PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for EASA check-ride in the US?

Transsonic2000
10th Apr 2016, 15:36
Hi,

Situation: EASA ATP exams done.
Next, preparation for EASA CPL/IR checkride (multi).
I also hold a FAA CPL/IR (ASEL & AMEL) but I'm not current, it's been a couple of years since my last flight. I hold a CFI/II as well (did FIRC to maintain it).

Due to the expensive charter rates in Europe (multi-engine €500 to €600 hr + landing fees / single engine (e.g C172) around €250 to €300 hr) and the fact that I haven't been flying for a couple of years, I sure need a few additional hours to get back to speed again (and to be ready to take/pass the EASA checkride). This would be quite an expensive affair here in Europe, so I'm thinking of doing this in the US, could combine this with a flight review and IPC to get my FAA Cert. current again. I'm aware that the EASA checkride "must" (?) be done in Europe, but I believe the preparation could be done in the US?

If there are peolpe on here who did it this way, I'd appreciate if you could share your experience and/or give me some advise. Thanks!

zondaracer
12th Apr 2016, 12:45
Only the IR has to be done in Europe.

custardpsc
13th Apr 2016, 05:44
What do you mean by preparation? all the required training? or just a brush up after already doing the required EASA training that was a while ago? If the former, The first step would normally be to ask what training your EASA training organisation determines you require for the conversion process and that will tell you where to start and enable you to work out the cost difference (and factor in whatever the FAA currency is worth to you) . I think you'll find that adhoc EASA fixed wing training is hard to come by in the USA, but of course generic multi IR training is relatively abundant. And yes, IR training has to be in European airspace. And it would make sense to do the CPL in the airspace you are going to take the flight test and much easier to get an examiner in europe. Hotel car and daily expenses are going to be 200 usd a day , plus a flight and jet lag recovery time. What about Poland? seems to be the other option for CPL/IR...

Anders S
28th May 2021, 22:46
Only the IR has to be done in Europe.

Bumpity Bump!

I have heard this before, but it has never been fully explained. Where can I find the regulation(s) outlining it? Cheers!