PDA

View Full Version : ATPL sitttings in UK

Muszti
13th Apr 2016, 10:51
Hi everyone
How many days is one sitting in UK for ATPL ?
i know only we get 18 months and six sitting to pass all 14 of the exams.
For example
May i get IFR/VFR on monday, GNAV on tuesday, RNAV on wednesday in one week and it will only be one sitting or 3 sitting ?

paco
13th Apr 2016, 12:56
That would be one sitting

phil

EC DKN
13th Apr 2016, 16:15
You have 4 sittings for each exam and 6 sittings in total! So after the sittings you will have (in case not first time pass), 3 sittings for each subject you took and 5 in total!

By the way, is the same system in all EASA world and it works like the EASA PPL but 14 subjects instead of 9! ;)

paco
13th Apr 2016, 16:48
No, you don't. You have 6 sittings (or sessions), and 4 attempts at each exam.

phil

EC DKN
13th Apr 2016, 17:00
Is what I said! Well obviously that one sitting (when you count the 6 sittings in total) it counts per week! So if your exams are between 22-26 (for instance) those days it will count as 1 sitting (on the sum of 6 sittings) but you will lose 1 sitting for each subject you are sitting!

It's like the EASA PPL system!

paco
14th Apr 2016, 04:24
Why do you lose 1 sitting for each subject? Do you mean attempt?

Phil

ersa
14th Apr 2016, 04:35
If your exams are 22-26 as you say, thats counted has 1 sitting , so its up to you to take as many exams as you can.

Each exam you take is counted as an attempt (so 3 per subject )

you have six sittings, before passing or starting again

keith williams
14th Apr 2016, 08:31
I think that you guys both correct in what you intended to say, but you appear to be misunderstanding each other.

Candidates start with 6 sittings available. Each sitting lasts for the duration of one examination week. Each exam can be attempted only once during a given sitting.
All 14 exams must be passed within the six sittings.

Within the 6 sittings candidates are permitted a maximum of 4 attempts at each of the 14 exams.

When for example, a candidate has used up the first three sittings, he/she has only three sitting left. This means that for any exams not attempted during these first three sittings, there is now only 3 attempts left. If a candidate were to use up all 6 sittings without attempting one or more of the exams, he/she would have no attempts left for those exams.

The bottom line is that candidates are constrained by whichever limit they hit first ( 6 sittings or 4 attempts at each exam).

If all 14 exam have not been successfully taken (passed) with the limits of 6 sittings and/or 4 attempts, then all passes are lost and the entire exam sequence must be started again.

EC DKN
14th Apr 2016, 08:49
Yes Paco, sorry attempt! Keith Williams has explained perfectly! ;)

BillieBob
14th Apr 2016, 12:40
Well, after all that, the actual answer to the original question is 10 days.

keith williams
14th Apr 2016, 13:23
Billibob, you are correct in that the published definition of the duration of a sitting is 10 days. My post was based on the old paper exam system where all subjects were conducted between Monday and Thursday within a week. But for practical purposes the 10 day duration does not appear to be usable.

The CAA website defines a sitting as a period during which exams may be taken. It also lists all of these periods for the current year. Each period is 4 days long and consecutive periods are separated by more than 10 days. So while the legal definition of a sitting may be 10 days, people actually wishing to take the exams need to look a little closer.

paco
14th Apr 2016, 15:44
Thanks, Keith, as ever a clear explanation! :)

Phil