PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a pacemaker

truthinbeer
4th Apr 2016, 00:51
Can anyone comment on what the CASA policy is on flying with pacemaker...or not?

LeadSled
4th Apr 2016, 09:47
Truthinbeer,
Much like any other cardiac procedure, minimum six months off, then a string of test more or less as per post heart bypass or stents, and it all depends on the results.
Tootle

Cloudee
4th Apr 2016, 10:07
Many commercial pilots fly with pacemakers. There are different types of pacemakers so different requirements but six months off is definitely not mandatory for all.

truthinbeer
4th Apr 2016, 10:13
Thanks Leadsled & Cloudee. I note from the search facility someone quoted CAA regs stating 3 months so maybe CASA similar. We are not talking a defib pacemaker so I guess would be at the lesser end of the scale.

Egipps
5th Apr 2016, 03:47
With a defib their policy is 'NO'. Friend found this out after many tests requested, all passed. Then letter saying pacemaker with defib was a NO. Hmm why didn't they say this in the beginning given the pacemaker/defib has been in place, and disclosed, throughout.

Sunfish
5th Apr 2016, 21:43
CASA is right. I have a friend who has a defibrillator pacemaker. I've seen what happens to him when the defib is triggered. Take it from me, you most definitely don't want to be flying without a safety pilot if you have one of these.

truthinbeer
6th Apr 2016, 06:26
Egipps, Sunfish, I am talking just plain old garden variety pacemaker. Allowed or not?

LeadSled
6th Apr 2016, 09:14
truthinbeer,
Get onto the CASA web site, get the DAME handbook, and take it to your GP or cardiologist, for a translation.
The are lots of pilots flying with a pacemaker.
Tootle pip!!

truthinbeer
6th Apr 2016, 10:08
Thanks Leadsled. I have already done that for this result.
https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2014C01095/Html/Volume_2#_Toc399231465
Cardiovascular system
Has no safety‑relevant heart abnormality
Systolic and diastolic blood pressures are within limits specified by CASA from time to time in the Designated Aviation Medical Examiner’s Handbook (even if approved drugs are used to maintain the blood pressure within those limits)
Has no significant functional or structural abnormality of the circulatory tree

None the wiser I called Casa avmed. They could not give me any clearer picture and in fact I had to direct them to the above clause in the legislation. Essentially they said go get a medical and we will review it when we receive it. Clear as mud and very Yes Minister.
Not impressed with the response.
Your response and that of Cloudee assuring me many CPL flying with pm's gives me hope. Thanks.

tail wheel
7th Apr 2016, 01:01
Ask Jerry Hall? She should know..... :}

truthinbeer
7th Apr 2016, 11:47
tail wheel, pacemaker maybe, but I would never have expected Jerry thought she was flying. I expect Rupert would have something different to say.

vydytcad
8th Apr 2016, 10:04
truthinbeer,

the ambiguity in the legislation also gives you hope that the doors are not closed.

it's best to be in touch with a DAME.