PDA

View Full Version : C208 question, air stairs

Bluemeaway
14th Apr 2016, 20:59
Anyone here know what the max pax weight is for using the air stairs.

They sure do creak when a 160kg behemoth stands on them...

Not in Poh. Anyone know this one??

Hasherucf
14th Apr 2016, 21:14
Everything creaks when you put massive pax in them. Reason why I have repaired so many seats in the past.

RadioSaigon
15th Apr 2016, 01:41
If the pogo-stick under the tail starts to bend, it's probably enough weight on the stairs

;-)

AmarokGTI
15th Apr 2016, 11:56
What's the max weight per seat?

Massey058
15th Apr 2016, 13:33
What's the max weight per seat?
Cessna being typically vague don't provide a definitive answer. However in both the legacy and updated G1000 POH there is a table in Section 6 for the typical commuter seating (single and double bench) that goes up to 300 lbs - so 136 kg. Those seats are of a similar construction to the pilot seats and having seen how those fare in fatal accidents I'd say 136 kg seems sound to use as a maximum weight.

As for the utility seats, horrible fiddly things that they are, well there is no mention but I'm sure nothing close to 136 kg.

Massey058
15th Apr 2016, 13:37
As for the OP, my only anecdotal evidence is that when a strut pops off then you've exceeded the maximum design load.

AmarokGTI
15th Apr 2016, 23:55
Cessna being typically vague don't provide a definitive answer. However in both the legacy and updated G1000 POH there is a table in Section 6 for the typical commuter seating (single and double bench) that goes up to 300 lbs - so 136 kg. Those seats are of a similar construction to the pilot seats and having seen how those fare in fatal accidents I'd say 136 kg seems sound to use as a maximum weight.

As for the utility seats, horrible fiddly things that they are, well there is no mention but I'm sure nothing close to 136 kg.

Cheers. The A/C I fly have a published seat weight limit.
I thought if there was a clear seat limit then that might be a good guide for for OPs steps question too, ie if you can sit on the seat you must be able to get in somehow.

Car RAMROD
16th Apr 2016, 11:08
Whilst probably nowhere near an absolute correct answer, could you backwards work a rough seat limit via the floor loading intensity and the attachment footprint of the seat?

2EggOmelette
18th Apr 2016, 15:31
I asked that very question a few years ago of my then chief pilot. None of us could find an answer. Our Ops manual stated 1 person on the stairs at any time (common sense I guess) and the engineers seemed to think it would not support much more weight than the seats were designed to. Having said that, I took some Welsh forwards for a flight once, and those lads were bloody huge, I mean really huge - well over 120kg each and the stairs coped OK, so go figure, lol.