PDA

View Full Version : FR3445 7700 after birdstrike

philbky
1st Apr 2016, 17:45
Ryanair 3445 Manchester to Palma EI-DWZ B738 is in the Rosen hold north of MAN with squawk 7700 after birdstrike on take off at 17.50.

Hahn
1st Apr 2016, 17:51
Must have been a bigger bird then.

philbky
1st Apr 2016, 18:00
Now safely down at MAN

TopSwiss 737
1st Apr 2016, 18:02
It just landed om runway 23R after being airborne for one hour, and appeared to taxi off the runway normally under own power.

a1anx
1st Apr 2016, 18:20
Ryanair flight has declared a midair emergency above Manchester (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/01/ryanair-flight-has-declared-a-midair-emergency-above-manchester/)

Brigantee
1st Apr 2016, 20:07
Wow a birdstrike..... Thats not something that happens every day is it , Well worth letting us know cheers

Hotel Tango
1st Apr 2016, 20:21
.....not to mention:

and appeared to taxi off the runway normally under own power.

:eek: :oh:

philbky
8th Apr 2016, 17:42
Brigante, just seen your sarcastic response. At the time of my first post the aircraft had been in the hold for almost an hour with no explanation on any forum I could find and with speculation in the local Manchester media including photos of it at, quote, "unusually low levels" over Rochdale and Bury. A long hold immediately after take off is unusual.

I had factual information from a reliable source so I posted it. If you have a problem with that, you badly need something worthwhile on which to vent your sarcasm. Ditto Hotel Tango.

atpcliff
8th Apr 2016, 21:31
On larger aircraft, a birdstrike is often not even noticed. It must have been really bad to declare an emergency...

RAT 5
11th Apr 2016, 08:26
Why is this topic in 'Spotters' and not 'Tech'?

I assume they shut down the damaged engine and were therefore on 1 engine. The QRH instructs/advices "land at nearest suitable airport." i.e. without delay. A B738 can land at any takeoff weight. The max landing weight is for planning purposes. Thus, it is a discussion point whether to land ASAP above max landing weight or to delay landing with only 1 engine available. It is only the instruments that tell you there is any apparent damage to the good engine. My idea is the good engine is to get you on the ground ASAP and not to allow you to burn off fuel to achieve what is a planning limit and not a structural one.
Comments?

atpcliff
11th Apr 2016, 13:20
We had the same at my airline (747) company suggested he land immediately, overweight. Capt decided to burn fuel to max landing weight. In mountainous terrain. I would have landed overweight. 1 engine was completely destroyed.

DaveReidUK
11th Apr 2016, 15:52
We had the same at my airline (747) company suggested he land immediately, overweight. Capt decided to burn fuel to max landing weight. In mountainous terrain.

Well at least your captain didn't fly right across the North Atlantic on 3 ...

RAT 5
12th Apr 2016, 16:36
I wonder how many B737 Captains know it can land at MTOW, if necessary. What would you, as CP, be saying to a crew who deliberately delayed a SE landing? If that was the case. More info please. I also wonder how fuel burn off was done: in the hold with Spd Brake or at UP speed?

philbky
12th Apr 2016, 17:59
Why is this topic in 'Spotters' and not 'Tech'?

I assume they shut down the damaged engine and were therefore on 1 engine. The QRH instructs/advices "land at nearest suitable airport." i.e. without delay. A B738 can land at any takeoff weight. The max landing weight is for planning purposes. Thus, it is a discussion point whether to land ASAP above max landing weight or to delay landing with only 1 engine available. It is only the instruments that tell you there is any apparent damage to the good engine. My idea is the good engine is to get you on the ground ASAP and not to allow you to burn off fuel to achieve what is a planning limit and not a structural one.
Comments?

The Mods moved it here from Rumours and News

Evanelpus
13th Apr 2016, 09:05
I wonder how many B737 Captains know it can land at MTOW, if necessary.

If this is correct, I'd like to think that all 737 captains know this.:ugh: