PDA

View Full Version : US Airways

Capt Pit Bull
26th Jun 2002, 00:18
A mate in the USA has just pointed me at this:

US Airways (http://finance.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4575372%255E14305,00.html)

CPB

Desk Driver
26th Jun 2002, 07:57
Not a big surprise. US have been teetering on the brink for a while. If you remember UA were all set to buy them pre 9/11 because they had problems then. For US to survive this long signals to me that they are going to survive. I just hope that the lessors understand that it's better to get your money later than expected than getting all your 330's & 76's back, after all where would you place them?

Anyway the rumour on the street I work on states that 2 major US carriers will be Chapter 11 shortly.

erjdriver
27th Jun 2002, 03:33
Perhaps filing for Chapter 11 is not that bad. USAir needs a new start, and it won't come if the old mentality with which it has operated thus far will persist.
Look at Continental, it was at the bottom a few years ago, and now it's one of the healthiest companies around, but it took a Ch.11.

Time will tell. As a US Airways Express driver, my job depends on the success of USAir... I certainly wish it the best.

Gaston777
27th Jun 2002, 09:16
Hey there,

just out of curiosity (I m not too familiar with the US market)
what is the other US airline that could go down ? Is it United or maybe Delta ?
Thanks
And what is that chap 11 you are refering to ?
Jeff

Crowe
27th Jun 2002, 15:35
Good luck to USAirways, and the guys like ERJdriver.

I fly on US out of MAN fairly regularly, and reckon they are the best transatlantic US airline (certainly beat United hands down).

Covenant
28th Jun 2002, 19:50
I second that. Good luck to US Airways and their subsidiaries. I know that it's a rather obvious choice for me anyway, but they are definitely my carrier of choice for both domestic and transatlantic flights. In fact, they are the only airline on which I have achieved gold status in a frequent flier programme!

I just wanted to relay a short story, for which I regret never having got round to formally thanking US Airways and their staff.

Last year, my father was taken extremely ill suddenly (and terminally as it turned out). US Airways not only got me on the next available flight back to England, but also gave me a discount fare into the bargain. Then, just to top it off, they gave me free rein to alter my return date, subject to availability, without penalty.

Thanks to all at US Airways, and good luck!

BryanC123
29th Jun 2002, 14:19
Well its not a surprise. Large percentage of US passengers not happy about flying and with 90% of US residents not even owning a passport, it leaves the other 10% to fill the flights and this isnt happening.

Wish them all the luck as the job loses would be ****ty