PDA

View Full Version : What was the first jet airliner to fly a commercial service from Leeds Bradford ?

Mooncrest
15th Apr 2016, 08:03
I'm looking for a definite correct answer to this one. The aircraft seems to have been a BAC 1-11 in any event. Some folk say it was an Aer Lingus 200-series, others say it was a British Midland 500-series. It's before my time but my money is on the former.

Thankyou.

Level bust
15th Apr 2016, 09:06
I landed at Leeds in a a BMA 1-11 on the 21st August 1970 if that is any help.

We were en-route Glasgow to East Midlands, there was also a flight via Leeds using a Viscount, which went tech, so the two flights were combined.

There was a rumour at the time we were the first jet to operate into there. I know we used the whole runway for landing, then once the Leeds passengers were off we all had to mopve forward. We then sat on the brakes at the threshold before scraping off the end.

DaveReidUK
15th Apr 2016, 10:34
LBA was one of the stops on Channel Airways' "bus-stop" service that routed Southend-Luton-EMA-Leeds-Teesside-Newcastle-Edinburgh-Aberdeen, starting in November 1967.

Although the service was normally a Viscount/748, they used a One-Eleven for the proving flight and (IIRC) on the occasional substitution.

So that's another possibility.

Mooncrest
15th Apr 2016, 10:57
Thanks folks. I knew about the Channel Scottish Flyer service and the fact they owned 1-11s. But it never occurred to me that one of these might have visited LBA. I thought they were used for the bucket and spade flights, alongside the Tridents.

The intrigue deepens !

Phileas Fogg
15th Apr 2016, 11:04
There was a L-1011 when I was there in 1985 if that helps:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4054/4429094438_d88b38f840_b.jpg

Evanelpus
15th Apr 2016, 13:41
Darn it, you beat me to it. Viscount would have been my best guess.

Mooncrest
15th Apr 2016, 13:46
We're talking between 1965 and 1970 so the infamous TriStar incident is way off.

Herod
15th Apr 2016, 14:59
There was a L-1011 when I was there in 1985 if that helps:

The "Molly McReady Rose", whoever she was. Thank goodness we on the F27 could use r/w 28. There was one enterprising ice-cream seller who made a fortune over a couple of days.

plassey1
15th Apr 2016, 20:40
The first jet to land at Lba was bac 111 of Aer Lingus. It carried the Leeds United football team from if memory serves me correct,Milan. Weather was poor and it was thought it might have to divert to Manchester . The reported an "interesting" landing.

Phileas Fogg
16th Apr 2016, 03:04
The "Molly McReady Rose", whoever she was. Thank goodness we on the F27 could use r/w 28. There was one enterprising ice-cream seller who made a fortune over a couple of days.

Herod,

I was up there riding shotgun on a Titan from NWI with spare part(s).

To coincide with the L-1011 off the end it was also the day of the MAN air disaster so LBA was a tad busier than it normally would have been.

DaveReidUK
16th Apr 2016, 06:39
The first jet to land at Lba was bac 111 of Aer Lingus. It carried the Leeds United football team from if memory serves me correct, Milan.

That certainly narrows down the possibilities.

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_F.C._in_European_football, Leeds played in European tournaments every season from 1965/66 to 1974/75 - though only once against (AC) Milan and that was the 72/73 Cup Winners' Cup final played in Greece.

If we stick with the Italian connection (excluding any possible friendlies), they played Torino in 65/66, Bologna in 66/67, Napoli in 68/69 and Juventus in 70/71 (all in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup).

Any Yorkshire aviation/football enthusiasts out there ?

Though that still doesn't help with the OP's question, which related to commercial services.

Mooncrest
16th Apr 2016, 06:43
Thankyou plassey. That's what I thought.

Phileas, you're getting your dates mixed up. All 1985 but the TriStar incident was 27th May, the Manchester 737 wasn't until August.

DaveReidUK
16th Apr 2016, 07:49
Just found Flight's report on the aforementioned Channel Airways One-Eleven route-proving flight. Took place on 9th October 1967:

https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1967/1967%20-%202044.PDF

plassey1
16th Apr 2016, 14:46
Having checked my records the Aer Lingus flight would be before September 1966.

Helen49
16th Apr 2016, 15:05
Agree with Plassey1, it was the Aer Lingus BAC1-11! [Parked on the old stand 4 in front of the BKS Hangar].

H49

Mooncrest
16th Apr 2016, 15:13
Looks like we have quorum then (if that's the right posh word). Thankyou for your replies folks.

As an aside I'm sure I've seen a photo of said aircraft at Yeadon around this time. Must check leodis.

DaveReidUK
16th Apr 2016, 15:32
Having checked my records the Aer Lingus flight would be before September 1966.

Possibly bringing Leeds United back from their goalless draw against Torino in the Fairs Cup on 6th October 1965? All four of EI's One-Elevens would have been delivered (just) by then.

That's the only Italian fixture that would fit.

Mooncrest
16th Apr 2016, 18:17
Knowing nowt about football I can't say whether or not that was a good result for either team. However, not a bad result for Sellars and Co. at LBA, getting a passenger jet on the new runway the same year it was completed. And a brand-new British-built jet as well!

Airbanda
17th Apr 2016, 21:01
The first jet airliner was, IIRC, EI-ANE of Aer Lingus. Certainly involved Leeds United and I thought their success in the Inter City Fairs Cup. Airport handbooks in the late sixties early seventies had a picture of Don Revie disembarking, possibly via the rear airstair.

I think EI were also first regular scheduled jet service with either 1-11 or 737 200 though others may have been before subbing for the regular prop types.

By 74 they were certainly only regular jet operator and that remained position until Britannia introduced IT flights to Med using Advanced 737s. Around 74/5 the Lingus flights were often operated by part cargo 737-204QC kit (EI-ASC/D) with cargo pallets being interchanged - though it was never clear what they contained

Mooncrest
18th Apr 2016, 12:19
Aer Lingus 737-200, known simply as "The Dublin Jet" in our home (forty-odd years ago). The BAC1-11 never had its own special name !

Midland 331
18th Apr 2016, 17:48
>The BAC1-11 never had its own special name !

"The Window Rattler" would probably be apt. I've read that a Midland 1-11 caused the switchboard to be jammed at Yeadon when it did a "non-noise-abatement" departure some time in the early 'seventies.

Growing up around Castle Don., I remember them in their non-hush-kitted state. Water-meth was on hand there (my dad used to collect demin. water from the local power station). I don't know if it was ever used, but it certainly sounded like it.

Phileas Fogg
19th Apr 2016, 02:12
The "Pocket Rocket"

Mooncrest
19th Apr 2016, 12:38
Dan Air operated 1-11s from LBA post-runway extension, although they weren't based. The Speys made an ear-splitting roar on RW14 departures, even with hush kits fitted. I don't know if water-meth contributed to the noise.

DH106
20th Apr 2016, 18:02
Yes, I seem to remember the Sunday EI flight was usually a 1-11, with 73's during the week. Happy (tho noisey!) days :-) Windows rattling like crazy in the Scotland Lane estate.

bean
20th Apr 2016, 19:22
1-11s did not have wayer meth. Some of them-(mostly 500s) had de mineralised water injection. Two of the 200s of Dan-Air certainly had it (originally destined for Zambia; Hot!!)

Retired Redcap
21st Apr 2016, 09:48
I have a vague memory that a Laker 1-11 operated into LBA about 1967/ 1968. Some sort of publicity tour with Diana Rigg on board.

Phileas Fogg
21st Apr 2016, 13:43
Could have been worse ... Air UK named one of their LBA based F27's after one Yorkshire 'character'!

http://www.airukreunion.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/G-STAN_SOU_May_88_Richard_Hunt_Collection.jpg

Herod
21st Apr 2016, 17:05
Phileas. Thank you for a lovely picture of a gentleman's horseless carriage. Ten years based at LBA, and 6000 hours on the Friendly.

Midland 331
21st Apr 2016, 17:32
>1-11s did not have wayer meth. Some of them-(mostly 500s) had de mineralised water injection. Two of the 200s of Dan-Air certainly had it (originally destined for Zambia; Hot!!

Ah! I didn't know of the difference. There was certainly demin. water supplied for them at Castle Don., fresh from Castle Don. Power Station.

Herod
21st Apr 2016, 19:55
Ref the Friendly. It's been a long time, and memory fades, but was that "Friendship Freddie Trueman"?

Airbanda
21st Apr 2016, 20:35
A quick investigation suggests another Yorkshireman.......

Clunk Click Every Trip.........

Phileas Fogg
22nd Apr 2016, 02:26
Ref the Friendly. It's been a long time, and memory fades, but was that "Friendship Freddie Trueman"?

Not quite Herod ... They named it "Friendship Jimmy Savile" :)

Herod
22nd Apr 2016, 12:38
SH*T. One BIG mistake. I did have Fred aboard as a passenger once, one of the very few I would consider a VIP. I would have liked an autograph, but I felt the great man deserved his privacy. Thread drift. I was flying to Frankfurt once on the F100, with Kenny Ball and the Jazzmen aboard. Doing the PA, I was tempted to say "we will be arriving in Frankfurt at ten o'clock, but of course it's midnight in Moscow". I've always regretted chickening out.

Robert E
3rd Jun 2019, 08:18
Hi, I have joined this fine forum but am truly not worthy!

Hello everyone, I'm Robert, a writer. i'm currently finishing a history book on Leeds United FC and have been advised that the BAC 1-11 was the first short range jet airline to visit Leeds Bradford Airport, as has been mentioned on here a couple of times, around 1965, and there is a photo of the BAC 1-11 EI-ANE bringing the team & officials back from a European match in 1965. Could anyone help a 'simple layman' like me please with any more simple detail to go in the book? Time is very tight indeed.

I also have another query which I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help with please, regarding another Leeds United flight which had to emergency land in Norwich (I believe) in March 1973 after the 'plane encountered some emergency. I'm told by an ex Leeds player that it was from Bucharest to Leeds and was a near disaster but kept from the media for reasons I'm unaware of.

Any help would be much appreciated and I would be delighted to credit any individusals and this website if so required.

Thank you very much for your time.

Flap40
3rd Jun 2019, 16:29
Just a point of order, the OP's question was 'what was the first jet airliner to fly a commercial service from LBA". We seem to have established that LUFC returned from Italy on a 1-11 but what did they fly out on? If the aircraft then positioned out to DUB then that would not count either.

Robert E
3rd Jun 2019, 16:34
Just a point of order, the OP's question was 'what was the first jet airliner to fly a commercial service from LBA". We seem to have established that LUFC returned from Italy on a 1-11 but what did they fly out on? If the aircraft then positioned out to DUB then that would not count either.

Hi, as far as I have found out, we think the LU chartered flight INTO LBA was actually from Budapest. I have no info on out of LBA. I have a photo of the 1-11 at LBA and the photographer at the time's note said it was the first ever to land at LBA.

lederhosen
4th Jun 2019, 20:44
My very vague memory was that the positioning flight from Leeds to Dublin (empty and with low block fuel) may have been a different matter to a pax load and a lot more fuel departing for Budapest. The outbound flight might possibly have been from Manchester. The first (semi) regular jet services I do remember were the 737 subcharters from I think Britannia to Heathrow during various railstrikes.

Airbanda
10th Jun 2019, 15:29
My very vague memory was that the positioning flight from Leeds to Dublin (empty and with low block fuel) may have been a different matter to a pax load and a lot more fuel departing for Budapest. The outbound flight might possibly have been from Manchester. The first (semi) regular jet services I do remember were the 737 subcharters from I think Britannia to Heathrow during various railstrikes.

When were those services?

Mooncrest
27th Oct 2020, 15:59
When were those services?
I don't remember either but Britannia have been known to turn up at Heathrow every now and then.