PDA

View Full Version : Prednisolone & CAA Class 1 Medical

beacon.outbound
17th Apr 2016, 17:43
Hi all. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what the stance of the CAA would be with regards to being prescribed prednisolone tablets (0.5 mg/kg) for a duration of approximately a week?

I have heard that being prescribed any sort of systemic steroids automatically disqualifies a Class 1 medical however I can't seem to find anything definitive..

Thanks

Radgirl
17th Apr 2016, 18:29
My understanding is that ANY new drug suspends your license until you have been taking it for a period of time. You are also obliged to discuss the drug with your AME before exercising the privileges of the license. So a quick phone call is mandatory and will give you chapter and verse.

IMHO however you certainly should not fly on this dose as it can produce changes in your psychological state as well as a myriad of other side effects.

Democritus
17th Apr 2016, 18:37
I was initially prescribed Prednisolone when I developed mature onset of asthma in the 1990's and my licence was suspended whilst I was on them. The tablets can give you a feeling of euphoria if taken for any prolonged period - they certainly did that in my case.

Density
18th Apr 2016, 11:06
Not sure about CAA...but both CASA and FAA allow you to fly whilst on prednisone of 10mg or less.

beacon.outbound
18th Apr 2016, 11:31
Thanks for all your input. I have just found the following on the CAA website, however it is in a section related to musculoskeletal conditions.

"The use of oral steroids is disqualifying therefore, while using this type of medication, the pilot will be assessed unfit and the medical certificate will be temporarily suspended. (Note: certification may in exceptional cases be considered where no more than 7.5 mg prednisolone daily has been prescribed to reduce the rate of joint destruction in rheumatoid arthritis; such cases should be assessed in consultation with the AMS). Recertification can be considered when the certificate holder has been off oral steroid therapy for a minimum of two weeks with no recurrence of symptoms and the condition is confirmed "

Either way, I appreciate that I need to contact my AME should the situation arise - I'm just tying to get a heads up of what to expect in the coming couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

cavortingcheetah
19th Apr 2016, 05:38
There is some peripheral guidance here.
https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294973873
You will note that oral steroids are unacceptable as a treatment for asthma.

Radgirl
19th Apr 2016, 14:25
beacon.outbound

The dose needed for nasal polyps is far far more than the limit set by the CAA so I suspect you know the answer. However given that you should only be on them for a week or so, you will be flying a couple of weeks later