PDA

View Full Version : Russian airlines

saxmund
2nd Apr 2016, 17:10
I am planning a trip to Russia in Sept/Oct, starting at St Petersburg and ending up around Volgograd. I am quite happy to take overnight trains a lot of the time as it will save on hotels, however it may sometimes cut a journey short to fly. Having been a lurker on here for a while I have heard many bad things about Russian airlines, even Aeroflot as some flights branded as Aeroflot flights are actually operated by subcontractors.

Are there any Russian airlines the denizens of this newsgroup would choose to fly on, or am I exaggerating the level of risk?

Mark in CA
6th Apr 2016, 14:29
I've only been to Russia once, in 2008, and only flew between St. Petersburg and Moscow. For these flights I chose what at that time was a relatively new airline, Sky Express. Back then they had brand new Boeing 737s that were maintained by Lufthansa. Good experience all around with the airline itself, but Russian airports are another matter altogether.

SKY EXPRESS (http://www.skyexpress.ru/en/)

ExXB
6th Apr 2016, 15:05
While Russian built aircraft may not have the same record as western built aircraft it does not meabpn that aeroplanes are falling out of skies every day in Russia. Considering the number of flights each and every day aviation has a very good safety record.

Many Russian airlines have Western built aircraft and safety records as good as western airlines. Just consider the number of 'unscheduled hull retirements' Air France has had over the last 30 years. .

The Russian authorities appear to be maintaining an acceptable level of safety. I wouldn't think twice before taking a flight in Russia.

flash8
6th Apr 2016, 16:40
Having lived in Russia since 1999 and flown on Russian carriers likely over a thousand times with many internal flights.... still here!

You'll be fine.

Capot
6th Apr 2016, 17:09
Long distance Russian trains are a fabulous experience, why go round the country at 35,000 ft when you could be enjoying the train ride?

As for Russian airlines, well, hmmm, maybe the oversight isn't all it should be, but let's not forget that measured against the total pass/miles flown on Russian airlines their record of fatal accidents wasn't, when I last looked, much different from many countries whose aviation is usually regarded as "safe" although it sometimes isn't.

"Tu parle de moi?"...... "Non, bien sūr, je parle de ta soeur jumelle."

caiman27
10th Apr 2016, 11:36
These days the old Russian-built aircraft have just about gone. I don't think there's any Tu-154 flying in public passenger service and maybe only a couple of Tu-134s. Not sure about Yak-42 but again not many left. The vast majority of aircraft flying in Russia are Boeing or Airbus.

Phileas Fogg
11th Apr 2016, 09:02
Russia, particularly Aeroflot, have perhaps the worst safety record going but when one reads in to just some of the accident reports many were during the soviet era when Aeroflot might have been flying a military contract, perhaps in a rotary wing, and in the crappiest of weathers to the crappiest of airports.

I haven't flown domestically within Russia, only Austrian to/from LED (SPb), but I have flown domestically, and significantly, within Ukraine flying on such types as AN24, Tu134, Yak42 and AN140.

The AN24 is a piece of crap, that is the type I most flew on, and I understand, I don't know for sure, that it's single engine performance ain't all that.

The Yak42, one was served a cup with a tea bag in before another hostie came round with an old-fashioned kettle of hot water that looked like she'd just taken from a gas ring.

The Tu134, ODS has the bumpiest runway I have ever experienced, it was a pretty empty flight, the seat backs didn't lock in to position, so as we landed and reverse thrust applied the seats went forward in a domino effect ... I had to climb out of my window seat.

The AN140 ... Oh that was lovely, a delayed evening flight, a few of us pax had become friends and were having a laugh, we landed in a horrendous snowstorm at OZH, the runway wasn't visible for snow, but by then we were having such a laugh we didn't really care!

When I recently read the headline of a B737 crash in Rostov you might imagine I thought "here we go again" and to my, then, surprise it wasn't an FSU airline ... Just shows you, you never can tell!

barry lloyd
11th Apr 2016, 09:37
I would generally agree with the above comments, save for a few words of warning about the overnight trains. Be prepared to share a compartment with another person or three, depending on which class you're travelling. Make sure the compartment door is well locked - there have been reports of thieves operating on the long-distance overnight trains, especially St Petersburg to Moscow and vv because a lot of foreigners use it. I have never experienced it myself, but there was an incident on one of the trains I was on.

I never enjoyed the overnight train journeys myself and I did many of them, but we're all different, so whatever floats your boat!

ExXB
11th Apr 2016, 12:25
I believe Aeroflot has the Sukhoi Superjet. 50 once all are delivered. It doesn't have a stellar record so far with two unscheduled hull retirements on demonstration flights. Only time will tell if it will meet Western safety records in service.

Businesstraveller
11th Apr 2016, 12:31
A few years back I flew with Aeroflot from London to Moscow and then on to Tashkent (rtn.). All flights were on Boeing aircraft and perfectly pleasant. My opinion is in no way influenced by having been bumped from Economy to Business due to overcrowding.
The only issue came when the Russian check-in desk assistant at Heathrow took several minutes to accept that although my Uzbek visa wasn't valid until the next day, that this was fine, as the second leg of my journey wouldn't arrive until the small hours the next day. She looked at me like I was trying to pull a fast one.
Frankly I was more concerned when I realised my internal Uzbekistan Airways flight was on a Tupelov!

mockingjay
11th Apr 2016, 12:40
Given the scale of SU and the challenging environment they operate in, they've actually got a good record. It's been almost 20 years since SU mainline lost a hull. The only soviet aircraft in operation is the SSJ - but test flying whilst fatigued was never going to work and flying IMC below MSA with EGPWS switched off is going to end in tears regardless of the type. The SSJ is a fairly robust machine.

Aeroflot and S7 would be the only two I'd fly on. Most of the babyFlots have shut down thankfully. S7 also have a modern fleet however their recently safety record isn't fantastic.

WHBM
12th Apr 2016, 07:45
The only soviet aircraft in operation is the SSJ

The Sukhoi Superjet is wholly a modern Russian type - the Soviet Union ceased to exist in1991. That's 25 years ago.

Russian carriers, and others like Kazakhstan, are fine, and feel a lot better handled than some. Most of the crews are ex-military. The old Soviet types have indeed pretty much gone, but there are still a few around if you know where to look - it's been a few years since I was on a Tupolev, but they were notably well built and up to standard. On routes to Western Europe the cabin service can beat the competing western carrier hands-down. I always look forward to the flights.

I'm looking forward to the SSJ coming to London City with Cityjet next year.

HeartyMeatballs
12th Apr 2016, 10:55
Being ex military is neither here nor there IMHO. Many of Turkish Airlines pilots are ex military and they have had way more than their fair share of prangs.

DaveReidUK
12th Apr 2016, 11:16
it's been a few years since I was on a Tupolev, but they were notably well built and up to standard

I agree, I recall both the TU-134 and the IL-18 being a joy to fly on - the former being the only aircraft I've encountered that had skylights in the bogs !

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/9/4/7/2802749.jpg

WHBM
12th Apr 2016, 11:33
For those who thought the Tu154 is like something from a past generation, here's inside the cabin of one, with a pleasant multilingual Rossiya flight attendant beyond. Looks pretty well up to standard to me :)

Incidentally, Russian crews are known within the country for competence in landing well, and to tell the truth I never had anything other than a greaser from them on the former Soviet types, even landing in a blizzard, which of course they are experts in. The substantial and solid landing gear of the old types of course helps

HeartyMeatballs
12th Apr 2016, 16:03
Greasers are lovely, but if they're chewing up half of the runway to achieve them then I'd rather come back down to earth with a bump and get the thing slowing down.

WHBM
12th Apr 2016, 16:37
but if they're chewing up half of the runway to achieve them then I'd rather come back down to earth with a bump and get the thing slowing down. I think Russian crews, like most of us, have a pretty good understanding of that, something which most of us got a handle on in our Cessna 152s before our first solo.

HeartyMeatballs
12th Apr 2016, 18:51
I disagree. I'm some parts of the world long landings, unstable approaches and over runs are an almost weekly occursnce. Right place, right speed, right time, every time is what it's all about. Getting a smooth touch down is just a bonus.

Heathrow Harry
13th Apr 2016, 14:22
before they moved to Changi SQ arrivals at Paya Lebar used to be like something out of Top Gun - hammer it onto the tarmac as ahrd as you could - but there was a nsaty bump half way down the runway as I believe Bangladesh Biman discovered one day...................

Phileas Fogg
14th Apr 2016, 04:28
And what is so wrong with a TU154 airliner ... that is built like a brick toilet, it saved these passengers and crew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alrosa_Mirny_Air_Enterprise_Flight_514

WHBM
14th Apr 2016, 07:01
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alrosa_Mirny_Air_Enterprise_Flight_514

After evacuating the aircraft and while awaiting rescue, some of the passengers searched for mushrooms, a popular pastime in Russia
Wonderful ! Only in Russia :D

barry lloyd
15th Apr 2016, 13:29
It's not the flying I'd be worrying about - it's the roads. I speak as one who had a good friend and colleague killed in a road accident near Sheremetyevo.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5RAaW_1FzYg?autoplay=1&modestbranding=1&rel=0&s

Phileas Fogg
15th Apr 2016, 13:58
You ain't seen nothing compared to where I am ... How many can you get on a Honda motorcycle?

https://c3.staticflickr.com/9/8392/8585596162_4cde0d336f_b.jpg

edi_local
15th Apr 2016, 17:45
I just came back from Russia 2 days ago. I took the train from Moscow to Vladivostok, stopping off in several places along the way, was fantastic. If you're not short of time then the train is the best way to see and experience the country.

Having said that of course, when I got to Vladivostok I did have to get back and chose to fly back. Aeroflot fly the 777 and A330 on their long haul domestic flights. They were very good actually. I found the A330 comfortable, a great IFE system, nice enough crew, but nothing that special. The captain was very enthusiastic with his tannoy calls too, which was nice. They gave us 2 full hot meals during the flight, which is more than most European carriers offer even on long haul international. The food was pretty good too.

DME is a bit of a graveyard for the old Tupolev, Illyshin and Antonovs, there are plenty of them gathering rust on remote stands and grassy areas. Indeed most of the Transaero fleet seems to have joined them. I personally saw plenty of Sukhoi jets in Aeroflot and Red Wings colours. Red Wings also had some TU204s which is also a fine aircraft (or at least my flights on Air Koryo were ok). I also noticed some regional carriers using the Antonov 158, which I've also used with Cubana, and again, is perfectly fine. The Let 410 is also operating some hopper flights around the Baikal region, I met one of their pilots on my travels and he seemed happy enough. The airline name escapes me though.

Phoenix1969
16th Apr 2016, 09:17
You're about to fly on a Russian airline?

Here's what awaits you ;-) .https://youtu.be/TSK2gLDpOYY

Heathrow Harry
16th Apr 2016, 12:34
Phileas - is that Indonesia?

Phileas Fogg
17th Apr 2016, 02:04
Philippines HH ... Just google for habal-habal

flash8
17th Apr 2016, 07:41
DME is a bit of a graveyard for the old Tupolev, Illyshin and Antonovs, there are plenty of them gathering rust on remote stands and grassy areas.

Been like that many years, since the 90's although the Airport itself has gone through significant transformation (for the better to compete against SVO2). Suspect some hulls parked upwards of fifteen years, took photo in '04 of IL-62's among others... seem still to be parked there this year!

Heathrow Harry
18th Apr 2016, 14:37
Thanks Mr Fogg

Seen 5 and a (small ) pig on a motorbike (without any mods) in Bali