PDA

View Full Version : California freeway crash: One dead as plane hits car near San Diego

cats_five
3rd Apr 2016, 10:38
California freeway crash: One dead as plane hits car near San Diego - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35953183)

"In 2000, a former owner guided the same Lancair IV down on to the same freeway after its engine failed."

Tinstaafl
3rd Apr 2016, 22:47
Jeez, that plane and that freeway really don't like each other...

Pilot DAR
3rd Apr 2016, 23:07
That area has few suitable forced landing zones, and the really tempting looking highway. Unfortunately, if it all goes suddenly quiet, you're looking at a steep and rugged hillside, or that highway.

Pace
4th Apr 2016, 08:22
I don't want to be in that position but am sure a highway landing has gone through most of our minds as a possibility
Landing with the traffic flow rather than against it speeds should be roughly the same so in most cases you should get away without to much Damage to yourself or others
Obviously if its congested And slow moving a big problem but I can see the temptation if there is nowhere else suitable
Goes back to the forced landing thread
Always have a plan B and even C and don't fixate on only one landing spot if it's not looking good
Very sad for the victims of this crash (

Pace

The Ancient Geek
4th Apr 2016, 09:42
According to the URL above, the car driver pulled over onto the hard shoulder to answer his phone. Not a lot that the pilot could do at the last moment landing with the traffic and somone stops..

Wageslave
4th Apr 2016, 10:21
...or someone had already stopped and the a/c veered off the road into it. (which was how I interpreted it)