PDA

View Full Version : Heart Palpitations

JimR
9th Apr 2016, 02:46
I've seen some posts with the topic of heart palpitations and I thought I would share my experience in the hope that it might help someone out there who is secretly suffering; secretly being the word, because it is amazing the number of people who suffer from palpitations and only open up when prodded a bit.
Apparently they're quite common and doctors will tell this to their patients which is supposed to be a comfort. Unfortunately, the words don't necessarily help overcome the fears that you are about to die, obviously depending on the severity.
I started to have the odd missed heartbeat in my early 50s. Very gradually they got worse although nothing of too much concern until I was in my early 60s, I am now 71. I of course went to the docs to be given a few basic ecgs and to be told nothing wrong. They started to get worse, although in episodes rather than all the time. Sometimes I would get them several times a minute for several hours. Finally the doc gave me a prescription for a beta blocker - Atenolol. It worked to some extent but didn't cure the problem. I tried monitoring what I was eating (and drinking). There was some corrolation but nothing that I could say had a definitve pattern. Stress? Quite possibly some correlation but not conclusive. The doc gave me more intensive tests: ecg stress test, nuclear stress test, holter monitor. I also had a heart cathetorization. In part these tests were because I suffer from a mild angina if I exercise too rapidly (there are some pretty steep hills around here), although if I walk gently for awhile before building up the force it doesn't happen. Anyway, no significant obstructions. Strange, but that's another story!
So the palpitations continued. Obviously I read a lot, including garbage on the internet. One thing that seemed to be worth trying was a magnesium supplement. I bought some chelated magnesium tablets (ordinary magnesium oxide is not absorbed by the body very well and is just a great laxative; I prefer to live without that!). This was last September. I continued taking the tablets for about 2 months; nothing, the palpitations continued. I almost gave up, thinking this was another false path. I continued taking them for another month and interestingly the palpitations started to diminish. I took a blood test to see what my magnesium level was. You don't need a doctor to request a test in Brazil if you're willing to pay for it. Now a caution; a blood test is not a very good test of the body's magnesium level (that's what I read anyway). However, mine was at the lowest level on the recommended scale, and this after 3 months of taking a supplement! Goodness knows what it was before. I stopped taking the Atenolol but I upped the magnesium level, although somewhat less than some of the recommendations you see on the internet. Now after another 3 months I very rarely have a palpitation, maybe one every couple of days! I walk about 3 kms every other day (or try to if I'm not feeling too lazy) and just live with the angina bit which doesn't seem to get worse unless I stop exercising.
I find it strange that no doctor ever mentioned the possibility of low magnesium level to me but hope this will maybe help someone with this problem and to suggest it to their doctor. One caveat, the remedy is obviously not going to work for everyone, because there are other causes of palpitations. I also haven't mentioned any specific dosages because again this is something that should probably be evaluated by a doctor; I am not.

gingernut
11th Apr 2016, 12:36
It's reasonable to ask your GP for a magnesium level blood test. I wonder what caused your lower level. Are you on an indigestion medicine?

Trying to adjust your own levels without medical guidance is a no no.

JimR
11th Apr 2016, 23:28
Thanks for the reply Gingernut! There doesn't seem to be any obvious reason that the levels are (were) low; no indigestion medication. All blood tests usually come back within parameters. I had my wife take a magnesium level test since I thought maybe there was a dietary deficiency and we eat the same stuff. Nope, everything fine. Maybe just an age thing! I will certainly mention it on my next doctor visit though. We have had "discussions" before. One was regarding statins, he prescribed 10 mg Crestor. I experimented with lower dosages and had blood tests to verify results; 2.5mg seemed to be optimum. He just shrugged his shoulders and agreed that this was probably the correct dosage for me. I just don't like to take medication if it isn't necessary. Difficult patient? I hope not, although a life troubleshooting electronic communication systems and engineering in general, I do find that there are certain parallels in how we tackle problems.

flymo253
12th Apr 2016, 05:17
Hi JimR,

I too have these odd ectopic heartbeats/palpitations. In fact, about 5% of my total beat count are ectopic heart beats. Last year, on my initital class 1 medical, they picked up these palpitationns on an ECG. Following a positive exerise ECG and echo, I did a 24 hour holter which revealed 16% ectopic heart beats. We found out that my excessive tea consumption (2 litres a day!) caused them. So I gave up the tea as well as any other stimulant such as coffee, coke etc. and redid the 24 hour holter. On the second holter they have decreased to 5% which is a great reduction and no problem for the medical class 1. I too took magnesium oxide pills. I doubt that they helped much though..

Heart palpitations often have a psychological reason as well. Stress, excitement and misery can make them worse.

What one should also keep in mind is that basically everyone has them. Some feel them (like you) and some don't (like me). As long as the heart is strutally healthy and they don't appear too often, it should be no problem. Cut out coffee, tea and reduce stress. This might help!

Best regards

JimR
12th Apr 2016, 14:03
flymo, glad you seem to have the situation under control. As I mentioned, I rarely get any now so no problem. One cup of coffee only so ok there. Stress; try driving in Brazil and keep the level down! One thing you say you tried magnesium oxide. Did your doctor prescribe them, because if it's not chelated then it's just basically a laxative plus also there are several other types available; you would need to talk to a doctor to see what's best. Of course if magnesium is not the problem, they ain't going to help. There's a lot of snake oil out there, question everything.

flymo253
14th Apr 2016, 06:27
JimR,

hahaha! Better take the bus. Might be less stressful!

Yes, my GP recommended taking magnesium supplements since magnesium is known to relax the body and the muscles. However, as you already said, I don't think it is very effective unless you have a proven magnesium deficiency. Another mineral you should have enough of in your body is potassium. Eat 1-2 bananas a day and you are fine. ;)

Have you already conducted a 24 hour holter? In my opinion this is quite important to determine 1.) how many ectopic heart beats you have in total and 2.) whether there is a higher cardiac arrhythmia (which we of course don't think you have).

Company Message
15th Apr 2016, 08:42
I've found over the years I get what I've always called "miss-beats" and once read an article that they can be called by not breathing properly (inadvertent holding of breath for very short periods of time).

I've sometimes found myself doing this and relate it on odd occasions to stress and tension from holding my stomach in (I need to lose a stone or two).