PDA

View Full Version : Kenya Airways to Shed 600 Jobs

Phone Wind
5th Apr 2016, 18:36
Kenya Airways is to shed 600 jobs as part of its 'Operation Pride' restructuring process after its USD251 million loss for the full-year period ending March 31, 2015.

It is also planning to reduce its fleet size by 16 aircraft and has already sold its landing slots at LHR to Oman Air and will lease slots from partner AF/KLM.

On a local level it is now facing a lot of competition on the DAR - NBO route from Fastjet (which also has considerable financial problems) and it will be interesting to see if both carriers are still operating this route this time next year with other local competition having helped to lower fares.

Foxcotte
5th Apr 2016, 19:27
Very sad news for a lot of people directly involved. But also the only way this overinflated behemoth can possibly survive in a competitive world. As well as the lower grade jobs, attention should be given to management, sub-contractors, and contractors. There's a lot of dead wood to shed......

254HEAVY
6th Apr 2016, 07:35
Sad news to the carrier only! most of the talented personnel have either made a move or poached by ME carriers. I know of a ex skipper and few engineers.

JJ is planning a move on one of the E.Africa routes. My money is on the DAR - NBO route.

Phone Wind
6th Apr 2016, 12:40
JJ is planning a move on one of the E.Africa routes. My money is on the DAR - NBO route.

That's been Jambojet's stated plan for a while now. It's good to see that they're operating at a profit, but it has to be remembered that they're a subsidiary of KQ

254HEAVY
9th Apr 2016, 01:15
Yes they are a subsidiary of KQ so the money still goes to the parent company hoping it wouldn't disappear like what's happening to the local banks atm.

On another news some of the flight and cabin crew are to be loaned to ET for some years. I would say this is better than getting nothing! Even though it would have been better to consult the affected parties first and offer them preferences before making excel spreadsheet decisions .

Phone Wind
9th Apr 2016, 12:15
On another news some of the flight and cabin crew are to be loaned to ET for some years. I would say this is better than getting nothing! Even though it would have been better to consult the affected parties first and offer them preferences before making excel spreadsheet decisions .

As I understand it, it is only the pilots from the 777 fleet that are being considered for this. According to 'The Star' Kenya (I know, newspapers and accurate reporting, oxymoron and all that :} ) the 777 pilots have been asked by management to apply for a temporary 3 year posting to ETwith the option of rejoining if the financial turn around plan is successful

Ku_Bilot
11th Apr 2016, 13:17
Trouble in paradise. 😂