PDA

View Full Version : Tamworth get together on Tuesday 12 April

Dick Smith
11th Apr 2016, 00:35
I will be flying to Tamworth tomorrow with Ken Cannane and Bill Hamilton and others - for the get together/ protest being organised by Ben Morgan of Aviation Advertiser.

The media is attending and the politicians have been invited.

Why not jump in your plane and make a quick trip. See you there from about 11

Capn Bloggs
11th Apr 2016, 02:58
Wear your flak-jacket, Dick, I'll be there with my sharpened index finger! Warn Bill too. :ok:

PS: "It's an aeroplane, Laddie, planes shave wood".

Stationair8
11th Apr 2016, 03:06
Bummer, hope Tamworth ATC on the ball on Tuesday!

wishiwasupthere
11th Apr 2016, 03:13
Clearance not available. :}

Dick Smith
11th Apr 2016, 03:14
Bloggs. It will be really good to have you as the lone person supporting CASA and " no change"

Ben will be able to show the media where some of the problems come from!

aviationadvertiser
11th Apr 2016, 03:20
WE NEED YOUR HELP.
TAMWORTH MEDIA EVENT

Dear Australian Aviation Industry Supporters,

Over this past weekend, I sent the valued customers and users of the Aviation Advertiser Australian network, a copy of a letter submitted to the Hon Barnaby Joyce MP. My letter detailed a brief summary of the desperate state of the small to medium sized aviation industry across Australia and our call for the Australian Government to provide fast and broad de-regulation and reform.

Our industry is at a cross-road. The hard working men and women within aviation are being forced out of business, through an unrealistic regulatory framework imposed on them by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority. A regulatory framework, that fails to provide a fair and equitable balance between aviation safety and enterprise opportunity.

Should the situation within the aviation industry persist, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority will have committed the small to medium sized aviation industry to total failure. And, in doing so, will force thousands of Australians out of work and many into bankruptcy.

The effects will be felt deeply by remote and regional communities, whom rely on the small to medium sized aviation industry. Disconnecting communities and townships from vital commerce and links to the regional city centres.

The future of our industry, our rights to fly and aircraft ownership are now at stake.

To communicate the desperate situation our industry is enduring, I and representatives of Australia’s leading peak-bodies and associations will be meeting at Tamworth Regional Airport, Tuesday 12th April 2016 at 11am to 1pm - Hangar 6. During this meeting, we will provide the attending media with an overview of the situation and an opportunity to Q&A our panel.

Along with media, we have invited Mr Tony Windsor, whom is challenging the Hon Barnaby Joyce MP, for the seat of New England at the upcoming federal election this year.

As a pilot, aircraft owner and aviation business participant I call on those of you who can fly to Tamworth Regional Airport to take part in this event. I and the Australian aviation industry need your support at this time. Help us send a message to the Australian Government.

I am providing a complimentary BBQ lunch for those attending, which will start from approx 12:40 onward.

If you are based in the New England electorate, please feel free to pass this email onto fellow aviation businesses and supporters.

Should you have any questions, please contact me on 041557724

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser
Mobile: 0415 577 724

--------------------------------

INFORMATION REGARDING THE EVENT

We are holding a rally at Hangar 6, Tamworth Regional Airport, Tamworth NSW 2350, Australia, Tuesday 11am-1pm. This event will be attended by;

Mr Benjamin Morgan – CEO of Aviation Advertiser – Australia
Mr Dick Smith AC
Representatives of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
Representatives of the Recreational Aviation Australia Inc
Representatives of the AMROBA
Aviation Businesses of the New England Electorate
Private Pilots and Aircraft Owners of the New England Electorate

OBJECTIVE OF EVENT: To communicate to the Australian Government and the electorate of New England the dire state of the small to medium sized aviation industry and the need for immediate and broad regulatory reform (see letter to Hon Barnaby Joyce MP).

This event will be an opportunity for the media within the New England electorate to engage with Aviation Industry leaders and to Q&A them with regard to the dire situation within the small to medium sized aviation industry.

For further information, contact;

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Chief Executive - Aviation Advertiser Digital Group

Telephone: (02) 8215 6292
Mobile: 0415 577 724
Email: [email protected]

Mailing Address:
PO BOX 465
Edgecliff NSW 2027
Australia.

Arm out the window
11th Apr 2016, 04:13
Watch out none of those ex military bastards turn up!

Capn Bloggs
11th Apr 2016, 04:31
Very clever Dick, melding regulation reform with your airspace wish-list (I know you haven't said as much yet, but I'll betcha it happens). I assume you will explain to the assembled masses how much the transponder impost of your Class E crusade (which will not doubt, be down to 700ft AGGGL at Tamworth) will cost the average regional lighty pilot, not to mention the extra funding for more controllers to provide the separation service?

Ben, I see you are posting here. Please make sure Dick produces his Cost-Benefit analysis for Class E airspace. He (and others like Bill) has been vociferous in their condemnation of CASA for not supplying one for ADS-B, but they refuse to do so for Class E. Double-standards, methinks?

truthinbeer
11th Apr 2016, 04:58
Careful Mike Baird does not use his newly minted anti-protest laws to lock you up for 7 years. :ooh:

Horatio Leafblower
11th Apr 2016, 05:53
If it's inside the Hangar 6 lease, it's on private property and organised by a co-lessee. :ok:

Capn Bloggs
11th Apr 2016, 06:20
Does that mean if I do some chest-poking in that hangar am I committing a state or federal offence of strict unreliability, or whatever it's called?

truthinbeer
11th Apr 2016, 08:10
...it's on private property

That's precisely the place where the legislation has been written for. It is designed to prevent landowners (farmers) from blocking mining and drilling companies from accessing their land. It is the first nail in the coffin of freedom of speech and ability to protest, turning us into a police state (no disrespect to the boys in blue, they didn't make the legislation) not dissimilar to some 3rd world dictatorships.

I can't believe the populace are not marching in the streets. You serve less time for murder.

That's what happens when you allow a banker (yes, I said banker) to run your government.

Apologies for OT.

Checklist Charlie
11th Apr 2016, 08:13
Watch out none of those ex military bastards turn up!

No worries, they will be all down at BAe poncing around as if they were still military.

CC

Lead Balloon
11th Apr 2016, 11:40
Serious question: Who seriously believes that people with serious commitments can drop everything to fly to Tamworth with less than a couple of days' notice? Seriously.

Lookleft
11th Apr 2016, 11:54
It sounds like it will be an interesting day. On the one hand we have a current CEO who wants to bring to the attention of the public and the pollies the woeful state of regulatory reform in civil aviation and how it is strangling the industry ( a good message to bring to the pollies attention); on the other hand we have a prominent business person who wants to bring to the attention of the public and the pollies his ideas of the woeful state of airspace reform (been going on about it for 25 years) and how it is strangling the industry.

The best way to get nothing done is to have a mixed message going out to the public and the pollies and to demonstrate disunity and self interest. In the middle of all this will be well known pprune identities pontificating about their vast experience of flying heavy metal and how Don Bennett being ex-military knew absolutely nothing about civil aviation.

As I said an interesting day.:)

aviationadvertiser
11th Apr 2016, 12:57
Industry Supporters,

I appreciate that the notice for this event is extremely tight and I apologise that I did not have more time to get he message out earlier. I understand that a great number of the industry would have liked to have attended in person.

That said, this will not be the only event organised. Rather, this is the first step forward, with more events planned across Australia. I am determined to elevate the concerns our industry have into the national debate. To this I am committed.

I would like to publicly convey my sincere thanks and appreciation to the thousands of industry participants whom have reached out by email to make contact with me, endorsing my efforts. Thank you also to the ongoing support of our advertisers and customers, without your support, none of this would be possible.

As a pilot, aircraft owner and aviation business owner, I too am concerned for our industry. I would like to see a regulatory framework established that provides a balance between aviation safety and enterprise opportunity. A framework that encourages investment and innovation.

I am determined to establish a range of meetings with the Australian Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Transport, so as to communicate our concerns and to work with Government to help find viable solutions.

I will keep you all posted on our progress tomorrow and will post an update with photos etc.

If in the meantime there are individuals or businesses wishing to become involved in helping organise and coordinate advocacy events and activities, please reach out and make contact. It would be great to discuss ways in which we can extend our coverage into all states of Australia.

Thank you again.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Aviation Advertiser – Australia

gerry111
11th Apr 2016, 16:25
"Serious question: Who seriously believes that people with serious commitments can drop everything and fly to Tamworth with less than a couple of day's notice? Seriously."

I'm thinking that with Dick and Bill there, you'd be rather unlikely to get a word in anyway, Lead Balloon.

I saw that sort of thing all those years ago, attending AOPA meetings at Temora; Moree; Narromine and finally Murray Bridge.

(But I'll never forget the fun of popping a cork on a bottle of red over the upper Hunter Valley in 2000 with Boyd Munro in his Navajo en-route Moree via Armidale.)

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Apr 2016, 03:42
So, how did your meeting go?

Any 'initial' feedback??

Cheers :ok:

Lookleft
12th Apr 2016, 04:08
Dick will be asleep Griffo as he was still posting on pprune at 2:30 this morning!

Dick Smith
12th Apr 2016, 05:41
Great meeting. Congratulations to 37 year old Ben Morgan.

Lots of interesting speakers and not one mention of airspace by anyone!

Good media attention. People there included those from the office of Barnaby Joyce ( Barnaby was in Western Australia) and Tony Windsor.

Lookleft
12th Apr 2016, 08:09
Lots of interesting speakers and not one mention of airspace by anyone!

I congratulate you on your restraint Dick.:D

aviationadvertiser
12th Apr 2016, 09:53
I am assembling a press-release covering the event and outcomes and will post this as soon as possible.

In the meantime - a quick overview...

Many thanks must go to AOPA, RAAUS, AMROBA and Dick Smith whom attended and stood together in the call for rapid and broad regulatory reform. It was great to see everyone shoulder to shoulder on the call to government.

Thank you Dick for providing transport for the association representatives, it was appreciated and valued.

Media coverage within the New England electorate has been fantastic, with all outlets taking a serious interest in the issues discussed. TV, Newspaper and Radio have all helped elevate the discussion.

We also received the support of a range of pilots, aircraft owners and aviation business owners whom attended from various townships to show support for the call for reform. I am still receiving emails and phone calls offering support from right across the country.

Importantly, a sincere thank you must be given to Hon Barnaby Joyce MP, for taking the time to discuss the issues via telephone (as he was in Western Australia for a cabinet meeting) and for giving a direct undertaking to now move forward with a meeting with the PM and the Department of Infrastructure.

I would also like to thank Mr Tony Windsor and his staff, who were in attendance to hear the concerns presented. Mr Windsor spoke briefly in support of the aviation industry. He and his office have invited us to present to them a more detailed submission.

Today was a start and by no means is the end of our efforts to build awareness. Lots of hard-work ahead.

More to come with the press-release tomorrow.

Capn Bloggs
13th Apr 2016, 01:01
It's in the paper so it must be true!

http://s26.postimg.org/67vume3ex/Flightrisk.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Ben, what was Dick's response when you asked him about the VFR transponder impost in his to-be-introduced E airspace, and the extra millions cost to industry for controllers?

aviationadvertiser
13th Apr 2016, 02:24
Flight risk: Dick Smith warning: ‘I’ll support Windsor'

By Rebecca Belt
April 12, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

[/URL][URL="http://twitter.com/share?url=http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/3843342/flight-risk-dick-smith-warning-ill-support-windsor/&text=Flight%20risk:%20Dick%E2%80%88Smith%20warning:%20%E2%80 %98I%E2%80%99ll%20support%20Windsor%27&via=The_NDL"] (https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http://www.northerndailyleader.com.au/story/3843342/flight-risk-dick-smith-warning-ill-support-windsor/)

http://nnimgt-a.akamaihd.net/transform/v1/crop/frm/storypad-Gh2LLJN5ZAAiRUxkHxKdH7/911fd598-2bfd-4c15-b516-f811a347f873.jpg/r0_0_3107_1809_w1200_h678_fmax.jpgSTAND STRONG: Dick Smith urges politicians to be tough and stand up to bureaucrats for the future of the aviation industry. Photo: Barry Smith

PROMINENT Australian businessman Dick Smith has thrown down the gauntlet to Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, vowing to back his rival, Tony Windsor, if he doesn’t take urgent action to deregulate the small- to medium-sized aviation industry.

A meeting of aviation industry representatives in Tamworth yesterday heard smaller aviation businesses had five years left if the industry wasn’t reformed and deregulated.

Aviation Advertiser chief executive Benjamin Morgan organised the meeting at Tamworth Regional Airport as a call to action for the industry as a federal election looms.

Mr Morgan had previously written to MPs, pushing for changes to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s regulatory framework.

“Excessive regulations are forcing operators to the wall,” he told the meeting.
“As an industry, we are almost unanimous as to where the problems stem from.”

He said this was forcing a wipeout of the industry.

“Our industry is in decline because both Labor and Liberal governments have failed at almost every level at providing a regulatory framework that allows for growth and prosperity,” he said.

Mr Morgan wants MPs to sit with those in the aviation industry and make wide-ranging and rapid regulatory reform.

“We only have about five years before there is so much damage done that it hits the tipping point and we can’t repair it,” he said.

He said those impacted the most would be regional and remote communities that had small to medium aviation operators as their link.

Mr Smith said New England MP Barnaby Joyce could be the industry’s saviour.

He said there were a range of prohibitive regulations for pilots of light aircraft, such as mandatory inspections for Cessnas that had owners investing more than what the aircraft were worth.

Mr Smith said he blamed the National Party for allowing bureaucrats to bring in these regulations through CASA, but said he was impressed with Transport Minister Darren Chester.

“Previously, ministers have been not tough enough and have been manipulated by bureaucrats, but I’m hoping Darren won’t be manipulated by bureaucrats,” he said.

“It’s almost at the point where it’s not saveable, but I’m hoping Barnaby will be ruthless and fire a few people and put some good people in. If they do nothing in the next four or five months, I’m going to come up and support Tony Windsor.”

Mr Windsor said industry representatives needed to find points of unity and use them to advance their position.

“It is time that all interested parties sit at the table to develop workable solutions to enable this vital industry to prosper, and crucially, to stimulate regional development,” he said.

Mr Joyce was at a cabinet meeting in Perth and could not attend the meeting, but welcomed the aviation industry to Tamworth.

“I'm eager to support an industry that contributes vital employment and facilitates business in regional communities,” Mr Joyce said.

Jabawocky
13th Apr 2016, 11:02
Nice YAK ;);):ok::ok::D:D

Would be a hoot to fly :}

Capn Bloggs
13th Apr 2016, 11:26
"Yak"s right...

LeadSled
14th Apr 2016, 08:20
Folks,
One of the speakers was a trustee of the National Party.

Having introduced himself as such, he made a very public statement calling on the Minister to legislate adoption of the Forsyth Report, as it is unlikely ( to say the least) that CASA will effectively adopt the meat of the Forsyth recommendations.

Tootle pip!!

gerry111
14th Apr 2016, 11:28
"One of the speakers was a trustee of the National Party."

No doubt, he will get the regulatory reform sorted..

Horatio Leafblower
14th Apr 2016, 22:23
No doubt, he will get the regulatory reform sorted..

I think that's certain. Just look at what the National Party has done for aviation in the last 20 years - John Sharp, John Anderson, Mark Vaile, Warren Truss.

What could possibly go wrong?

Checklist Charlie
15th Apr 2016, 01:54
I think that's certain. Just look at what the National Party has done for aviation in the last 20 years - John Sharp, John Anderson, Mark Vaile, Warren Truss.

What could possibly go wrong?

And look who has been the puppet master pulling their strings since mid 2009.

CC