach that I'm more used to". :E

BoeingBoy
19th Apr 2016, 07:46
Unless this has been introduced since I retired in January there is no requirement whatsoever to tell ATC if you are flying a manual ILS or not.

The only requirement is to stipulate that if you intend to practise an autoland (Cat3) ILS in good weather then you will not need the LVP protection hence the call 'No protection required'.

fireflybob
19th Apr 2016, 07:58
Unless this has been introduced since I retired in January there is no requirement whatsoever to tell ATC if you are flying a manual ILS or not.

Dave, the children of the magenta line probably regard a hand flown ILS now as a state of urgency...

Fly4Business
19th Apr 2016, 10:54
Dave, the children of the magenta line probably regard a hand flown ILS now as a state of urgency...
That is a good one!

goldox
21st Apr 2016, 11:29
Is it possible that the ATCO's name was Manuel, and everyone was on first name terms with him? :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Apr 2016, 11:39
Love it goldox.... When I first worked with the USAF I had to transfer traffic to GCA with the phrase "Contact GCA on Stud 5 or manual on 385.4" My mentor told me it was a Spanish GCA controller...