PDA

View Full Version : Rolling through red runway end lights

NotaLOT
6th Apr 2016, 14:23
Dear All,

I am looking for examples of airports where a runway has an exit taxiway that is beyond the end of runway markings and runway end lights. It seems that at some airports, landing aircraft are able to roll through the end of runway lights in order to use that exit. Of course the relevant declared distances are only declared to the end of runway markings, and not beyond. ICAO Annex 14 and EASA do not make explicit statements on this issue.

Annex 14 seemingly makes allowances for this, because there are two possible patterns for the red runway end lights, either:

a) equally spaced between the rows of runway edge lights; or
b) symmetrically disposed about the runway centre line in two groups with the lights uniformly spaced in each group and with a gap between the groups of not more than half the distance between the rows of runway edge lights.

Application of pattern (a) would present to the pilots a pattern almost like a stop bar, so the message is clear - do not proceed. However, with pattern (b), there would be a gap in the middle of the runway end light pattern, which may appear to present an opportunity to taxi through.

Do you know of any examples where this happens?

Thanks!

Denti
6th Apr 2016, 14:33
CPH runway 30, if you vacate via K1 through K3 you have to pass the red runway end lights. If i remember correctly they are evenly spaced and look kinda like a red stop bar.

flyinGuppy
6th Apr 2016, 14:35
LPMA, where you have turn pads after the runway end lights because they use starter extensions. http://www.jetphotos.net/photo/7722498

Johnny F@rt Pants
6th Apr 2016, 15:07
Blackpool (EGNH) runway 10 you just run off the end of the runway and follow what then becomes the taxiway.

Musket90
6th Apr 2016, 17:10
Manchester 05R, Gatwick both 08R and 26L

PENKO
6th Apr 2016, 18:22
SEN 23 if I'm not mistaken.

Max Angle
6th Apr 2016, 21:04
Rome FCO on 16 Centre, they don't use it much but the last time I landed on it at night we were asked to vacate at the end which involved rolling straight through the end lights, felt very odd, I was almost waiting for the a/c to sink into the grass.

NotaLOT
7th Apr 2016, 08:14
Many thanks for the responses, it seems this is a regular occurrence in Europe.

What about airports outside of Europe? Has anyone experienced this issue in the US or Australia?