PDA

View Full Version : Coming In From The Cold: H to A

C20 Overture
11th Apr 2016, 14:07
Perhaps a few with well informed knowledge may be willing to give a bit of advice...

Helicopter pilot (EASA, TC, FAA CPL(H), plus ATPL(H) theory, 3000hrs PIC) looking to convert to fixed wing (preferably during days off from touring job).

Requirements (I am told): 5 bridging exams plus 100hrs F/W

Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:

1) Groundschool provider for the 5 bridging exams. Slate notes (from iTunes) plus question bank plus short course with local ATO, OR bridging course with CAPT etc.

2) PPL(A). Best to do it locally or should I be looking at a few specific schools given the end goal is to get CPL(A) plus MEIR? Do any of the well known course providers (e.g. FTE, CAE etc) offer PPL(A) courses that keep one eye on CPL(A)?

3) Hour building. Is it still best to go overseas save a bit? Any place in particular? Any advice for this section of the training? i.e. should the MEIR, night flying etc be incorporated into these hours?

4) Best place to do the modular EASA CPL(A) course?

Thank you in advance.

taybird
13th Apr 2016, 22:31
For the theory, I recommend CATS. They teach both A and H so they know how you work already, and how best to get you through what you need.

For the flight training, recommendations depend on where you are based. I have personal experience of both Central Flight Training (Tatenhill) and Command Pilot Training (Coventry). Both are advanced flight training schools with lots of experience in dealing with bespoke situations such as yourself. They can also recommend the best place for you to do your PPL(A) with your planned conversion in mind. You could do worse than Leicester for your PPL(A).

These recommendations are Midlands focussed, with the exception of the ground school. I am sure that there are other equally good schools elsewhere, which might suit you better if these aren't geographically convenient.

Good luck!

Gordon Bennet
14th Apr 2016, 04:21
You need to check that the TK school concerned can specifically teach bridging courses - they are separate from the proper ATPL courses.

Unless you can self-certify you need an ATO, so you may as well do a proper course.

The slate notes are good, but not the best for your purposes. Aviation exam would be the best database to use.

I heard on the recruitment grapevine that CATS have stopped taking students, although that may refer to full timers.

You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

G