PDA

View Full Version : Which is easier to get Australian or Kiwi Instrument Rating

weloveseaplanes
11th Apr 2016, 23:48
Hi all,

Would appreciate some advice on the most efficient way to obtain an IR for VFR operations in a 3rd world country . . .

Have been flying in some 3rd world countries for over 8 years. For a new job in another 3rd world country have been asked to get an Instrument Rating. The 3rd world country has a poor aviation infrastructure and no flying schools and few established instrument approved airports. The company doesn't mind which IR I obtain and as the operations are all VFR it is slightly academic anyway. They just want their pilots to hold an IR which we do not use.

So the question is how best to get the IR . . .

I hold both an Australian CPL and a Kiwi CPL.
Neither are current - last flew commercial in Australia and NZ over 8 years ago.

Have been told to get a kiwi IR the procedure is
- medical > CPL law > BFR > 3 Instrument theory exams > IR flight test

Have been told that the Ozzie process has
- no need to sit CPL law
- and only 1 IR theory exam

Is the above summary accurate thanks?
If so it seems to make it much quicker to get an Australian IR than a kiwi one . . ?

Cheers :)

ForkTailedDrKiller
12th Apr 2016, 00:44
Having held both at various times, I would have said its much of a muchness!

Dr

Arm out the window
12th Apr 2016, 01:19
Aussie instrument rating under Part 61 needs 50 hrs cross country PIC (not a problem I'd imagine) and 40 hours instrument flying (would have some from your licence training I'd assume, but rest would need to be made up in a course of training).

There's only the one exam (IREX) but you also need to:
*undergo training for the rating,
*pass the flight test
*meet the aeronautical experience requirements as above

See CASR Part 61.M if you haven't already.

Lapon
12th Apr 2016, 01:33
The OZ exam covers much the same stuff as the three NZ ones, although its one big exam rathet than three small ones split up.
If I was after an IR as a mere formality Id shop around and focus on who has the best price, closely followed by who can plausibly can get it done in a shorter time frame (instructor, exam and aircraft availability etc).

weloveseaplanes
12th Apr 2016, 03:03
Hi all.

Thanks very much for your replies. Am very blessed that the company is paying for the training. Their requirement is much as Lapon surmised "who can plausibly can get it done in a shorter time frame."

One last question if I may . . . if your Australian CPL has not been used in the last 5 years, are you required to resit the CPL Law theory exam before you can again use it as you are required in NZ?

Thanks again fellow birds of a feather :)

weloveseaplanes
12th Apr 2016, 03:12
No need to answer the above question thanks folks.

Emailed CASA and they replied within 21 minutes :

"Once a full exam credit has been achieved they do not need to be resat."

It is incredible service to get a written response within just 21 minutes.

Well done and thanks CASA!

:ok: