PDA

View Full Version : What is this "Concorde" thing?

RacingSnake
13th Apr 2016, 18:41
Hi Guys,
Does anybody know what these are? (we have 3 of them).
They were "just" ornaments, so no idea what they are!
Thanks in advance!!! :ok:

Stanwell
13th Apr 2016, 18:49
A supersonic paperweight - stops your documents blowing away at mach2. :cool:

Wookey
13th Apr 2016, 18:55
In the early days, if you were lucky enough to travel Concorde on scheduled, they had some very nice Concord branded gifts. I suspect this might be one of them?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Apr 2016, 09:57
I've spent years close to and in and around G-BOAC and I don't recognise that as any part of the aeroplane. As gas been suggested, perhaps it's a promotional gift?

Terry McCassey
14th Apr 2016, 10:32
Stamped as they are - certainly not an aircraft part. I think they were given to the passengers so they might guess, between LHR and JFK - exactly what they were !

RacingSnake
14th Apr 2016, 19:50
Thanks guys - well, a little more of the story has emerged - they were 'CD tower' tops - or rather they were perched on the 3 pillars of a CD tower.... we had made the assumption that someone just placed them there, but part of me thinks now they're supposed to be there?!!

Herod
14th Apr 2016, 20:20
RacingSnake. I suspect the CD tower tops are really imaginative ideas. My guess goes along with stanwell. Paperweights, to take to the office with you to impress the "lower echelons". Hollow to save weight (yes, I know, a "weight-saving paperweight")

onetrack
15th Apr 2016, 00:11
The objects are certainly curious. Their shape and design seems odd for them to be paperweights.

RacingSnake - What material are they made from? Are they aluminium? One would never expect a paperweight to be made from aluminium - and hollowed-out aluminium at that.
Perhaps they were originally solid, and the hollowing-out was later carried out by a machinist, to enable the paperweights to be utilised as tops for the CD tower.

All of the metal BA Concorde pax "gifts" or "souvenirs" I have uncovered, all appear to be sterling silver, with hallmarks to prove their silver standard.