PDA

View Full Version : Iran - Air France stewardesses to wear scarves

crewmeal
3rd Apr 2016, 06:32
An interesting article in the Express. Would other carriers force female crew to follow suit? (Apart from Middle East carriers of course)

Outrage as airline orders stewardesses to wear Islamic-style headscarf when flying to Iran | World | News | Daily Express (http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/657762/air-france-stewardesses-islamic-style-headscarves-iran)

Bagso
3rd Apr 2016, 08:09
Outrage ?

What a complete non story

ATNotts
3rd Apr 2016, 09:46
Outrage ?

What a complete non story
Outrage? - So far as Express readers are concerned, yes!

I wouldn't mind betting they'll be inferring that it's an EU directive, and the British carriers will have to follow suit.

DaveReidUK
3rd Apr 2016, 11:00
Outrage? - So far as Express readers are concerned, yes!

I wouldn't mind betting they'll be inferring that it's an EU directive, and the British carriers will have to follow suit.

Standy by for a rush of people who have read the article, who will be happy to take your bet. :O

Diverskii
4th Apr 2016, 10:24
Typical Express nonsense I'd say.

Chronus
4th Apr 2016, 18:37
Unless male flight crews are also required to wear a Keffiyeh, and female flight crews a scarf, I would suggest this thread belongs in the Cabin Crew forum.

N`est pas mes oignons ?

Curious Pax
4th Apr 2016, 20:50
Granted it was flights to Saudi in that instance, but there was a kerfuffle with a bmi hostie getting sacked in 2009 for refusing to wear the proscribed headgear to operate the route.

Global_Global
4th Apr 2016, 21:01
Yes and the aircraft need to have engines too... complete outrage!

vctenderness
5th Apr 2016, 08:30
BA provided abayas on Teheran flights and females, including pilots, had to wear them from de-planing to arrival in room at hotel.

It was always a controversial issue.

Chronus
6th Apr 2016, 20:20
Iran officials have signed two agreements with Airbus covering new aircraft orders and a comprehensive civil aviation co-operation package. The agreements were signed at the Élysée Palace, Paris, during Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s official visit to France with French President François Hollande.
Perhaps it is all to do with the second agreement, the co-operation one.

See Iran selects Airbus for its civil aviation renewal | Airbus Press release (http://www.airbus.com/presscentre/pressreleases/press-release-detail/detail/iran-deal/)

wiggy
6th Apr 2016, 20:40
I think this is the third pprune thread on the topic - FWIW the English speaking media haven't really accurately grasped the fact that the gripes weren't about head scarves on board - that almost certainly isn't true. According to French outlets the problem is that AF management had informed crew that there were going to be quite severe restrictions on what female crew members (pilots or cabin crew) could wear outside the confines of their rooms during the Teheran slip ( it sounds like the rules vctendrness describes are still in place - i.e. all the garb on even to walk to the end of the corridor...).

In any event it's supposedly all solved now that female crew members can opt off the route.