View Full Version : CX hiring in the Phils

1515Blue
26th Jun 2002, 13:16
CX is actively recruiting guys from the Philippines to fly FO on the -200 freighter. they plan to base guys in Manila. Is this something to look into or is this a big NO NO...
comments and reactions very welcome

1515Blue
26th Jun 2002, 19:21
frank g,
i heard about it through cx themselves. they called and asked me to update my application which i last updated three years ago. by no no i just want to make sure i don't cross any picket lines, there is a ban right??

ironbutt57
27th Jun 2002, 10:18
still got it...

Girl Flying School
27th Jun 2002, 16:25
CX has already hired Malaysian S/Os, so Fillipino crew are not that far fetched. When a new COS comes along in their mail box they will accept it with a smile. Anything here is still far better than MAS or PAL!

The Rage
28th Jun 2002, 15:43
Well gentlemen im not sure how many Malaysian's have joined but just last week a young lad with the national carrier tendered in his resignation to join CX, not a very good move at the moment. I'm one of those who would love to join but not till they sort out their problems and i can say that alot of my coleagues feel the same way. I personally feel that the pilot community should stick together or one day u would be in the same position as this chaps in CX. Hang in there im sure alot more better oppurtunities would come along once the dispute is settled.

6feetunder
2nd Jul 2002, 14:00
Interviews are taking place this week. One of CXs Captains is in MNL conducting them. Probably not a member of the AOA.

Obsolete Observer
3rd Jul 2002, 09:07
But where will poor old 411a get his slave labour from if CX starts recruiting locals.......:p

Airport Train
3rd Jul 2002, 16:15
When a new COS comes along in their mail box they will accept it with a smile. Anything here is still far better than MAS or PAL!

So, you are saying they have a **** contract at their present employer because of their present attitude, so lets take it to another.( Rocket science!@!!!) One day you will wake up to the problem.

Thankfully the Phil ALPA are backing HKALPA and anyone joining CX against the Ban will be known.

Like I say, It doesn't matter if you agree. It exists.
The names of the present scabs are about to appear on ALPA's Scab website. Moan all you like. It's happening. Live with it.

BMM389EC
3rd Jul 2002, 20:16
Airport Train...which website is that?

BlueEagle
3rd Jul 2002, 22:39
Sorry, PPRuNe is NO PLACE for 'scab lists', as you call them, any reference to it here will be removed and, since you have now been warned, the offender will lose their posting privileges on this forum.

There are no excuses. Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen.

Blue Eagle - Moderator.

NOFAULT
3rd Jul 2002, 23:12
Well all I can say is that most of the pilot's must get a real job and then bitch about that. At the moment all live in a make believe world.

6feetunder
4th Jul 2002, 01:22
So Blue Eagle, is this a Professional Pilot's Rumour Network or a coffee clatch. Professionals do not scab, only scabs do. Take your pick.

BlueEagle
4th Jul 2002, 02:09
As I have already pointed out, PPRuNe is not the place to publish a 'scab' list, if you don't like that then you have the option to leave PPRuNe, it is up to you. To make things absolutely clear, the rules of PPRuNe state that, there shall be, "No reference to, Links to or details of" scab lists.

Danny has already pointed out that posters on PPRuNe have to abide by the rules if they want to use it.

It has been suggested that I may have taken sides in this matter, absolutely not the case, have never worked within Australian aviation or CX management and have no bias one way or the other.

Anyone who wishes to argue this point is welcome to email Capt. PPRuNe. Indeed, they will have to as I don't plan to spend much more time on it, the rule has been in place for seven years and is not going to change now.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

strikerA320
5th Jul 2002, 18:31
CX started their interview last July 3. Most of the guys that were called for the interview either came from the pilots union (who are still on strike after 4 yrs.) or scabs presently laboring for Phil Airlines. The Union came out with the memo regarding the HKAOA hiring ban. The union member pilots have been out of job for more than 4 years, still upholding their Principles; with families suffering. These union pilots are not going to cross HKAOA's line, on the other hand those scabs who went back to PhilAirlines will cross another union picket line AGAIN ! You guys in Hkg should do something about this !:mad:

Wizofoz
5th Jul 2002, 23:50
In other words the ban will HURT guys who agree with your cause, while ADVANTAGING people willing to defy you.

Time to reconsider guys!!!

6feetunder
6th Jul 2002, 00:13
wiz, why do you even care? I mean really, what's it to you?

middle
6th Jul 2002, 00:24
StrikerA320
see my email. We can help.

Wizofoz
6th Jul 2002, 04:09
So, not my problem so I should shut up and let the HKAOA get on with treading on people?

Your actions are unjust and ineffective. They only serve to hurt others (both those that don't come to Cathay AND those that do) without any chance of achieveing your aims.

Tell me 6foot, do YOU believe the ban will get the 49ers re-employed? Do YOU think it is to ANYONES benefit to have people joining who are ineligable to join your union and will always have animosity (reciprocated!) towards you? Do YOU think pilots for whom a job with Cathay would be a major step up are not justified to fell angry that their oppertunities are being curtailed if they choose not to defy the ban?

If the answers are yes you shouldn't care if peolple dissagree with you. If no, just maybe it is embarassing to you to constantly have the futility of you current stategy constantly pointed out to you.

mole
6th Jul 2002, 05:46
Wizo

ATFQ

PeterZee
6th Jul 2002, 08:22
mole

RTFA

I think he did answer why, in the first line....whatever wiz's motivation, whatever his position, h&ll even if he's CX management, it doesn't really change the fact that his statement contains logic. Disagree if you like but shooting the messenger seems a bit silly.

But the ban isn't the real story from what I'm hearing. If the rumour mill is to be believed, the real stumbling block to the re-starting of negotiations is the present AOA prez. Just the latest whisper, but the word is that if ND is replaced in the election, management will come back to the table.

6feetunder
6th Jul 2002, 08:51
Yes you should.

Unjust and ineffective in your eyes.

I don't care if people disagree with me but you continue to ask the same thing time after time. Are you like Bart Simpson, asking the same question until you get the answer you like?

The ban has been in place for 9 months now. Do you think that is going to change without some sort of resolution regarding the reason for implementing it? The members of the AOA are asking people not to join CX. Asking nice obviously wouldn't work so some incentive is needed. Negative reinforcement in the form of the IFALPA ban is an available tool so they chose to use it.

The objective of the union is to protect it's members interests, not new hires. That means keeping as many on the property as possible. That means doing the job while continuing to apply pressure in other ways. If you think for one minute CX wouldn't be on the street taking in DE captains because their FOs decided not to take the upgrade you have no idea who we are dealing with. They have already denied promotion to pilots with even a hint of a "loyalty problem", dozens of pilots. Some think this is a tactic leading to "we don't have enough to promote from within so we are hiring DE Capts and FOs as of now". It's part of the over all attack on the entire seniority system that a certain manager wants eliminated, he has stated so.

So you see some tools are available and some aren't. Industrial relations in HK are difficult. The union is doing it's best in a very hostile environment. So you see wiz the ban isn't going anywhere, learn to live with it. There are a lot of things that aren't fair in this world, maybe this is one of them. Personally I don't want to sit beside anyone that would go against it so I don't have a problem with it.

middle
6th Jul 2002, 09:16
PZ,
So we let management pick OUR union leader? mmm...

I'm afraid your sources are purveyers of duff gen Pete. Through the probes NJD has offered to withdraw if that will bring a settlement. Answer... deafening silence.

The fact is that management has bad mouthed every Union president we've ever had. Standard industrial posturing. No, Nigel isn't the problem here. Mr T is.

PeterZee
6th Jul 2002, 18:52
middle,

Standard "he said, she said" stuff, I'm only repeating what I heard. I guess then there are several CX pilots who are unwitting purveyors of false rumours, doesn't exactly flatter their intelligence but there it is.

My remarks weren't to slag ND, no he isn't the "problem", if there were a way to verify what you say of his offering to resign it would certainly erase what I've been hearing...

And as far as the ban/no ban, of course the union is expected to act in it's own best interests. 6 under, if you re-read wiz' argument several times, slowly, you may realize the point being made is that maybe, just maybe, the ban is NOT in the best interests of the everluvin' AOA...but if you believe it is, hey then congrats on sticking to it! I've always said, the best moral convictions to have are the ones that don't take any effort to exercise. And heck, it's only been nine months, gotta give these things some time... Plus, in the interim it's jolly good sport to call the new hires in the middle of the night, wot?!

Quite frankly, (frankg-ly?) this has all been covered ad nauseum. I'll check back in another nine months to see what stunning gains the IFALPA ban has reaped....good luck to yer!

ironbutt57
8th Jul 2002, 11:38
striker320....are you proud your family is suffering? Talaga?..

Al E. Vator
9th Jul 2002, 00:02
ironbutt.......that was a silly comment. Some people have done it very hard in the Philipines and comments like that do not elp. You may have your own agenda and you certainly have every right to broadcast your views (which you do monotonously) but rubbing others noses in their misfortune is unneccessary and unkind.

6feetunder
9th Jul 2002, 00:13
What he said!!