PDA

View Full Version : What's good about flying freight?

deltahotel
26th Jun 2002, 16:19
Currently flying charter - contemplating a change. What makes freight work good/bad/indifferent? What makes it better/worse than other flying?

Thoughts please. Thanks.

before landing check list
26th Jun 2002, 17:24
I like boxes because people are obnoxious. Seriously though, Ilike nights because the air is smoother, ATC is less hassled so we get cleared direct. And I liked the 2 weeks on/off schedule. Course now I am furloughed and flying C12's for Uncle Sugar in Kuwait for six months..............
j

CaptainCargo
30th Jun 2002, 10:27
It's the best kept secret in aviation....check out the www. link...

Airbusser
30th Jun 2002, 10:43
Which link would that be?

I am very interested as I will start in the cargo flying next week so....

Engineer
30th Jun 2002, 14:12
Airbusser

It is a secret so you will not get to see it :D :D :D

ehwatezedoing
3rd Jul 2002, 03:11
It's a busted secret, take a look at this! (http://www.aviationhumour.co.uk/aviation/fdog.htm) :D

Lodestar
3rd Jul 2002, 10:08
Well captain cargo,

I just visited your link and read all your stories. If ever you finish your novell please let me know so I can be amongst the first ones to buy a copy.

It looks like we will be flying for the same company as well, maybe one day we will meet in the crewroom somewhere around europe!
One thing tough, i will be flying the widebodied pieces of metal so i will bare in mind the inertia and the difficulties of driving that thing around......thanks for the tips:cool: ;)

3 Holer
7th Jul 2002, 09:56
Freight never complains about delays, the weather or in flight catering !

fightson
10th Jul 2002, 21:49
Most times you arrive at a hotel and someone has been kind enough to leave there finished tray outside there door. That's when you know your a TRUE freight dog :rolleyes: :eek: :p :D :cool:

Tandoor
12th Jul 2002, 22:41
Simple really..... No slots, direct routing, parcels don't get drunk, don't lose passports, don't get lost in duty free etc. etc, Best of all we can carry as much fuel as we like and there's a flight engineer!!!!!!!

6076FtHigh
16th Jul 2002, 18:39
Further thoughts......

How about: no slots, cavok, winds calm, fewer delays.....

on the other hand...... nights, smaller crews, fatigue.

Overall i think the pro's outweigh the con's.

Lodestar
16th Jul 2002, 22:31
One thing tough....

Do not ask too many questions about it because you'll be out before you even know it.....;)

freightdoggy dog
19th Jul 2002, 00:58
Boxes don't wear shellsuits and the M25 is empty.

crazy_max
28th Jul 2002, 13:05
There are no Saudi's in the boxes trying to kill you and every other Christian in sight.:D

Aussiefly
1st Aug 2002, 01:02
Its easy,
No Self loading cargo means ,no delays, drunks, heart attacks or old grannies with their knickers down thinking this is a toilet!(true story)
Flying in your nice Jim Jams, always having the drink just the way you like it, the food is always hot and of course the big burley engineer to keep you out of trouble.
If only they paid the bucks!!

:D

CR2
1st Aug 2002, 10:40
Don't agree with the "no delays" though. Delaying a freighter flight in order to wait for this or that cargo that is late, is commonplace. Only thing is no pax to whinge about the delay.

BlueEagle
1st Aug 2002, 10:48
My last ten years of flying were on the B747-400, mainly pax but a small fleet, (8), of freighters.

Most relaxed time ever was on freighters. Just have to get used to the fact that no one really gives a toss about your transport etc. However, no one gives a toss if you get delayed or cause a delay.

Hard to beat Anchorage in the Spring/Summer/Autumn for a layover and probably the quickest de-icing station on the entire planet!

If I could have had the option to continue for a couple or three years on the freighters I would have jumped at it.

maxepr
11th Aug 2002, 23:59
Sometimes you are driven to/picked up from the foot of your airplanes stairs, and then delivered direct to your hotel room.

-------------------------------------------------

If you think like you always thought, you will get what you always got!

latetonite
15th Aug 2002, 18:35
be carefull to step into the night freight business! once you are in, you will be in there forever. you will never fit in another kind of flying anymore. and anyway, I doubt any other decent day company will ever want you again..

Smokie
15th Aug 2002, 19:14
Controversial !:eek:

LEFT BLANK
15th Aug 2002, 21:54
It sucks to work at night. Otherwise freight is OK.

Eurotrash
18th Aug 2002, 16:53
Best thing bout being a "vampire" is that you can sit with your crew outside cafes in the sunshine while people pass by on their mundane 9 to 5 jobs.