PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a day off at Kinloss

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Jun 2002, 09:00
Any suggestions? Never been to Scotland (or Europe)?

PAF

Reichman
26th Jun 2002, 10:44
Get the bus to Aberdeen - then get a flight to England. :D

rivetjoint
26th Jun 2002, 12:05
Make contact with "Big X", apparently!

circle kay
26th Jun 2002, 12:09
RJ shhhh.
tom is only 20' from the wire now.

Pass-A-Frozo
26th Jun 2002, 12:48
To quote Austin Powers...

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight"

Hummingfrog
26th Jun 2002, 15:09
PAF
Don't let these sad people put you off a very beautiful part of our country. For a first time visitor there are plenty of things to do and see. The Highland whiskey trail may appeal to those who haven't visited a distillery and tasted the various free samples on offer. Findhorn bay offers sailing and water skiing when the tide is in. A day trip to Ben Nevis or Cairngorm offers splendid walking/climbing. The west coast of Scotland is also spectacular (providing it is not raining) although coming from Aus you make like to see rain!! The tourist office in Elgin can provide all the details you want. You may also want to visit Joanna's night club in Elgin though the girls may be too tough for a boy from Aus!!
Have a pleasant stay.
HF:)

ComJam
26th Jun 2002, 15:47
Well said HF! Lovely part of the world.

If you've got a night off try Elgin, some nice pubs and of course Joanna's classy night club!

Probably see you there next week :)

PPRuNe Radar
26th Jun 2002, 15:57
The Kimberley in Findhorn nearby does a good curry and pint too. A pleasant walk in the afternoon sun from Kinloss and a stagger back when it shuts ;)

canberra
26th Jun 2002, 16:09
with a day off at kinloss you could; play golf, theres quite a few good courses nearby, the gym staff at kinloss should have details of any deals. as has been said you could go on the whisky (note the correct spelling for scotch whisky) trail, and if your in to fishing youve got river spey nearby, and there is sea fishing as well.

BrizeBoY
26th Jun 2002, 16:47
What is a day off? :(

It was something i used to get a lot of in the RScAF.

I agree, great part of the world, loads to do if you want to do any out door activities. In addition to all of the above, why not do a bit of historty/ sightseeing. Visit the Culloden Battlefield, then down to Loch Ness, then end up with a few pints in Inverness.

Ex F111
26th Jun 2002, 19:21
Bring some Aussy wine and save me some dosh!!

circle kay
26th Jun 2002, 20:28
Pass-A-Frozo
Sorry if my flippant first reply put you off somewhat. As everyone has said there is lots to do up here. Flight planning in Kinloss has many suggestions lots more in the Sgts and Officers mess. The JMC welcome pack you will get on arrival will also help. Look forward to having a beer or ten with you over the next three weeks. Who knows the sun might come out too!
:cool:

canberra
26th Jun 2002, 20:45
dont forget that at this time of year theres very little darkness at kinloss. i was stationed at the range at tain(d703) which is about 20 miles north of kinloss. one year we played cricket on the longest day until 2330!

donpizmeov
26th Jun 2002, 20:49
If you ask very nicely, one of the resident Oz exchanges might even show you around. You'll never never know, if you never never go!
Don

Pass-A-Frozo
27th Jun 2002, 01:02
I'm going to try my best not to get **** faced the night before the day off and sleep all day. Should be there in mid to late July :) Although I'm not sure I'll understand anyone in the North of Scotland :D

Anyone know any touristy web sites I could look at, We are having a day off at Briz Norton too.

circle kay
27th Jun 2002, 07:12
P A F
For Kinloss and Elgin try http://www.moray.gov.uk/area.html
For Inverness try http://www.highland.gov.uk/links/tourism.htm
Lots for Brize / Oxford. Sugestions form the Brize Pruners?

Big Tudor
27th Jun 2002, 08:55
Is the Crown & Anchor still going strong in Findhorn? Used to serve a fantastic range of beers & ales. 44 club & 88 club were always good for a laugh, as were the bronze, silver and gold awards. Landlord was spitting image of Omar Shariff.

GR7
27th Jun 2002, 09:53
The local town of Forres has its own 'quality' nightclub - the Mossett!!

This outstanding venue is not to be missed!

Huron Topp
27th Jun 2002, 13:56
hehe...still have a Battlefield sign liberated by one of our AESOps back in the '80s. Made the mistake of recounting that my old man had liberated one back in the '60s while flying the mighty Argus.

I didn't do it...you can't prove it...and I have no such knowledge of any such events...:rolleyes:

BrizeBoY
27th Jun 2002, 19:09
P-A-F

At Brize, you could stay local lots dto do and see in Oxford. Or go to Stratford On Avon if you want some Shakespere, or even venture down the smoke (London) go to Covent Garden at chat to loads of Aussies:D, or just get royally messed up in some of the best country pubs in the country!!!!! [URL=http://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk]

Cheers
BB

Pass-A-Frozo
29th Jun 2002, 08:15
I think visiting the "centre of learning" would be great (Oxford of course). However I suspect I'll end up "royal messed up" on English ale, and end up with effectively a half day off in Oxford. God help me if I get so drunk I end up drinking Fosters in England!! :D

JimNich
30th Jun 2002, 16:37
......y'could always hire my services t'go puddle jumping. Flying club here got good aircraft and much cheapness (for UK) but the pilots are crap (I go w@nkered else I scare the **** outta myself). 20 min flight to Dornoch where you can take a cheap taxi to Skibo Castle (some yank disco doris got married there). Anyway, don't go into any of the "clubs" sober, you don't want to see your one night stand with anything less than five pints inside you (don't worry she'll'll have had ten).

FL001
9th Jul 2002, 19:19
my last day off in kinloss was spent filling in a PVR request. Very productive it was too!!

Pass-A-Frozo
11th Jul 2002, 10:13
No day off in Kinloss now :( Getting two days off in Germany though :)

Arkroyal
11th Jul 2002, 20:41
Paz

Be wary of Hummingfrog's attempt to lure you. Anyone with local knowledge would know that Scotch is spelled Whisky.

Only the Irish and new-worlders spell it with an 'e'.

Hummingfrog
12th Jul 2002, 13:55
Och Aye AK
Just because I'm English and can't spell Scottish/Gaelic/Doric/Glaswegian doesn't mean I have no local knowledge. Have you ever been to this wonderful part of the UK. I have spent 15yrs in this land of no traffic jams, unless you count Elgin's 15 min rush hour!! that is.

HF
(you never mention 1966 up here):)

ComJam
14th Jul 2002, 13:58
1966? What happened then? ;)

Pass-A-Frozo
31st Jul 2002, 02:02
I want to move to Scotland now! :)

Only spent an evening in Elgin. Drove to Inverness, drove back. Stoped at Cawdor castle it was closed :( . Reveresed up the exit driveway and caught a glipse. Hotel bar and left :(

I loved what I saw though!